Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Tower reinstall

I took apart the G3 tower on my 2012 MXZ to have it sand blasted and powder coated. It was much cheaper than expected, parts came off pretty easy and it’s all looking great after the powder coating. I was super excited until I tried to reinstall everything. I’m having a ton of trouble getting everything to line up. 

I am reinstalling in the reverse order of how I took it apart. I got the tower base pieces reinstalled then put the aluminum powder coated side piece on either side of the stainless steel arch. I hooked up the hinges from the arch to the bases and when I raise the tower to install the bolts that keep it locked up it doesn’t properly align and I can’t screw them in. It even started to strip the aluminum a bit and I had to run a chaser tap through the holes. 

is there a trick to get things to line up? Is there something I should be doing different. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

12 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

There may be nothing wrong.  The knobs are really easy to start at the wrong angle.

Hmm. I don’t think it could be normal. No matter how much I pushed and pulled I couldn’t get the bolts in. Ive been stuck at this point for two days. I tried the hex head bolts and the knobs. It looks like there is an alignment issue of some sort. 

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Hmm. I don’t think it could be normal. No matter how much I pushed and pulled I couldn’t get the bolts in. Ive been stuck at this point for two days. I tried the hex head bolts and the knobs. It looks like there is an alignment issue of some sort. 

Find a dowel that fits inside the threads - try sliding that in to see if you can tell which way the alignment is off - if it is.

Do you have the tower base pieces tightened all of the way down on to the gunnels. If so, loosen up everything so the bases will move a bit and the assemble everything loosely. The powder coating combined with the bases being out of alignment to the hoop may be the problem.

When I was at the Malibu factory in Loudon, I saw all the G3 towers assembled and on a rack waiting to move to the installation area. On the same trip I went to PTM and saw the G4 towers being assembled. The G4 started from a jig on the floor and was built up from there. I would assume/suggest the way to build the tower would be to loose-fit all the parts off the boat, once it was assembled do a final torque, and then lift it in to place. I realize that this is not easy unless you have an overhead lift and can get scary trying to do it with 3/4/5 friends lifting from the ground and holding it in place while one person bolt it down.

I don't know if that helps or hurts, but that's how I've seen Malibu do it...

7 minutes ago, mikeo said:

When I was at the Malibu factory in Loudon, I saw all the G3 towers assembled and on a rack waiting to move to the installation area. On the same trip I went to PTM and saw the G4 towers being assembled. The G4 started from a jig on the floor and was built up from there. I would assume/suggest the way to build the tower would be to loose-fit all the parts off the boat, once it was assembled do a final torque, and then lift it in to place. I realize that this is not easy unless you have an overhead lift and can get scary trying to do it with 3/4/5 friends lifting from the ground and holding it in place while one person bolt it down.

I don't know if that helps or hurts, but that's how I've seen Malibu do it...

The idea crossed my mind and It nice to know know that’s how it’s done at the factory. Im hoping it doesn’t come to that. I don’t have an overhead lift to do that. 

With 2 people, if everything is loose once you get one side loosely assembled you should be able to pivot the other side of the tower leg into the the other base. When I placed one of the Heim joints there was enough flex in the hoop for me to get everything lined up and assembled even with the bases secured. 

Dry fitting in the garage was a good idea. I put everything together today and the bases just didn’t align properly with the tower. I swapped the left and right side and realized and now they look great. Must have had them reversed.🤦‍♂️

I saw after I took it all apart the bases were different but when I took them apart I noticed one had a piece that was stamped SP and another SS.  I assumed that was port and starboard. And that went with what I thought was the order I removed them in.  If it wasn’t for this snafu the project would have been a slam dunk. 

It’s not back on the boat yet, but I’m fairly certain that was the problem. Going to try again on Saturday when I have the time and help to lift it back up on the boat. 

Thanks for the help.