Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Club - Considering selling my RLXi

Slayer

I've been invited to join a local ski club.  The rates are reasonable and I'm considering it.  If I join, I'll likely sell my beloved RLXi.  While I love the boat, love skiing it, and love driving it, maintaining 3 boats (we have a pontoon and a stand up jet ski) is becoming laborious.  We have rental properties on a lake 10 minutes away where we keep our 23LSV and our home lake is where the RLXi, Pontoon, and jetski live.  Our home lake has no ski course but our other location does.  That does present some challenges for us due to timing of when skiers are there and when I can get a pull.  That plus kid and work schedules make things difficult sometimes.  The ski club is close to my office and I could hit it in the AM before work, lunch, or after work making it very convenient.  Selling my RLXi pays for 11 years of membership dues.  

Now, all that said, it seems like in about 8 years when our youngest kids are driving, we'll be moving back to the location of our rental properties where there is a course that I can ski every morning just as I did before I moved almost 2 years ago.  We moved because all of our kids were in another school district.  That made for challenging logistics related to school transportation as well as transportation to and from sports related events and practices, etc.  Also, there are a couple other skiers on my home lake, but again no course.  Our local DNR would likely issue us a permit for a course, but I'm not so confident other lake property owners will sign off.  I'm a little confused as to what to do and interested to hear what the crew has to say.......

Here are my options as I see it now.....

1. Go through the permit process in hopes of getting the course on the home lake.  Keep the RLXi and ski there.
  2. If the DNR denies the permit, then it's more likely that I sell the RLXi and join the club.
  3. Don't go through the DNR, buy a portable course, put it in and ski it and ask for forgiveness later and play stupid with the DNR if they get a call.
  4. Keep the RLXi until we move and free ski as much as possible....ski the course when I'm able as a guest at the club or when schedule allows at the other lake.
  5. Sell the RLXi and just joint the club.  

You are right. 4 boats is too many. Sell the jet ski. 😁

seriously, though. Sell the Rxli. This crazy sellers market will eventually pass and you can but another one if the club doesn’t work out.

• Haha 1

I just dont think you can get another ski boat that easily down the road. Keeping the R give you flexibility. The only reason I say this is for two years our local lake has had a toxic algae bloom. My other options are somewhat limited. So, I'm thinking go as is for at least a year. You can do as you want. Sign up to the private lake too. After a year will give you the answer. What great options you have !

Steve B.

I say sell it.  From a guy that has pledged to NEVER sell the Echelon, in your case you have way more into your slalom vessel.  Time with my show ski team is amazing, and I find I use my boat way less when involved with them.  If I had the LSV in my back pocket to use with the kids/fam, and a course to ski with some like-minded guys, I'd sell it, no hesitation.

Another + on selling it would be the ridiculous used boat market, and it’s probably worth more this season than any other time 🤷🏼‍♂️

I just saw an online add yesterday for a 99 LXI listed for $30k so I say ask for the moon and sell it for the right price

16 hours ago, Woodski said:

I would get a year under my belt or vest before I would want to be without my own ski boat.  On the other hand, it is a sellers market.

Thanks for the advice.  You make a great point.  At the same time, if I did sell, selling now would be the best option in terms of return.  I would actually make money on the boat given what I paid for it.

12 hours ago, braindamage said:

You are right. 4 boats is too many. Sell the jet ski. 😁

seriously, though. Sell the Rxli. This crazy sellers market will eventually pass and you can but another one if the club doesn’t work out.

LOL!!  It's a stand up and I just rebuilt it so it's not going anywhere.  The kids would be PISSED if I sold it.  

11 hours ago, Steve B. said:

I just dont think you can get another ski boat that easily down the road. Keeping the R give you flexibility. The only reason I say this is for two years our local lake has had a toxic algae bloom. My other options are somewhat limited. So, I'm thinking go as is for at least a year. You can do as you want. Sign up to the private lake too. After a year will give you the answer. What great options you have !

Steve B.

I see used ski boats all the time......that's BC (before covid) of course.

12 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Another + on selling it would be the ridiculous used boat market, and it’s probably worth more this season than any other time 🤷🏼‍♂️

I just saw an online add yesterday for a 99 LXI listed for $30k so I say ask for the moon and sell it for the right price

One of the reasons I've considred selling is just that, @Stevo  I would make money on that boat in this market.  Even BC, I could sell the boat for more than I paid, but now.....damn, son!  It could fund more cryppurchasesses. 

3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'll be curious to see what my BIL gets for his 04 RLXI later this summer after his 200 shows up.  Doubt that there will be much trouble selling it.

Agreed.  Let me know what he gets.  I love my RLXi and as @UWSkierpointed out, it's a killer looking boat with an amazing wake.  If I did sell and ultimately decided to get another boat, I'd have a hard time not looking at a 200.  I really like them and they ski very well.  

If you sell it, might be worth doing a casual estimate on how many times you will be staring at pure glass and not have that trusty LXi to get a quick set in.  What is the value in the ability to get that quick morning, evening set or that after work set to blow off a day of frustration?  Or what the last few days brought in SE Michigan...

31 minutes ago, Woodski said:

If you sell it, might be worth doing a casual estimate on how many times you will be staring at pure glass and not have that trusty LXi to get a quick set in.  What is the value in the ability to get that quick morning, evening set or that after work set to blow off a day of frustration?  Or what the last few days brought in SE Michigan...

Great point and very difficult to put a value on.  

ahopkins22LSV

If it is the club I am thinking of, I would suggest waiting a bit before selling the LXi. It is a suuuuuuuuuuper short setup that takes time getting used to and I know people that have joined and then left because they just couldn't deal with the short setup. Great people, just short.

Why not just move the ski boat to where the Ski course is?  How often do you actually utilize the ski boat?  What benefits do you get from the club that you wouldn't have if you put your boat on the lake with the course?  What's the desire for skiing in the course vs free skiing?  How often would you really ski with the club vs just doing in your own boat?  Those are questions I think I would want to answer before making any decision.

7 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

If it is the club I am thinking of, I would suggest waiting a bit before selling the LXi. It is a suuuuuuuuuuper short setup that takes time getting used to and I know people that have joined and then left because they just couldn't deal with the short setup. Great people, just short.

Understood.  I'm not doing anything until I ski there, but it's awfully hard not to consider it given the circumstances.  

6 minutes ago, ajf4242 said:

Why not just move the ski boat to where the Ski course is?  How often do you actually utilize the ski boat?  What benefits do you get from the club that you wouldn't have if you put your boat on the lake with the course?  What's the desire for skiing in the course vs free skiing?  How often would you really ski with the club vs just doing in your own boat?  Those are questions I think I would want to answer before making any decision.

Some of the answers to your questions are in the first post.  I'll reiterate for you. 

1. We moved due to logistics of 4 kids in a different school district than the house where the course is.  Transportation to and from not only school, but all the various activities, sports, etc. was problematic.
  2. Prior to the move, I used the ski boat 4-5 days a week.  Now, maybe once a week.
  3. Benefits of the club are new boat every year, boat with zero off, no worries about getting gas and filling the boat, always have a driver, and always have a course to ski in.
  4. Desire for skiing the course is competition and challenge.  I like the challenge and always want to be better.  Not that I'm running tournaments at the moment, but would like to in the near future so having a place to train consistently would be amazing.  Free skiing, while good for technique development, is simply not the same.  
  5. If I joined the club, I'd likely be in the course 3-5 days each week for our relatively short Michigan season.

So, I've answered your questions for myself many times over.  If moving back to the other lake were an option, I wouldn't consider a club.  If getting a course on our currently was as problematic as I suspect it will be, I wouldn't be considering this.  You see.....the lake I live on is rather unique.  It's small, and a large part of the lake is a relatively new development where the lakefront property owners are not allowed to have gas powered boats due to their HOA and issues imposed upon them but the municipality when the property was developed.  Obviously, I'm not in that neighborhood.  Most of those homes are 6-10,000 SF + and worth several million each and the owners are rather snooby.  For us to get a permit for a course would require at least 5 of them to sing off.  4 of whom I know would have no issue, one I know would do nothing but fight it.  Then, in our association, the president is an absolute jerk and I don't think he'll sign off on the permit either.  

If money, permits wasn't an issue what would you do?

I would start with and try to get the needed permits to set a course on the lake (I also like the option of asking for forgiveness). If that failed I would then think about joining the club for a year like stated earlier and see how much use you get out of it.

Also is selling the pontoon a feasible option?

1 hour ago, 06malibu said:

If money, permits wasn't an issue what would you do?

I would start with and try to get the needed permits to set a course on the lake (I also like the option of asking for forgiveness). If that failed I would then think about joining the club for a year like stated earlier and see how much use you get out of it.

Also is selling the pontoon a feasible option?

Thanks for the info.  We are not selling the pontoon.  

Sorry for the lack of comprehension in your first post.  I got confused with home lake and other rental lake properties apparently.  My bad.  I think you answered your own question in #4.  With the market so hot right now and the lack of use I would unload it.  Also, if you join the club you can have that competitive aspect you desire.  If I was in your shoes I would sell.  

33 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Thanks for the info.  We are not selling the pontoon.  

What you really need is a "docking station" for the RLXI that converts it to a pontoon - like those jetski things they sold for a while to turn them into a boat ;)

I wish *I* had your first world problem.  The kids really want a surf boat, but for me, maintaining two boats is enough already.  I'me tempted to buy into a boatshare for a couple weeks each year when they coome to the lake.  Wifey and I slalom and that is it.

9 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I wish *I* had your first world problem.  The kids really want a surf boat, but for me, maintaining two boats is enough already.  I'me tempted to buy into a boatshare for a couple weeks each year when they coome to the lake.  Wifey and I slalom and that is it.

I've owned the RLXi for quite a few years and the Mrs. owned the pontoon in advance of us becoming us.  Since becoming us, owning a wake boat became much more attainable. I've worked my can off to have such a first world problem.  Never thought I'd be in a position to have such an issue, but grateful that I am.  

So, speaking of the better half, she poses a challenge to this situation that I didn't address in the opening post.  She's a show skier specializing in swivel skiing.  While she's no longer active in show skiing, she enjoys swivel and slalom still.  She's not interested in running the course, but she is interested in maintaining her swivel skills.  As such, she's apprehensive about getting rid of the RLXi.

Just now, Slayer said:

So, speaking of the better half, she poses a challenge to this situation that I didn't address in the opening post.  She's a show skier specializing in swivel skiing.  While she's no longer active in show skiing, she enjoys swivel and slalom still.  She's not interested in running the course, but she is interested in maintaining her swivel skills.  As such, she's apprehensive about getting rid of the RLXi.

That pretty much answers the question - better keep it

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Slayer said:

As such, she's apprehensive about getting rid of the RLXi.

Well then man, don't sell it!  I  would be ticked if my better half said to sell the boat.  You have the opposite problem it seems.