Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel sender calibration

So one of the benefits of draining my tank completely to drop the rudder and filling from zero is that I had a chance to index what the fuel pump said vs what the gauge read at key-up.  I always wondered what was actually in the tank.  It looks like a previous owner replaced the original sender with an updated KUS reed style sender so don't take this as gospel if you have the same boat.

My tank says it's a 35 gallon tank, so I started filling and stopping at 5 gallon increments to determine the fuel level.  I took pics and put them in a google photos album for future reference.  This is on the trailer, 1 degree incline per the truck gauge (with about 2 inches of tongue weight droop so about level ground probably).

Gauge - Gallons

0/8 - 10

1/4 - 15

just shy of 1/2 - 20

3/4 - 25

7/8 - 30

8/8 - 33

Not exactly linear, but it's good to know that I can usually head out with between 1/4 and 1/2 tank and not have anything to worry about for a typical ski morning with the guys.  At 34 mph while pulling a skier, my burn rate is about 12 gallons per hour.  A typical 3 man rotation, 2 sets per man, and the ride to the prime ski spot and back means I likely burn about 8-10 gallons per outing.

PXL_20210402_200145852_2.jpg

The reeds are not placed evenly in the sender, hence the curved or non linear response. I forget how many reeds are in my Wema 6" sender, either 8 or 10.