Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No Start - Fuel Pump Power Issue (LSA)

Hey all, 

Just joined after searching through the other posts. I've gone through the no start guide as well, but this issue has me stumped (other than thinking something is wrong with the ECM). 

We have a 2012 MXZ 22' with the LSA. Took it out of the garage last weekend to start getting it ready for the season, but it wouldn't turn over (only crank indefinitely). Turns out the fuel pump isn't priming at key on. We've rechecked the kill switch lanyard, oil pressure, all fuses / relays / connections on the engine fuse box, etc. All relay / fuse locations are reading correct voltages except for the fuel pump fuse terminals, which only read ~.5v at key on. The box itself is getting full power as well. 

Applying direct power to the fuel pump fuse location will resolve the issue and the engine will turn over immediately, however it just seems like the ECM isn't sending power to the fuse locations themselves. We even went as far as tracing the wires back to the ECM plug, and confirming continuity between the plug and fuse locations, so it doesn't appear to be a crimped wire / corrosion issue. 

Has anyone else encountered this before, or is there anything else that could be limiting power to the fuel pump fuse? Never had an issue with the boat before, but in the span of ~5 months *something* happened without much trace as to what. 

15 minutes ago, Fig510 said:

Hey all, 

Just joined after searching through the other posts. I've gone through the no start guide as well, but this issue has me stumped (other than thinking something is wrong with the ECM). 

We have a 2012 MXZ 22' with the LSA. Took it out of the garage last weekend to start getting it ready for the season, but it wouldn't turn over (only crank indefinitely). Turns out the fuel pump isn't priming at key on. We've rechecked the kill switch lanyard, oil pressure, all fuses / relays / connections on the engine fuse box, etc. All relay / fuse locations are reading correct voltages except for the fuel pump fuse terminals, which only read ~.5v at key on. The box itself is getting full power as well. 

Applying direct power to the fuel pump fuse location will resolve the issue and the engine will turn over immediately, however it just seems like the ECM isn't sending power to the fuse locations themselves. We even went as far as tracing the wires back to the ECM plug, and confirming continuity between the plug and fuse locations, so it doesn't appear to be a crimped wire / corrosion issue. 

Has anyone else encountered this before, or is there anything else that could be limiting power to the fuel pump fuse? Never had an issue with the boat before, but in the span of ~5 months *something* happened without much trace as to what. 

Welcome to the Crew.

Try bypassing (shorting together) the kill switch to see if the switch itself is cruddy.

3 minutes ago, justgary said:

Welcome to the Crew.

Try bypassing (shorting together) the kill switch to see if the switch itself is cruddy.

Thank you! Haven't tried shorting that switch yet, but it did seem like it was working as intended; i.e. pulling the lanyard killed everything. Will give that a shot. 

Just now, Fig510 said:

Thank you! Haven't tried shorting that switch yet, but it did seem like it was working as intended; i.e. pulling the lanyard killed everything. Will give that a shot. 

You should still be able to crank the engine with the lanyard pulled, it just won't fire.  A good tell-tale sign of the kill switch being pulled, at least on the older boats, is that the gauges don't come up (they stay dead -- the needles don't move at all on keyup).

• 2 months later...