Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller and warranty 2019 Axis

Markob1970

I have a 2019 axis purchased new, has 130 hrs. Purchased, stored and serviced at dealer (5 yr warranty). They informed me if I do not change impeller ($330.00) this year and it fails causing engine problems my warranty will not be honored. Is this true? 

An impeller is $33 from amazon, change it yourself - $330 is insane

You would have to check the manual, but I think the recommended replacement is 100 hours - so I guess you could make a case that if it failed at over 130 hours AND you managed to run the engine long enough to damage it that you could deny warranty.

But even if it fails, you should be getting a temp alarm long before you hurt the engine.

Edited by oldjeep

Hmm, dont know about them not honoring the warranty.  But It literally takes 10 minutes or less to change the impeller yourself and you will save 330 bucks.  

My impeller has failed three times in 130 hours.  I get an alarm within seconds of it failing.  

Edited by dwc032

For those doing impellers themselves these work awesome!

Compress it with the zip tie, get it started then press the quick release to get the tie off so you can use it the next time:

https://amzn.to/2Q4tiRY

Heck, you could have the next one set up and ready to go also.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
16 hours ago, Markob1970 said:

I have a 2019 axis purchased new, has 130 hrs. Purchased, stored and serviced at dealer (5 yr warranty). They informed me if I do not change impeller ($330.00) this year and it fails causing engine problems my warranty will not be honored. Is this true? 

19 Axis should be a PCM motor. I recommend reaching out to them to see what they say about it.

You can also look at the PCM manual. I don't think it mentions anything like that at all.

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

For those doing impellers themselves these work awesome!

Compress it with the zip tie, get it started then press the quick release to get the tie off so you can use it the next time:

https://amzn.to/2Q4tiRY

Heck, you could have the next one set up and ready to go also.

Why?  All you do is cover the impeller with glycerin and give it a weak twist and push to get it in.  It requires so little force my wife could do it.

19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Why?  All you do is cover the impeller with glycerin and give it a weak twist and push to get it in.  It requires so little force my wife could do it.

I should have specified, I'm thinking about the Malibu motors where it's a little tight.

19 hours ago, Markob1970 said:

Your dealer is high AF and raping you.  I'd be super upset that they would threaten me with a statement like that and would be addressing it with Malibu.  For $33 and less than 30 minutes of your time it's done.  At $330 they're charging you for 3 hours of shop labor at $100/hr plus the part, which is complete insanity.  

ahopkins22LSV

Agreed the price is high and knowing how to do it yourself is very useful knowledge. You can save a day, weekend or trip in less than an hour and less than $50. 

On the warranty side, if I never change my oil on my truck then my engine fails, that isn’t covered. The manual for PCM states a 50 hour inspection/replacement for their impellers and those seem to wear at that rate so if you are way over that change frequency I can see how a warranty claim would be denied. There are pages upon pages of disclaimers for warranty’s. 

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Just hit it with your purse.  Or hers.

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Your dealer is high AF and raping you.  I'd be super upset that they would threaten me with a statement like that and would be addressing it with Malibu.  For $33 and less than 30 minutes of your time it's done.  At $330 they're charging you for 3 hours of shop labor at $100/hr plus the part, which is complete insanity.  

Tell the dealer you will do it yourself unless he sobers up  Let us know his response.