Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VLX Cap, Rotor, Plug Replacement

Excited to pull the baby from winter storage in a few weeks, which calls for a few tune up items. Year 2 for me with the boat so this will be my first bout doing so. End of last season I would get a misfire only when running 30+ mph which would throw and misfire code (seemed to happen at a very specific speed only but do not recall what that was). Code goes away after a few cold starts and only happens on the same cylinder each time, which makes me to believe the issue lies within the cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs. If this doesn't solve the issue I have a warranty good throughout the season, so will go that route. leads me to a few questions I want to lean on the crew for:

2007 VLX with the Monsoon 340

• Manual calls for AC 41-932 plugs. Any insight on different plugs to use that have been discovered over the years? 
  • I cannot locate the cap and rotor part numbers in the manual and wont have the boat until 4/15. Anyone have this handy so I can order the part ahead of time?
    • Anything I should be looking out for when replacing these parts that make it difficult or hard to access as example?

Outside this I get to install the piggyback system, a 1235 prop upgrade, and putting LEDs throughout the boat. year 2 is going to be a blast!!! :rockon:

Appreciate ya'll in advance! 

For the plugs, the new version of the 41-932 is the 41-101  either works fine, 41-932 might be harder to find

Assuming the boat has HVS ignition - and I think that it does

Cap AC D329A  or ACCELL 120141

Rotor AC D465  or ACCELL 130141

13 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

For the plugs, the new version of the 41-932 is the 41-101  either works fine, 41-932 might be harder to find

Assuming the boat has HVS ignition - and I think that it does

Cap AC D329A  or ACCELL 120141

Rotor AC D465  or ACCELL 130141

thanks Jeep. Any way for me to know if it has HVS ignition without being inside the bay? 

2 minutes ago, BlacknBu said:

thanks Jeep. Any way for me to know if it has HVS ignition without being inside the bay? 

Only way I know of is to look at the cap.  HVS caps the plug wires attach at the side rather than the top.

Do you have a picture of the engine?

Edited by oldjeep
8 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Only way I know of is to look at the cap.  HVS caps the plug wires attach at the side rather than the top.

Do you have a picture of the engine?

I cant find a picture that has these parts, but i for sure remember it having those that plug into the side like this image so will shoot for the HVS part number. 

spacer.png

Just be really careful when you put the new cap on.  The screws are self tapping and are easy to strip if you get carried away.  Make sure the cap is seated and just snug it up.  It is such an issue that some of the caps come with slightly larger screws that you should only use if you have already stripped the distributor body.  Once you strip it twice then there are some kits that put a bracket under the stripped hole so that you can screw into that.

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just be really careful when you put the new cap on.  The screws are self tapping and are easy to strip if you get carried away.  Make sure the cap is seated and just snug it up.  It is such an issue that some of the caps come with slightly larger screws that you should only use if you have already stripped the distributor body.  Once you strip it twice then there are some kits that put a bracket under the stripped hole so that you can screw into that.

this is why the crew is such a great resource and glad i asked. appreciate the insight here for replacement as I always get carried away :) 

• 3 weeks later...

oddly enough the plugs looked fairly decent and nothing standing out for cyl 7. I will say this cap and rotor though....very glad i changed. trouble getting image in here but the corrosion was just dusting out with every terminal covers. 

Yeah, the automotive style caps with the aluminum contacts really corrode.  Especially in boats like mine where the pylon drains onto the distributor.  The caps with the brass contacts seem to last a lot longer.