Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G5 Tower speaker installation

jimbayca

Hi, noob here.  Just got a malibu 23 lsv with g5 tower.  Does anyone know if this comes prewired for tower speaker installation? 

Odd I thought all the towers were pre-wired for speakers? Is it as simple as just dropping some wire through to the underside?  I'm gonna have to install a set of REV10s on mine when it comes in as well.

11 hours ago, djheywood said:

Odd I thought all the towers were pre-wired for speakers? Is it as simple as just dropping some wire through to the underside?  I'm gonna have to install a set of REV10s on mine when it comes in as well.

They used to be, but not any more.

I wired mine with 2 runs of this stuff, 

makes it easy to fish through the gunnel and up the tower.  

Monoprice 14 AWG 4 Conductor CMP-Rated Speaker Wire / Cable - 100 Feet UL Plenum Rated, 100% Pure Bare Copper With Color Coded Conductors - Nimbus Series https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017SDDUPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PKAR26BVXBMMV8A838VN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

12 hours ago, djheywood said:

It's not a problem wiring them. The gunnel is already drilled under the tower base. I use a fish tape to pull the wires.

The wire Stevo posted above is the same speaker wire I use.

I use this for LEDs. For tower speaker LEDs.

Thank you for the links.  So is that one run of wire will supple two rev 10s on the same side? (I'm assuming its just two wires per can?  Never see the Rev10 off the tower)

20 hours ago, Stevo said:

Monoprice 14 AWG 4 Conductor CMP-Rated Speaker Wire / Cable - 100 Feet UL Plenum Rated, 100% Pure Bare Copper With Color Coded Conductors - Nimbus Series https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017SDDUPS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PKAR26BVXBMMV8A838VN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I'm about to do this as well so thanks for the links @Stevo @Ronnie

Do you go from port side for all the speakers?  Enough room for two 4 conductor cables?

Yes, 

i ran both cables through the port side.

I used a wire fish to pull a string from the starboard side to pull that run. 
also bent a wire coat hanger to pull the wires through the access holes.

14-4 wire is stiff enough to fish the port side on its own.

I’d also recommend measuring the hole and replacing the rubber grommet where the wire exits the tower because the factory one is probably cracked/damaged.

I got mine from mcmaster 

@Stevo  If I understand what you have done, you have ran 2 lines of 14-4 AWG.  One line for left (port) and one line for right (starboard) side.  Then, are you running 1 speaker per side or 2?  If 2 speakers per side (4 total on tower), are you splitting the 4 strands; 2 for top and 2 for bottom speaker?  

If you did that approach for 4 total tower speakers, was there a reason for not running 4 lines?  Would the 4 lines not fit?

14-4 has 4 wires . A (+ and - ) for 2 speakers 

I ran 2 sets of 14-4 through the port side of the tower, 1 of those runs continued over to the starboard side to power the other 2.

I ran this wire set up so I could power the speakers on a 4ohm load. Matched with my (2) xm30.2 amplifiers delivering 300w x2 each at 4ohms

AF0554DA-C852-4204-836E-43E80C1E05A0.jpeg

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2

A single jacketed 4 conductor can service 2 pair of speakers. Likely easier to fish then two 4 conductors up one side. Or fish a 4-con up each side, but no you're taking the long way around for the STBD side tower speakers.

seems like wiring the tower isn't that bad, but are there any instructions or tips about how to connect these speakers into the boat sound system itself.  I haven't been able to google anything on that?

On 4/5/2021 at 11:53 AM, Stevo said:

You were able to fit 2 runs (so 8 total wires!?) if so I may do that 

2 minutes ago, jimbayca said:

seems like wiring the tower isn't that bad, but are there any instructions or tips about how to connect these speakers into the boat sound system itself.  I haven't been able to google anything on that?

You’ll need exile adapters for the tower black box harness. 

In my home audio experience, bi-wiring (splitting of the 2-pairs in the 14-4) has been beneficial when you had a HF and LF but not when splitting between two speakers.  If you were able to run one line 14-4 to one speaker, and another line of 14-4 to the other speaker, you had more overall clarity.  With the way the amps are setup, it may not make much of a difference in this case. 

Regarding the exile adaptors memtioned above.... If you have the syndx 2.3 hp wetsounds amp and need to connect it to the black box labled medallion in a malibu, when adapter from exile do you need? it looks like they make two.... and is exile the only marketed option for the adapter?  

On 4/6/2021 at 2:14 PM, bcoppess23 said:

In my home audio experience, bi-wiring (splitting of the 2-pairs in the 14-4) has been beneficial when you had a HF and LF but not when splitting between two speakers.  If you were able to run one line 14-4 to one speaker, and another line of 14-4 to the other speaker, you had more overall clarity.  With the way the amps are setup, it may not make much of a difference in this case. 

2 pair of 14 gauge conductors is overkill for a single speaker.  The purpose of the 14/4 is so that you terminate each wire to a single speaker terminal on the tower (assuming 2 pair) so you don't have to make Y's in the tower.  You just join them at the amp.  Also gives you more flexibility if you change your amp setup as well.  Don't believe it has anything to do with bi-amp/bi-wiring.

Edited by pauley71
1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

2 pair of 14 gauge conductors is overkill for a single speaker. 

Wire gauge is not about the number of speakers or the size of the speaker, but the amp wattage. 

12 hours ago, ONEMORETIME said:

Regarding the exile adaptors memtioned above.... If you have the syndx 2.3 hp wetsounds amp and need to connect it to the black box labled medallion in a malibu, when adapter from exile do you need? it looks like they make two.... and is exile the only marketed option for the adapter?  

Depends on if you are running one for the tower speakers or one for the interior speakers.  

GOT it... I am adding REV 10's, using a wetsounds amp...  so that adaptor for tower speakers from exile for $100 will work with the wetsounds equipment/AMP? 

Thanks a million for your insight!!

On 4/6/2021 at 9:42 AM, jimbayca said:

@IXFE has done some great stereo install how-to write ups that will help. I’ll link an example below from his 2018 build:

• Like 1