Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Raptor 410 impeller

Replaced mine for the season and found 1 vein missing off the old one. Where is the clean out point for this engine, got to find that chunk of rubber? Looks like maybe Starboard lower rear of the engine?

The restriction point downstream of the sea water pump will likely be the engine oil cooler.  It should be positioned after the sea pump, but before the transmission oil cooler and the heat exchanger on non-supercharged engines.  It likely has oetiker clamps on it, but they can be removed and replaced with the more common screw clamps.

On 4/9/2021 at 12:05 AM, csleaver said:

The restriction point downstream of the sea water pump will likely be the engine oil cooler.  It should be positioned after the sea pump, but before the transmission oil cooler and the heat exchanger on non-supercharged engines.  It likely has oetiker clamps on it, but they can be removed and replaced with the more common screw clamps.

The Oetiker clamps are present. Assume they have to be cut off? After that, the hose is only about 3 to 4"long, cant imagine it will come off the leads it is slipped over without a fight. No slop to work it off.

I have cut off oetiker clamps using a 90 clamp tool like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Oetiker-14100083-1099-Side-Pincers/dp/B0037QFNJM/ref=asc_df_B0037QFNJM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312003160272&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=930026219541330967&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030803&hvtargid=pla-570995632793&psc=1

It is not very easy, I only do it when I have to, and I normally replace them with screw clamps.  You may want to try removing the sea pump cover plate, and the inlet or a outlet hose hose from the heat exchanger, and then back flush the coolers from there with a garden hose first.  Take off the hoses to inspect the coolers only if you have to.

13 hours ago, csleaver said:

I have cut off oetiker clamps using a 90 clamp tool like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Oetiker-14100083-1099-Side-Pincers/dp/B0037QFNJM/ref=asc_df_B0037QFNJM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312003160272&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=930026219541330967&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030803&hvtargid=pla-570995632793&psc=1

It is not very easy, I only do it when I have to, and I normally replace them with screw clamps.  You may want to try removing the sea pump cover plate, and the inlet or a outlet hose hose from the heat exchanger, and then back flush the coolers from there with a garden hose first.  Take off the hoses to inspect the coolers only if you have to.

I have the Tool here, what were the engineers thinking ? Oh right they weren't! Think the back flush or try vacuum on the open pump face will be my first attempt. Guessing the 1 fin is only 3 or 4 inches down that small short hose to the ex changer inlet. Would have tried this first before installing new impeller but never expected the retrieval of pieces would be such an ordeal. I hope the the 19/20 models are easier as they eat them regularly! I have only had 1 other missing fin in the last 20 years and this year I am confident was from a dry start at the dealer!:mad:

I agree that it is a pain.  Just be thankful you don't have the supercharged Raptor, especially in the M235 or MXZ.  They are just ridiculous to work on.

The main heat exchanger is just downstream of the sea pump on the M5/M6 engines, so you just take off the ECM bracket and the 4 bolts on the exchanger to get the impeller pieces out, then hope the oring fits back in place when installing the cap.

This afternoon, I removed the new impeller to see what I could do. Tried vacuum and had good pull with no results, did get a bit of water. Could not figure a good hose to hook garden hose to to attempt back flush. Decided to remove the drain plug from the bottom of the heat exchanger and blow air back that way. Got good air flow back out of the impeller housing that way with no signs of fragment. I'm calling it good and hope it has passed through the system cause I ain't digging no more!

19 hours ago, justgary said:

I don't think a whole impeller vane can get through a heat exchanger.

It's about 2/3 of the vane but either way, I'm going with what I got now. Any other ideas or experience with this particular motor configuration and clearing debris would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...