Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 A22 Garage Specs (Height, Width, Depth)

scrupulous

We are just about to finalize a "new to us" 2019 A22 and I found out today that my storage fell through.   As I start looking for other options, what are the minimum clearance specs for a 2019 A22 with the tower down?  We weren't planning on using our garage, however our house has a 6'10" (2) car door and it is 22' 8" deep and 19' wide.   I could adjust the trim and door stop to get 7'1" with out too much trouble, I wonder if I could make it work by parking diagonal?  I could also gain 4” in depth by cutting our (1) layer of gyp and one stud depth.  I would also prefer not to remove the swim platform every time but I am curious what that would gain us.   I swear I saw this on the AXIS page at some point but am unable to find it now.    

Edited by scrupulous

There was a really good spreadsheet ( every boat with different towers etc in link but  I think it got lost in the server reset.  I just searched and can’t find it now ? Maybe post in the Malibu forum . Hopefully someone still has that link !

Edited by smuurph84

I cant remember what year this covers, but the numbers shouldn't vary significantly.  I do park my boat diagonally.  You'll just have to figure out what you can accomplish with the truck as you wont be able to spin the dual axle trailer.

1302248439_AxisTrailerHeightandLengthSpecs.thumb.jpg.dd66b149bebbca92d5f53020e797b760.jpg

• 1 month later...

If I disconnect the door and push it all the way up I have 7'9" of clearance.  If I don't disconnect the door I am at 7'3".  It is plenty for my 2013' A22 but I know these newer boats are bigger.  

Edited by theloungelife
forgot word

I have a ‘19 with 14” wheels on the trailer and a level entrance and get under 8’ door opening with plenty to spare (door probably hangs down 1-2”).

If I cut down/shorten my tower support pole, remove Bimini each time I go in, I bet I would clear 7’3 but it might be close. You’d clear 7’9 easy. I think you can make it work for sure. 

Edited by formerathlete
  • Like 1

One thing I’m not sure about, however, is if the Axis towers with shock assist option (boats MY 2020 and newer) sit higher when folded down. Mine being a ‘19 does not have that feature and can go pretty far down when folded. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the insights @formerathlete.  I've asked the dealer if they can get me a number as well.  Still waiting on that.  We're chatting about building a 22' but the garage piece has me worried.  Storage is sparce around me, plus it's nice to have the boat at home.  

On 5/10/2021 at 9:50 PM, formerathlete said:

One thing I’m not sure about, however, is if the Axis towers with shock assist option (boats MY 2020 and newer) sit higher when folded down. Mine being a ‘19 does not have that feature and can go pretty far down when folded. 

There are a set of nobs that you unscrew to let the shock assist tower folder even lower. The limiting factor ends up being the tower supports that swing out when you lower the tower, but tower itself is as low as the windshield. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dsalyers said:

The limiting factor ends up being the tower supports that swing out when you lower the tower, but tower itself is as low as the windshield. 

On models before 2020, those tower supports swing in and are actually lower than the tower. So that would definitely be something to check on in terms of a higher "low point."

I honestly don’t know if they will swing in like the 2019 tower and allow the tower to fold all the way down. I’ve never attempted it. Maybe someone that has can chime in. 

I would guess that the new low point isn’t more than 2-3 inches taller than the highest point on the windshield. But that’s just my guess. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the help all.  I put a deposit in on a 2022 build.  Stoked.  Won't have it till fall (maybe) but will enjoy my current 13' in the meanwhile.  

• Like 2

I am picking up my 2019 next Friday.  In additional to some really helpful members here, I had actually sent direct messages back and forth with Axis, they confirmed that the overall height with the 14" wheels is 84"   That is the technical spec with no room to spare.   Your 7'9" (based on my conversation with Axis only) should be good.   I was lucky and my actual door header was already at 8' AFF so it will be pretty straight forward to reframe the opening and install a 16'x8' door.   Now the length will be my issue, I will either be parking diagonal or cutting some notches into the back garage wall.   Axis shared that the LOA for platform off, wedge down, and surfgates was 279"

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It fits!   I did need to notch out between (2) studs to get a little breathing room for one of the surfgates.   I park it with a little bit of a diagonal as well.    Garage is 274" deep, I gained 2" when I had the new door put in.   Now, I need to find a better option for holding the pins into the swim platform, those split rings about rip my fingernail off when I take them out......

• Like 2
1 hour ago, scrupulous said:

It fits!   I did need to notch out between (2) studs to get a little breathing room for one of the surfgates.   I park it with a little bit of a diagonal as well.    Garage is 274" deep, I gained 2" when I had the new door put in.   Now, I need to find a better option for holding the pins into the swim platform, those split rings about rip my fingernail off when I take them out......

Stainless steel hitch pins is what I use.  I think I got one of the split rings off, cut the other and went to the hardware store that evening.  Those that get to leave their platforms on don't know the struggles....

• Like 1
17 hours ago, wedge88 said:

Stainless steel hitch pins is what I use.  I think I got one of the split rings off, cut the other and went to the hardware store that evening.  Those that get to leave their platforms on don't know the struggles....

Just curious, hitch pin clips or a small hitch pin?   I did grab a few lynch pins and thought they would work but they looked like they would rub on the gel coat over time.   

I agree on the struggles, but being able to keep it in our own garage is pretty clutch!  

6 hours ago, scrupulous said:

Just curious, hitch pin clips or a small hitch pin?   I did grab a few lynch pins and thought they would work but they looked like they would rub on the gel coat over time.   

I agree on the struggles, but being able to keep it in our own garage is pretty clutch!  

I call it a hitch pin.  Some call it a clevis or cotter.  I don't know what's correct but here is a pic.  I don't remember the size but bought a few and took back what I didn't use.

shopping.png

4 hours ago, wedge88 said:

I call it a hitch pin.  Some call it a clevis or cotter.  I don't know what's correct but here is a pic.  I don't remember the size but bought a few and took back what I didn't use.

shopping.png

Perfect!    This will save my fingers.  

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2023 at 7:04 PM, SAkevin said:

Does anyone have the garage specs for the new T235?

Pro Tip - MN Inboards lists garage specs on all their postings

https://mninboard.com/boats/axis-boats/2023-axis-t235/

Length, tongue folded, platform on – 26’5″

Length, tongue folded, platform off – 25′

Height on trailer, tower down, racks in – 7’6″

Height on trailer, tower up – 10’10”

Edited by boardjnky4