Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 or 24’ canopy

rakr

I have a 2004 LSV which is 23’ overall with the platform. 

We have a cottage that we head to every couple of weekends and trailer the boat as we use it during the week once or twice. 

I have a lift “reserved” that has a 22’ canopy. For another $1500 I can get a 24’ canopy. Right now the boat would only be on the lift 20 days or so a year and the rest in my garage. 

I may leave it up there for extended periods in the future, and I could get a cover for the platform if I go with the 22’. 

the kicker - if I go with the 24’ canopy, I may or may not get it on this summer based on parts availability and the marinas time. The 22’ canopy is already on the lift and can be put in the water next week. 

am I being short sighted considering the 22’? 

thanks all! 

3 minutes ago, rakr said:

I have a 2004 LSV which is 23’ overall with the platform. 

We have a cottage that we head to every couple of weekends and trailer the boat as we use it during the week once or twice. 

I have a lift “reserved” that has a 22’ canopy. For another $1500 I can get a 24’ canopy. Right now the boat would only be on the lift 20 days or so a year and the rest in my garage. 

I may leave it up there for extended periods in the future, and I could get a cover for the platform if I go with the 22’. 

the kicker - if I go with the 24’ canopy, I may or may not get it on this summer based on parts availability and the marinas time. The 22’ canopy is already on the lift and can be put in the water next week. 

am I being short sighted considering the 22’? 

thanks all! 

I've been in this position before.  I'm there now.  I have a 24' canopy on the hoist I purchased 2 years ago when I bought our '17 22VLX.  I've since replaced that with a '21 23LSV.  My platfrom will be exposed with the 24' canopy.  Next season, I may upgrade to a 28' canopy and frame.  We'll see how this season goes.  IIWM, I'd spend the extra $1500.

You could buy a nice platform cover for a lot less than $1500.00.  My boat came with one so they are out there.  That said, what are your plans for the long term?  Are you getting that itch to upgrade now or in the near future and what does that itch include?  Canopy's are no different than closets, garages, slips or lifts.  You should always go bigger than anticipated.  

If I were in your shoes right now, I'd take the 22' canopy as it's better than leaving the boat unprotected all season since you can't get the 24'.  Take the money saved and invest it down the road to a 28'+ canopy and that way you're covered if your itch includes a 24 or 25' boat.

Agreed with above.  24' canopy isn't the size you'll want either.  I'd shoot for at least a 26' if not 28.  That's not a lot of excess on either side.  

On 4/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, Slayer said:

I've been in this position before.  I'm there now.  I have a 24' canopy on the hoist I purchased 2 years ago when I bought our '17 22VLX.  I've since replaced that with a '21 23LSV.  My platfrom will be exposed with the 24' canopy.  Next season, I may upgrade to a 28' canopy and frame.  We'll see how this season goes.  IIWM, I'd spend the extra $1500.

Keep me in mind next year, I might be interested in that 24 footer if you do make the change.

I’m going to stick with 20-21 boat for the long haul. Just picked up an 04 sunscape LSV. I could see us going to a DD before going up to a larger wake/surf boat. If the kids (4 and 6 now) want to surf/ wakeboard in the future, I could see us adding a boat vs replacing. I’m a skier at heart. 

still on the fence on the 22 vs 24, but I need to pull the trigger in the next few days... The wife is leaning toward the 22, primarily for cost. You’d think buying a boat that was less than 1/2 the cost of the last one would give me some wiggle room, but you would be mistaken.

Landscaping and a new driveway went in almost as soon as I sold the last one!!!

@Michigan boarder, waiting on pizza at the Clover Bar in GH. It’s supposed to be as good as Scribs, we’ll see! 

• Like 1

The jury is in... going with the 22’ for now, $1500 might save me enough good will to get a foil board. We’ll see. 

@Michigan boarder while the pizza was good, Scribs still beats just about any other pizza I have had. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, rakr said:

The jury is in... going with the 22’ for now, $1500 might save me enough good will to get a foil board. We’ll see. 

@Michigan boarder while the pizza was good, Scribs still beats just about any other pizza I have had. 

Have you had Loretta's Chicago style yet in G.R.?  It's on our list.

1 minute ago, Michigan boarder said:

Have you had Loretta's Chicago style yet in G.R.?  It's on our list.

Nope, I’ll give it a whirl and let you know! 

• Like 1