Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2021 23LSV

ridethatbike

I'm feeling pretty good about the deal, but still a little nervous about such a big purchase. I'm buying this one off the lot, and I'd say if I were to spec one, it'd be pretty dang close to how it stands. Maybe I'd add a motorized captain's chair.

This is our first boat purchase, and I'm aware that this is a helluva boat for boat #1, but I grew up with a boat so it's not completely foreign to me. Growing up with one is not the same as buying one, obviously. So what should I be asking the dealer? We're heading out for a demo next week before signing paperwork, and most of the questions in my head revolve around maintenance and towing, two things you don't want to screw around with. The boat itself, well, once you get over all the screens, seems pretty straight forward. There is just 4 different ways to do nearly everything.

I'll post pics once the ink dries. We're buying this boat for our boys (12 and 16) and am excited to make some memories on the water!

• Like 4

Congrats 

so many folks on here will help with anything you need. I’m on second new boat in a year. Memories with the family is why I did it . I think most will agree that you’re lucky to find a new boat available. Many of us are waiting on boats ordered last fall. Have a great summer 

• Like 3
On 4/9/2021 at 9:41 AM, BigCreek said:

Best suggestion I can give is to get your kids involved with the crappy end of owning a boat too. First and foremost, the responsibility of safety and the rules of the water. Then, a close second, of not screwing up Dad's boat. Then how to assist with operation of the boat in the marina/ramp area and on the water, then how to maintain the boat after every trip. How to get their visitor buddies in line. How and where to put the fenders and ropes when parking at a dock. A good 1st mate (or 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) is the absolute best thing any boat captain can ask for, especially one that is at the helm of a v-drive for the first time. 

With proper oversight of course - as soon as possible, get your 16 year old capable of backing the boat down the ramp, and parking the truck & empty trailer. Get your 12 year old capable of being his second set of eyes. Eventually get them at the helm of the boat with you in his ear teaching what he should be doing & thinking while underway. Believe it or not, one day, you will get tired of being the driver every minute.

One day, not so far in the future, when you are chillin in the bow, cruising with your lady and a couple of cold drinks, with your fully capable kid at the wheel, throw a cheers up for me!

This is fantastic advice.  The entire family need to be part of boat ownership and maintenance.  

I'm getting my RLXi out of storage next weekend and the following week will be preparing it for it's dip.  The kids will be helping.  Same with our new boat.  They'll all (4 of them) have a job each time we're out and that job will rotate.  This goes for assisting with launching, trailering, loading with gear, unloading, wiping down, teaching visitors the "right" way to be a boat guest, trash location, food location, what food and drink is allowable and what is not, etc.  It's all part of ownership.    

Edited by Slayer
  • Like 2

I was in the same situation as you, had always had older ski boats and bought a new Malibu 21 MLX in 2018, my boys where 8 and 12 and hesitant to spend that much.  I took this as an opportunity to teach them and let them help with the ownership experience.  We put close to 500 hours on that boat and fast forward to this year we just picked up our new 2021 25 LSV.  My boys can drive it, back the trailer up, clean it and do pretty much everything else required.  

Not much maintenance required on a new boat, just fluid changes, wipe it down after every outing and keep it waxed.  

• Like 2

Thanks all! This is some great advice. I certainly hadn't considered the parenting part of this. I think the boys will certainly appreciate it a bit more when dad doesn't have to do everything!

5 hours ago, BigCreek said:

Best suggestion I can give is to get your kids involved with the crappy end of owning a boat too. First and foremost, the responsibility of safety and the rules of the water. Then, a close second, of not screwing up Dad's boat. Then how to assist with operation of the boat in the marina/ramp area and on the water, then how to maintain the boat after every trip. How to get their visitor buddies in line. How and where to put the fenders and ropes when parking at a dock. A good 1st mate (or 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) is the absolute best thing any boat captain can ask for, especially one that is at the helm of a v-drive for the first time. 

With proper oversight of course - as soon as possible, get your 16 year old capable of backing the boat down the ramp, and parking the truck & empty trailer. Get your 12 year old capable of being his second set of eyes. Eventually get them at the helm of the boat with you in his ear teaching what he should be doing & thinking while underway. Believe it or not, one day, you will get tired of being the driver every minute.

One day, not so far in the future, when you are chillin in the bow, cruising with your lady and a couple of cold drinks, with your fully capable kid at the wheel, throw a cheers up for me!

This reply really hits home with me. My kids are 13/boy and 17/girl.  Our last boat we had for 2 seasons when the kids were very young and zero help.  This time around I'm searching for how to get them onboard with all the things you mentioned above.  Would love to have someone besides myself able to back and haul out the boat.  Honestly don't trust my wife as it just doesn't fit within her skills and personality which is fine but put's everything back on my shoulders.  

6 hours ago, BigCreek said:

I think that that this is also a great way to have something in common with your kids that helps to build a solid relationship.  I have 2 girls - 11 & 13.  I don't have any expectations that they will be changing the oil by themselves any time soon, when we pull into the lift at the end of the day, they immediately jump into action wiping down the interior and exterior.  I used to have to ask, but not anymore.  My oldest is also showing interest in driving, which I love.  We are a ways away from her pulling anyone, but i can see her taking friends up the the lake in several years by herself.  Other than fueling, the kids pretty much take care of wiping and covering the jet ski by themselves.

If we had to trailer, it would be an issue - my wife, who has many great qualities, does not have the skill set or desire to back a trailer or drive the boat.  I would have be "that guy" at the ramp having to do it all and taking way too much time in the slot.

with covid our crew count dropped to the reliables. We still could have 6-8 for an outing with my sons freinds usually making up over half the crew. all of them have been out with us many times.

Almost no words need to be spoken for launching and taking care of the boat when we are done. I have to do vary little. It's great

• Like 1

On the boat purchase, we bought a new 22 LSV last year and ended up with just over 100 hours on it.  We really did not have a boat purchase on the radar, my wife's niece sent some pictures to the family group txt one Friday night, by Monday AM I was shopping, 2 weeks later we bought one.  We had an old faithful 18' 6" Key West so the Malibu was a big change.

Not knowing anything about surf boats the first one was not optioned the way we would have with experience so traded in on a 2021 23 MXZ ordered to suit us.  It is at the dealer being prepped for pickup in the next couple of weeks.  COVID boat prices helped with the trade-in value so not too unhappy with that.  The risk of first boat buying the way you are is that you might find you wish you had some option you might have purchased after 30 hours on the water.

I you want to burn some hours you could search on the forums for any options you are not getting and see what others have said about them.  Or you could ask in this thread and see what pops up.  Lots of people think for example that the fold down swim step is silly except for the very young and old.  Pretty much every lady in our crew sit there from time to time and chat rather than jumping in to relieve themselves.  Taking to others and reading in the forum that seems to be pretty universal.  Never thought of that when we were shopping the first time.  We ordered the power seat because I like to look over the wind screen to drive and can't with the STD seat without sitting on something (I am 5' 10"), but with the power seat I can sit flat in the seat and see over.  Things like that.

On the parenting sub topic I agree wholeheartedly about getting them involved with start to finish.  Anything legal and moral a kid learns to do on their own before they leave the house is a plus for them.  The time you spend with them helping with that journey at least for me generated precious memories.  My son asked me onetime why we let him do so many dangerous things his friends did not get to do.  It was an unexpected question but in the process of teaching him to accept responsibility and be responsible in his actions we had to let him get from under the skirt.  We try to be sure our kids are always well prepared, we are not reckless, but once prepared we let them try and do.

Back on topic, we has a blast with the boat, have no doubt you will enjoy yours.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:41 AM, BigCreek said:

Heck yeah bro some of the best advice I have ever read!  My 12 year old his able to help out and drive and even tow some surfers. He’s very capable! 

Great post!

On 4/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, ajive said:

1.) no power turns for rider pickup, cut the throttle, spin, go back through the middle of your wake

This! And idle back. It actually takes less time than a power turn and doesn’t destroy the lake

secondly, @BigCreekhas it right. Get the whole family involved in all aspects of boat ownership. One correction, though, that makes a difference in the way they think about it. It’s not “Dad’s” boat, but the whole family’s, so they are accountable for it.

On 4/11/2021 at 8:27 AM, braindamage said:

It’s not “Dad’s” boat, but the whole family’s, so they are accountable for it.

Totally get this. The message can be delivered a million ways. It's not a negative thing here. In my house we treat borrowed stuff better than stuff we own. In my case, we came up borrowing my buddy's dad's Supra. (We were capable, but I still can't believe he let us.) There is no question about it. Those of us on board treated it extra special because nobody wanted to be the guy that screwed up his dad's boat, and subsequently our ability to continue with the borrowing. That thing was cleaner when we put it back in the garage than when we took it out. 

Plus, I believe there is only one captain per boat. He (or she) is the person that pulls out the Visa when it's time to catch the tab at the service desk, the pump, at the marina when it's time for dinner, at the pro-shop when it's time for a new board, jacket or rope, the insurance bill, and any number of other things!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I bought it, and we're waiting on the rear camera to get fixed before taking official delivery. We are going to take it out and get some hours on it locally (it's permanent home is 3 hours south of KC) so we can get the initial service done and dusted. Still jacking around with getting our lift reconfigured to work with a tow boat. I've been waiting for 3 weeks just to get a dadgum quote!

Anyway, thanks again for all the great advice above and if you see us out on TRL, give me a wave. (with your arm, not your boat). ;-)

• Like 3

Grats on the new boat!!! We fly in to KC to go to my parents lake house on TRL every summer (they live in KC & I grew up there).  If only we had a lake like that near us but I moved to the rainy PNW!  We just bought our 1st boat - 23LSV this year as well.  After growing up on boats I finally talked my husband into it.   I have joked that my parents epically failed at teaching me the ways because I never loaded/unloaded or docked the boat.  I've been practicing though...slow and steady as they say!   Have a great summer & enjoy!!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Man had that exact same ram, and taking delivery of my 23LSV today - I think we could be friends!  Congrats!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having never towed a boat before it was a super easy pull with that Ram and the air suspension. I wouldn't say I enjoyed pulling that much money around, but it was about as painless as it could be.

Edited by ridethatbike
English
18 hours ago, amartin said:

That dealer sure isn't shy about putting their brand on the boat.  Removing that would definitely be my first "mod".

I was thinking the same thing. Something that bold better come with some kind of advertising payback, like a few free oil changes during warranty period, maybe. Trade me a new surfboard for me displaying that billboard?

Killer boat tho!

Edited by BigCreek
  • Like 1