Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Production Issues

zhuskers1

3 hours ago, Steve B. said:

But what do you do next year if there are still issues? Do you sell yours and wait, or do you hold onto the one you have until the new one is in hand?

Steve B.

Kind of a lose-lose situation you can sell used for prime but new is delayed and will be increasing exponentially. 

I think we're a solid year plus out from supply chains being remotely remediated.. many large manufacturers are claiming two plus years.. I'm hopeful it's not that long but who knows.. 

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

I think we're a solid year plus out from supply chains being remotely remediated

You are an optimist.  I think it will be more like Japan's Lost Decade.

4 hours ago, Steve B. said:

But what do you do next year if there are still issues? Do you sell yours and wait, or do you hold onto the one you have until the new one is in hand?

Steve B.

I sell in September.

10 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Well true.. but I suspect inflation will thwart some demand late next year along with tax hikes ..& high consumer prices which I would imagine would help reduce some of the demand issues.. 

Surely need to invest in allied and intel and other microchip companies and suppliers.. austin tx is and will become crazy town boom city! 

I'll agree I'm slightly over optimistic.. supply chain situations are still getting worse currently.. resin issue is hitting more industries than I thought.. little did I know just how many things resin is used for until recently.. 

Edited by The Hulk
4 hours ago, COOP said:

The other issue I think is that other than the letter from Jack, the dealers dont know whats going on. Sooner or later the boats are gonna hit the fan. Given all the shortages I keep hearing about, I cant see how things will keep going. 

So they potentially will be delivering 2021 boats in June/July of 2021?  Hopefully they consider making them 2022 models at prices signed for.  

New orders at 2022 hyper inflation prices....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, zhuskers1 said:

So they potentially will be delivering 2021 boats in June/July of 2021?  Hopefully they consider making them 2022 models at prices signed for.  

New orders at 2022 hyper inflation prices....

Hey guys,

Not trying to throw gas on the fire, but, I talked to a very seasoned Malibu dealership GM today and asked \ stated "so if you receive the boat you ordered in November of 2020 after July 1, 2021 your boat should be tagged as a 2022". The response I got was "yes, but you will have to pay a premium for your (now) 2022". I asked him to please repeat that and he did. 

So, for anyone waiting on a boat and thinking they may receive after July, you may want to call your dealer and ask specifically about model year applied to your boat, and, what if any cost increase for a 2022 stamp. 

Chris

2 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

The response I got was "yes, but you will have to pay a premium for your (now) 2022". I asked him to please repeat that and he did. 

A tad unclear on basic contract law?  The HIN will tell all...

ahopkins22LSV
44 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

Hey guys,

Not trying to throw gas on the fire, but, I talked to a very seasoned Malibu dealership GM today and asked \ stated "so if you receive the boat you ordered in November of 2020 after July 1, 2021 your boat should be tagged as a 2022". The response I got was "yes, but you will have to pay a premium for your (now) 2022". I asked him to please repeat that and he did. 

So, for anyone waiting on a boat and thinking they may receive after July, you may want to call your dealer and ask specifically about model year applied to your boat, and, what if any cost increase for a 2022 stamp. 

Chris

That completely depends on the dealer and situation. It will only be a 2022 if the factory has completed the model year change over. And there are many, many examples of a boat getting pushed into the the next model year and the dealer/Malibu honoring the original purchase agreement. Will that happen on every single boat this year? I can’t say for sure because of the potential supplier chain issue and increasing costs. But it isn’t like it is 100% a doomsday situation for someone who gets their boat bumped to 2022. 

16 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That completely depends on the dealer and situation. It will only be a 2022 if the factory has completed the model year change over. And there are many, many examples of a boat getting pushed into the the next model year and the dealer/Malibu honoring the original purchase agreement. Will that happen on every single boat this year? I can’t say for sure because of the potential supplier chain issue and increasing costs. But it isn’t like it is 100% a doomsday situation for someone who gets their boat bumped to 2022. 

Hi ahopkinsVTX,

Was not my intention to scream fire in a crowded theater and sorry if that is how my post showed. My intention, and I should have lead with this, was to suggest those with delayed orders ask their dealers what if any cost would be involved if their boat was going to be a 2022. 

Chris

Does the whole model Year thing even matter as much anymore? 

The warranty time is based on delivery time and the design changes are becoming very subtle these days.

If there are No new feature changes upgrades/etc IMO it doesn't matter so much anymore until a overhaul/change Year.

When time to sell it's mainly options,  hours, history,& condition

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi ahopkinsVTX,

Was not my intention to scream fire in a crowded theater and sorry if that is how my post showed. My intention, and I should have lead with this, was to suggest those with delayed orders ask their dealers what if any cost would be involved if their boat was going to be a 2022. 

Chris

One again, another example of why consistent timely communication from Malibu Corporate is so important in managing a situation like this.

ahopkins22LSV

One again, another example of why consistent timely communication from Malibu Corporate is so important in managing a situation like this.

Trust me, if a boat gets bumped to the next model year, it is 100% communicated with your dealer. They will then contact you to redo the build as it takes a new submission because options, gel coat patterns and colors can/will change. 

11 hours ago, The Hulk said:

The warranty time is based on delivery time and the design changes are becoming very subtle these days.

If there are No new feature changes upgrades/etc IMO it doesn't matter so much anymore until a overhaul/change Year.

Totally agree, Hulk man...  the only reason it matters is when there are either

1) a full model redesign (e.g. ‘21 23 LSV) or

2) a major change across the board (e.g. ‘20 software update).

And that’s from a product perspective. From a financial perspective (i.e. resale) even the subtle product differences don’t matter in this market. Literally everything sells and gets top dollar. 

23 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

NO, you are the optimist!

Japan had no problem delivering during the lost decade, and deliver they did.

NSX, Supra, MR2, Integra Type-R, 3000GT, RX7, 300ZX... it was the golden age and there were no delivery problems.

15 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I think it matters some.  3 years from now, a 20 and 21 boat both sold today with the same number of hours and equal condition will have different perceptions of value.  The newer boat will sell for more because it is a model year newer.  And KBB and NADA will value them differently also.  

• Like 3
11 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Trust me, if a boat gets bumped to the next model year, it is 100% communicated with your dealer. They will then contact you to redo the build as it takes a new submission because options, gel coat patterns and colors can/will change. 

I sure hope I would hear from them before that happens..........    That would stink......   Order a $150K boat in November 2020.   Get a call in March that production is delayed to May12th.  Then get a call that the 2021 Boat I ordered can not be delivered and it is time to start over.....  

I have been a very satisfied Malibu Customer for a very long time.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will deliver on the May date that they provided less than 30 days ago.

Edited by zhuskers1

I sure hope I would hear from them before that happens..........    That would stink......   Order a $150K boat in November 2020.   Get a call in March that production is delayed to May12th.  Then get a call that the 2021 Boat I ordered can not be delivered and it is time to start over.....  

I have been a very satisfied Malibu Customer for a very long time.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will deliver on the May date that they provided less than 30 days ago.

The bigger frustration for me is seeing orders placed after mine being sprayed and delivered before mine.  Ordered in October...original spray date mid-April...new spray date mid-June (if I’m lucky). 

For a toy as expensive as this one, even some manufacturer communication (not dealer) should be expected. The fact that we all get more from this forum vs. directly from Malibu has been surprising and disappointing. 

That said, they’re clearly in uncharted territory as a manufacturer and I can only hope client experience leaders are viewing this and the several other threads like it for feedback on how to improve. 

P.S..First time Malibu buyer so no long term fan loyalty...yet. 

6 minutes ago, Trizzil said:

For a toy as expensive as this one, even some manufacturer communication (not dealer) should be expected. The fact that we all get more from this forum vs. directly from Malibu has been surprising and disappointing. 

I feel for everyone with sliding dates since there seem to be a lot of factors out of their control. I don't think it's reasonable though to be expecting manufacturer direct communication on anything that's dealer sold. The dealer to customer coordination is a big reason why they have dealers in the first place.

Close friends were supposed to get their new Jayco 5th wheel in early December. It's being built this very week, and the communication is identical to your situation. They've been able to get a few updates from the dealer since ordered in September, usually a month or so after each time they hassle them, and nothing from Jayco.  

27 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

The 27lsv is just hogging too much darn resin from the rest of your builds..ya'll just need to wait.. 

You crack me up with your optimistic pessimism!

8 hours ago, NWBU said:

I feel for everyone with sliding dates since there seem to be a lot of factors out of their control. I don't think it's reasonable though to be expecting manufacturer direct communication on anything that's dealer sold. The dealer to customer coordination is a big reason why they have dealers in the first place.

Personalized communication would be too much, but a letter from the CEO addressed to all PENDING order customers with an update would go a looooong way. 

The CEO should empathize, provide a plan, and reassure the customer that they will deliver (regardless of whatever that timeline looks like). Most importantly, take extreme ownership even if it’s not their fault.  

There’s simply too much inconsistency across Malibu dealers that some customers get updates while others are just expected to wait in silence. 

The dealer letter that was shared in this thread is a great example. One dealer provided it to their customers while others only communicate if you reach out to them. 

I understand it’s frustrating for everyone involved, but the best thing you can do in situations like these as a manufacturer and dealer is to over communicate. Even if it’s no news. 

I might be out outlier, but if you’re going to charge $100k+ for your product, your quality, service, etc. should match. 

Dear Malibu: happy to have a productive conversation to discuss solutions.

- Patiently Waiting Customer 

Edited by Trizzil
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Trizzil said:

The CEO should empathize, provide a plan, and reassure the customer that they will deliver (regardless of whatever that timeline looks like).

I think the problem is they dont know if they will be able to deliver. And Malibu isnt the only brand that has this problem.