Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery option for small amp setup

Freeskier44

Hello! I just want to start out by saying that I don’t have a Malibu, but I’ve read through forms on here for audio information and it’s been great help. Apologies again, I need a little assistance before the season starts. 

I’ve installed a 50Wx4 RMS amp with a fusion stereo. The boat has an old 2 stroke that only puts out enough amps to top off the battery. That’s on a dedicated starting battery. 

Installed a 5 year old 55ah AGM trolling battery dedicated for the stereo and amp. Noticed it was cutting out after a few hours.
Any recommendations on a battery that will last all day? A new 55ah? Bigger? Lithium seems too expensive. 
Thanks all!

Walmart deep cycle ($75) plus an ACR ($90 on Amazon) to safely use what charging amps you have  plus an AC charger big enough to top it off overnight and you should have plenty of power for under $200.

...until you get more powerful amps...

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Walmart deep cycle ($75) plus an ACR ($90 on Amazon) to safely use what charging amps you have  plus an AC charger big enough to top it off overnight and you should have plenty of power for under $200.

...until you get more powerful amps...

Appreciate the response! I was hoping to keep the other battery completely separate as I’ve explored the ACR and I don’t see there being enough charge. My stator is 9 amps at 5500 RPMs. 

I do have a dual bank onboard battery charger that will keep batteries charged. Been looking at some 100 ah AGMs, just wondering if that will give me enough stereo run time. 
Only way I’m adding more amps is by going with a newer motor that has a better charging system to facilitate it. 

Edited by Freeskier44

Is the 50 x 4 amp the only thing power speakers? None on the head unit? How many channels are at what impedance?  Whats the max fuse size the amp manufacture states, on whats the fuse value if there is a fuse plugged in the side of the amp?

Now you can calculate the potential max current draw of the system. From there, you can figure out how many Ah are needed to go for X amount of time. 

The amp is the only thing powering the speakers. Nothing is hooked up to the speaker leads on the head unit. 
its 4 channels at 50W RMS each for the amp. Speakers are 4 ohm. 
Amplifier came with a 40 amp fuse. 

If it’s 50W RMS X4 divided by 12 that’s roughly 16 amps. Since I’m not full volume the entire time, I could say maybe 10-12 amps? 
I know it’s a pretty low key system, just want to avoid power dropping. I feel like a 75-100 ah battery might be my ticket.