Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dip and Zip alternative to lead

formerathlete

While it's a creative idea, anything that holds water can be used in this manner.

Think 1-2gal water jugs, 5gal water jugs, cooler?

Water's 8 lbs a gallon, so the 50's are 6.25gal.

The nice thing about water ballast is you can easily dump.  Lead will take your boat to the bottom if you are overloaded.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, formerathlete said:

Has anyone tried these dip and zip ballast bags? https://www.tidalwake.com/product/water-weights-ballast-bags/

Seems like a great alternative to lead. I'd consider getting a couple and throwing them in observers storage and on bow seats, when needed.

@formerathlete Did you order any of these?

On 4/7/2021 at 2:53 PM, formerathlete said:

Has anyone tried these dip and zip ballast bags? https://www.tidalwake.com/product/water-weights-ballast-bags/

Seems like a great alternative to lead. I'd consider getting a couple and throwing them in observers storage and on bow seats, when needed.

i think any bag involving filling with an over the side pump is a pita

Water is much more bulky per pound.  I bought spent lead bullets from a recycler and placed them into small Home Depot Husky brand bags I bought for $9 each.  They hold 50 lb of lead and take up a very small amount of space.