Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Production Issues

zhuskers1

19 hours ago, Livinlogs said:

Anybody else getting bumped? My build date is June 1 but that seems so far out based on what I’m hearing about May dates being bumped. My dealer said all his dates are holding so far . He’s delivering 2-3 boats per week by what I see on IG . We just got that June 1 date at the beginning of this month . Ordered in October 

Had a May 6 build date and received update from dealer yesterday we were pushed back to 5/17. Reasoning provided was resin and parts shortages. This is for a 21 A24 ordered first week of October. 

My dealer told me all of his June production dates were “pulled”.   I assume “pulled” means no longer scheduled for production.  If you have a June date, you May want to check with your dealer.   Our date is for a 23 LSV is 5/24.......if it gets bumped again.....our order could be pulled. 

The “world” is going to have to re-think this global supply chain. 

33 minutes ago, zhuskers1 said:

My dealer told me all of his June production dates were “pulled”.   I assume “pulled” means no longer scheduled for production.  If you have a June date, you May want to check with your dealer.   Our date is for a 23 LSV is 5/24.......if it gets bumped again.....our order could be pulled. 

That means at least 400 boats scheduled for June may not even make this model year or summer . Wow 

55 minutes ago, zhuskers1 said:

Crazy times in the JIT supply chain, and the daisy chain impacts that ripple up and downstream are causing havoc that won't end quickly.

An idea for those with huge delays - the used market is tight but keep an eye on it in case someone is getting divorced or doesn't know what they have when selling. You'll be able to sell a good clean used boat quickly when your new one arrives. Your dealer may even buy you out then, since some are doing that just to keep a boat on the lot for when new to boating families show up in the summer expecting to be able to buy a boat that day. Historically that summer walk in traffic is a huge part of their annual sales.

Even if you take a small hit, your new boat's value has already gone up $5-10K since it was ordered. The big 2022 price increases across the industry will keep it there too.

I love non-depreciating assets.

Edited by NWBU
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, Livinlogs said:

My dealer just confirmed June dates are off the schedule. Week by week . 

Hey all,

So what happens then if you ordered a 2021 boat, put down a deposit and have been waiting and your boat order gets "pulled"? Will Malibu build you a 2022 boat and honor your 2021 pricing, or, with Malibu refund your deposit and you can start the process again - based on their 2022 pricing structure? 

Chris

10 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

Hey all,

So what happens then if you ordered a 2021 boat, put down a deposit and have been waiting and your boat order gets "pulled"? Will Malibu build you a 2022 boat and honor your 2021 pricing, or, with Malibu refund your deposit and you can start the process again - based on their 2022 pricing structure? 

Chris

What does your contract say?  I guess if it allows  force majeure the dealer might be off the hook.

36 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

Hey all,

Chris

My dealer said at this time the pricing will hold. But who knows these days 

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What does your contract say?  I guess if it allows  force majeure the dealer might be off the hook.

Hi Eagleboy99,

Actually I do not have a contact and I do not have a boat on order. I was inches away from ordering a boat last year and decided against ordering because I was already hearing rumors of boat-build delays. So, I shopped around, found the boat I wanted and bought it.

I posted my question about delayed boat orders that may spill into 2022 builds because I think it would be helpful for those who are waiting to ask their dealers and get the scoop.

Thanks,

Chris

I have a 6/3 build provided a few weeks ago and haven’t heard of any new delays. My dealer said they’d reach out if anything changed so still hoping no news is good news.

For those getting delayed dates now, when was the last update you received prior? 

Edited by gswatkins
1 hour ago, gswatkins said:

I have a 6/3 build provided a few weeks ago and haven’t heard of any new delays. My dealer said they’d reach out if anything changed so still hoping no news is good news.

For those getting delayed dates now, when was the last update you received prior? 

I was given a June 1 date at the beginning of April for my order from last October. Today the dealer was told about the June orders being pulled. 

Spoke with my dealer yesterday. 

23 LSV: Ordered in October. Original spray date April. Updated spray date June. 

Malibu is going to a “week of” notification. So, my updated June spray date no longer exists and I’ll only know my future spray date the week prior.

I also asked specifically about model year change over and pricing. I was told that Malibu hasn’t committed to keeping pricing the same, but as a dealer they’re going to push back on Malibu that they should for pre-ordered boats.

My opinion: Regardless of supply chain, COVID, etc. If Malibu can’t deliver their ‘21 orders, but honors pricing and eventually gets everyone a ‘22, they could have customers for life. If they go the other route, well... 

Of note: I’ve NEVER received a call or any type of proactive communication from my dealer. It’s always me reaching out to them (once a month). 

Edited by Trizzil

When i read this i feel that i was super lucky with my boat order. I have ordered my 22 LSV by end of november. It was built mid march and got shipped to europe. It arrived in europe this week and is now on its way to the dealer. 
It seems people who ordered very popular boats like the 23 lsv or some axis modells where not that lucky. 

2 hours ago, Trizzil said:

Spoke with my dealer yesterday. 

23 LSV: Ordered in October. Original spray date April. Updated spray date June. 

Malibu is going to a “week of” notification. So, my updated June spray date no longer exists and I’ll only know my future spray date the week prior.

I also asked specifically about model year change over and pricing. I was told that Malibu hasn’t committed to keeping pricing the same, but as a dealer they’re going to push back on Malibu that they should for pre-ordered boats.

My opinion: Regardless of supply chain, COVID, etc. If Malibu can’t deliver their ‘21 orders, but honors pricing and eventually gets everyone a ‘22, they could have customers for life. If they go the other route, well... 

Of note: I’ve NEVER received a call or any type of proactive communication from my dealer. It’s always me reaching out to them (once a month). 

Hi Trizzil,

According to the dealership I work with, Malibu is providing dealerships with specific-to-the-dealer updates, as well as, general updates on a very regular basis. Malibu clearly expects the dealerships to reach out to their customers and update them. My local Bu' dealer has be calling their customers who are waiting on boats a a regular basis even it is to share bad news. Makes sense and that is how this is supposed to work. Malibu is nit Dell -you cannot order directly from Malibu you work with your dealer who in turn works with Malibu. 

Semi-related. Do you all think this years boat order woes will lead to fewer Malibu's being custom ordered next year as boat buyers may consider in stock inventory? I am no expert (at all) but my guess is yes, there will be a drop off in custom ordered boats next year so hoping Malibu is developing a plan for out of territory purchases. 

Chris

Chris

Chris

25 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

Semi-related. Do you all think this years boat order woes will lead to fewer Malibu's being custom ordered next year as boat buyers may consider in stock inventory?

What in-stock inventory?  There ain't none to be had.  In any brand.  My guess is that these things will be in short supply until the next crash when the used market will get flooded.

Speaking of inventory, I heard from an associate in the bike industry that lead times for bikes and parts are approaching 600 days!  As opposed to the normal 60-90.  Crazy times.  And that chip shortage is not going to help.

55 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What in-stock inventory?  There ain't none to be had.  In any brand.  My guess is that these things will be in short supply until the next crash when the used market will get flooded.

Speaking of inventory, I heard from an associate in the bike industry that lead times for bikes and parts are approaching 600 days!  As opposed to the normal 60-90.  Crazy times.  And that chip shortage is not going to help.

Hi Eagle,

No argument that in stock boat supply is uber limited. However, there are boats out there in dealers showrooms. Yes, Tommy's and other large dealerships may have more (most) inventory but boats can be bought. Search inboardsonly or even boat trader. 

And I can related to the breadth of the supply chain nightmare. Yes, buying a boat is tough, however, try buying a nicer UTV. It took me several months to find a 2021 Can Am X3 RR and when I found it I had to jump on it the same day. The word is all Polaris and Can Am supersport UTV's are gone for the year and dealers are now taking deposits on 2022 model. Unreal.

Chris

1 hour ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi Eagle,

No argument that in stock boat supply is uber limited. However, there are boats out there in dealers showrooms. Yes, Tommy's and other large dealerships may have more (most) inventory but boats can be bought. Search inboardsonly or even boat trader. 

And I can related to the breadth of the supply chain nightmare. Yes, buying a boat is tough, however, try buying a nicer UTV. It took me several months to find a 2021 Can Am X3 RR and when I found it I had to jump on it the same day. The word is all Polaris and Can Am supersport UTV's are gone for the year and dealers are now taking deposits on 2022 model. Unreal.

Chris

It was dumb luck that I got the RZR that we wanted last month. The way sales are going now, you don't have to possess any people skills or product knowledge. Just show up to work and wait for the fish to jump in the boat. They were literally selling them off of the delivery truck. And good luck finding a 20' trailer to haul your toys.

Has anybody tried hiring a contractor lately?  Have fun with that... 

Our economy is a delicately balanced house of cards. A year ago humans decided to stick their finger in it and mix it up. This is what we get... 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Interesting.  Price-related?  Ugly? Up here, pretty much everything is sold out. (I was a tad excessive in sayin"no inventory"; there clearly is some.)

Big dealer, buys lots of boats.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Big dealer, buys lots of boats.

The largest former Malibu dealer in the world (Wizard Lake marine) now sells Nautique and other brands and they are completely sold out of Nautiques.  I would expec them to be one of the the largest Correct Craft dealers, too.