Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at powering a pair of Rev 10’s....

DylanR

Yes I could go with the HTX-4 from Wetsounds... but if I went with a different option. Any recommendations... opinions on these? Other options? I have the Fosgate system in boat and sub with fosgate amps. Looking at adding a pair of Rev10 to the tower. Looking for a good amp to push them properly but... $650 for one seems over kill for just the pair... I could be wrong. I have only ever installed Exile on my previous boats... other than ready having a factory Wetsounds set up on last Axis. 

I was considering these... 

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-DX874

https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p600x4/

https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p1000x2/

https://phoenixgold.com/products/mx-600w-4-channel-full-range-class-d-sub-compact-amplifier

I know there above the 650 you want to spend, but these amps will run two Rev 10s  pretty good. 

Wetsounds Syn2 or Syn 2.3 or JL Audio HD750. 

Edited by dwc032
1 hour ago, dwc032 said:

I know there above the 650 you want to spend, but these amps will run two Rev 10s  pretty good. 

Wetsounds Syn2 or Syn 2.3 or JL Audio HD750. 

Syn 4 over a Syn 2. The Run the 4 bridged and you get solid power out of it. The 2.3 is the most reasonable 1 amp option if you're thinking of adding second pair down the road.

I’m not looking at the Wetsounds options... I know which one I would get with them.. I was referencing the ones I linked or similar. 

4 hours ago, DylanR said:

Looking for a good amp to push them properly but.

For a single pair, this would be an amp thats going to deliver 400W or more RMS @ 4 ohm x 2. None of those linked deliver this. A 4 chnl bridged into 2 and just hitting the suggested RMS = no wattage headroom. You are getting all the amp has to offer, and just getting the suggested wattage. On the other hand, a 2 chnl running a pair, means both chnls are at 4 ohm. So if the rms is the same as a bridged 4 chnl, the amp is then running more conservatives. 

2 minutes ago, MLA said:

For a single pair, this would be an amp thats going to deliver 400W or more RMS @ 4 ohm x 2. None of those linked deliver this. A 4 chnl bridged into 2 and just hitting the suggested RMS = no wattage headroom. You are getting all the amp has to offer, and just getting the suggested wattage. On the other hand, a 2 chnl running a pair, means both chnls are at 4 ohm. So if the rms is the same as a bridged 4 chnl, the amp is then running more conservatives. 

So you are saying they should get more than the suggested 300 watts? 

Edited by DylanR

I’m running a sinister sd2 on one pair right now. On my last Malibu I ran a Jl 750/1. I really like the Jl amp if you just plan on running one pair.  The sd2 is a bit overkill for one pair but I plan on adding another set.  Anything with 300-350 rms a can will work. 

15 minutes ago, DylanR said:

Yes, but theres more to it. When that 300 is a result of squeezing the amp for all its got, as in bridging a 4 chnl into to 2 chnls, the amp is running peddle to the metal, just to deliver the "suggested" wattage. In other words, 300 to each pod from a 2 chnl amp is better quality wattage then 300 from a bridged 4 chnl. 

2 minutes ago, MLA said:

Yes, but theres more to it. When that 300 is a result of squeezing the amp for all its got, as in bridging a 4 chnl into to 2 chnls, the amp is running peddle to the metal, just to deliver the "suggested" wattage. In other words, 300 to each pod from a 2 chnl amp is better quality wattage then 300 from a bridged 4 chnl. 

But if they both are getting the 300 watts why would I care? I know maybe amp life - Serious question

also you can power them with a mono amp also or no? 

1 minute ago, DylanR said:

also you can power them with a mono amp also or no? 

Not just any mono. You need one that is "fill-range", where as just about all mono amps are low-pass only. 

3 minutes ago, DylanR said:

But if they both are getting the 300 watts why would I care? I know maybe amp life - Serious question

The harder you run an amp, the more sound quality drops off. Think of the Autobahn and a big V8 BMW and small 4 cyl Opal both running 200 KPH. The V8 BMW is running part throttle and maintaining the same speed and poor 4 banger Opal that got the peddle matted. This is the difference between having more then the neede wattage or the difference between a 2 chnl and bridged 4 chnl delivering the same wattage. 

3 hours ago, DylanR said:

Yes absolutely!  I have 4 icons 8s being ran by a Syn 2.3. The amp is way overkill, but with proper tuning the 4 icons sound amazing and the amp runs super conservative. And If I want to add a pair or even two Rev’s the 2.3 would do the job.