Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Malibu Response LXI swim deck mounts worn. Anyone had luck retrofitting the newer stainless mounts and brackets

Hi 

My swim deck is loose due to the rear mounts being worn.

I can either replace them both with the same which will wear out again

Try and have them repaired or has anyone had luck retrofitting the newer stainless brackets and mounts? If so what part numbers did you use

cheers

5 hours ago, Ssh78 said:

Hi 

My swim deck is loose due to the rear mounts being worn.

I can either replace them both with the same which will wear out again

Try and have them repaired or has anyone had luck retrofitting the newer stainless brackets and mounts? If so what part numbers did you use

cheers

Pics?

if it’s the same as our 08, I’ve started shimming them. Ours has 1200 hrs on it, and a couple weeks a year moored on a rough lake. Guessing that’s where most of the wear has occurred. 

i had the french cleat style as oem on my '04.  didn't hold up well.

replaced them, maybe a decade ago, with the new style stainless and am really pleased.

new stainless stuff is kinda spendy but look great and are holding up swell, so far.

be aware there are several lengths of those ss brackets and it took my dealer about 4 attempts to get the right length.

iirc the oem holes on transom were re-usable but you will need to punch an additional hole for an additional bolt. 

clearances (working around the fuel tank) were trying.

again, iirc, oem transom bolts are too short for the new parts.  lengthy ss bolts were costly, too. 

I don't understand what could be wearing out. I have the ones you put a 3/16" (maybe 1/4") pin threw after placing platform. Is it that style?

22 hours ago, dhcomp said:

Pics?

if it’s the same as our 08, I’ve started shimming them. Ours has 1200 hrs on it, and a couple weeks a year moored on a rough lake. Guessing that’s where most of the wear has occurred. 

Thanks for your reply, mines done 1500hrs.

I’m not have much luck loading photos, tried a few times. 
any tips for that too lol

14 hours ago, tvano said:

i had the french cleat style as oem on my '04.  didn't hold up well.

replaced them, maybe a decade ago, with the new style stainless and am really pleased.

new stainless stuff is kinda spendy but look great and are holding up swell, so far.

be aware there are several lengths of those ss brackets and it took my dealer about 4 attempts to get the right length.

iirc the oem holes on transom were re-usable but you will need to punch an additional hole for an additional bolt. 

again, iirc, oem transom bolts are too short for the new parts.  lengthy ss bolts were costly, too. 

Is your boat an 04 Response LXI?

Im sure there probably the same bracket set up.

i like the idea of the stainless steel brackets, less prone to wearing.

Do you have part numbers of the mounts and brackets that you used?

10 hours ago, Ssh78 said:

Is your boat an 04 Response LXI?

Im sure there probably the same bracket set up.

i like the idea of the stainless steel brackets, less prone to wearing.

Do you have part numbers of the mounts and brackets that you used?

not lxi, mine is a cb response like my profile indicates.

just thought you may appreciate a little insight.

no part numbers but, since mine is NOT an lxi, it doesn't cross anyway.

9 hours ago, tvano said:

Might be the same brackets though.  The platforms are designed to be practically universal.  I'd actually be interested in switching over to that style if you like them.  I'd like to be able to more easily remove my platform by myself.  I can do it with the old slider setup, but it's cumbersome so I only do it when I need to work on/near the transom.  I think if I could remove it myself more easily, it'd add garage space.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 1:16 PM, dhcomp said:

Pics?

thanks,

id insert pics but havent yet worked out how to attach the pics as a URL. My mounts are aluminium blocks with a 45 degree angle on the top edge. The swim step brackets are aluminium too with a reversed 45 degree angle that hooks over the transom mounts.

i believe they changed to the stainless brackets and mounts in the newer models.

Do you have any pictures of yours and how you shimmed them?  

thanks 

On 4/5/2021 at 9:50 PM, tvano said:

My apologies for not picking up on that. 

Do you have any pictures of the stainless mounts and brackets you retrofitted?

And where did you source the parts?

11 hours ago, tvano said:

no worries.

pix in google photos. 

my maintenance log shows $422 for the brackets, which were sourced from the dealership in 2013. 

that price did not include the stainless hardware to attach.

Thanks for that 

they should work

dont suppose you have any part numbers 

On 4/23/2021 at 10:09 PM, tvano said:

no pn's

thanks anyway, 

Would you happen to know the transom mounted bracket degrees? Mine seems to be 10 degrees if I'm measuring it correctly and did you use all three bolt holes in the newer brackets or just the two that lined up with the OEM holes through the hull?

don't know bracket degrees.

On 4/4/2021 at 7:24 AM, tvano said:

I knew that we had just recently answered this question, so I looked furiously through the forum history and didn't find it.  Then I did a Google search and didn't find it.  Then I remembered the dreaded data loss of February, so I went to my photo collection and found this photo dated 27 February.  At the time I had measured the angle using Gimp, but I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader.  111 degrees comes to mind, but so does 114.  Best to measure it yourself, though. 

You can see the three lines in the photo if you look for them.  A response should be the same as my sunsetter.  Even better, take your own photo and measure.  The swim platform should be parallel to the outer chine, making the platform angle similar to the angle between the chine and the bracket mount pad.

spacer.png