Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Side gunnel net repairs

UWSkier

I'm doing a fairly mild interior renovation as part of the other work I've been up to, and one of the things that bugged me before was that the top webbing strap on my gunnel nets had frayed and looked like crap.  So since I had the sides off and my mom is really good at stuff like this, I solicited her help.  I sent my nets and some 2" navy blue webbing to her, and these came back.  :)  She's dang good at stuff like this.

PXL_20210331_212210572.jpg

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Sweet!  Will your Mom do my netting?  That fraying thing has bugged me for years.  BTW, any tips/tricks for getting the netting out?

I removed mine a few years ago because they looked so bad.  The uppers just have bungie that goes to hooks, and the lowers are held in by the aluminum pipes.  I had planned to rework mine, but decided I liked it better without them.

3 minutes ago, justgary said:

The uppers just have bungie that goes to hooks, and the lowers are held in by the aluminum pipes. 

The uppers on mine are bolted in; the lowers have a plastic pipe that makes it hard to find the fasteners.  Might have to borrow my wife's compact to see around the corner (cue the purse jokes!)

• 1 year later...

2001 Response, I just removed mine without removing the side bolsters.  I used a 90 degree drill (add on) to back out the phillips bit screws that are about 5/8" long.  To access the bungee that holds up the net at the back of the boat, remove the rear speaker and it is easy to unhook.  On a previous Response I had vinyl added to the top to cover the frayed area.  Currently I am thinking about just leaving them off as they just collected junk that didn't need to be stored.  Most places had one screw holding on the netting and one screw holding on the round pipe clamp.  I clicked on this thread hoping to see if someone had replaced with a flat carpeted board solution as I only really need to store my gaff in the side pocket.

I had a daydream of building a slalom ski rack to put in that space.  I would still like to make one, but I have other things to do that are higher priority.

The plan was to use an aluminum flat bar to span the top mount points, then hang J-hook type racks from it so that a slalom ski would stay against the hull and off the floor.  If it worked out, the port side was going to get the same treatment, except it would hold the barefoot boom.