Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Sunscape Speedometer troubleshooting

Long story. I suspected pitot tube issue, possible MDC damage. Just bought NL2 GPS unit to plug into back of speedometer. Can't get it to calibrate. Gentleman at Nauticlaugic offered to have me send my speedometer and NL2 back to him and he will see if he can get them to work together. He said it could be the speedometer.

I never entertained that idea early on. Always thought it was pitot or MDC.

My question is this. Is there a way to test the gauge somehow before sending it to him? It responds to the key being turned on and the gauge lights up. I'm just trying to rule things out. For the life of me have no idea how I could test this gauge.

Thanks for any help.

If I swap it with another connector I'll just get power, which it already gets now. It doesn't tell me if it functions correctly with a signal. Granted, I'm assuming the NL2 product isn't defective.

22 minutes ago, mnmarty said:

If I swap it with another connector I'll just get power, which it already gets now. It doesn't tell me if it functions correctly with a signal. Granted, I'm assuming the NL2 product isn't defective.

No, you should get speed.  The bus handles all the signals so swapping a gauge will tell you if it is the gauge r something else.

The NauticLaugic gentleman mentioned the 7 volts of power to the unit. If there is slightly less it may not work. That's why I tried to calibrate after starting the engine since there may be slightly more voltage. Still didn't work. I'll go and check the voltage per the Bakes pdf. I feel like I'm still missing something. Even if I get correct voltage to the unit, that tells me the wiring harness isn't defective. But if the MDC is not sending a speed signal or the pitot tubes are messed up, it still doesn't tell me whether the gauge is defective. Correct? How can one check if the servos are damaged?

8 hours ago, mnmarty said:

How can one check if the servos are damaged?

Some examples are the needle not sweeping 0-100; sweeps but sticks at a point >0 and/or <100; needle stuck at >0 and <100 (my old tach started at 3000 RPM - vroom, vroom! - LOL) etc.