Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diesel Drivers- use truck lanes or car to fill up?

MystiikVLX

When you all are towing? Do you use the truck lanes to fill up or the car lanes?

Some stations get packed in the summer months. Never had a diesel truck before.

Whatever you want.  Just realize that on the truck side of a truckstop you can't always use a credit card at the pump unless you have a special fleet card.  Learned that driving a moving truck cross country last month - had to go inside and prepay

The truck lanes tend to be MUCH larger feed hoses and nozzles.

Some trucks will take that much volume without burping back out, lots won't.

So if you go to the high flow ones, you tend to have to fill slow.

I default to car lanes, but will go to the truck lane if there aren't trucks around and the car ones are full.

My RAM 3500 will fill from the high volume pumps.  I have a friend with a Ford who says that the nozzle won't fit.  It will fit in my Jeep, but it is a capless system, and too much volume going in.

So, quite a few variables.  If you stop at a Flying J or Loves, they usually have "RV" lanes that aren't busy, have pay at the pump, and standard volume pumps.  Might be your best bet.

Yep, my ram 2500 will take the high volume too. Hard part, around here, is the two “normal” diesel pumps are usually taken by people getting gas, next to 100 open gas pumps. I get it, they are on the end and easy to get in and out of, not mad... just funny.... 

With the boat I try and find Casey’s fuel stations and use the separate fuel pumps. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel

I was at a Loves towing the boat recently. I went through the truck lane but only because I needed DEF too. Normally I’d just use the car pumps so as not to bother the “pros.” 

For what it’s worth, my 2019 Ford F-250 had no issue taking the larger, high flow, diesel nozzle. 

55ABC8E1-6B02-4C1C-A294-4D20FF59DBA6.jpeg

• Like 2

Neither, I have a Pacific Pride card and there never is any lines. My 2014 Ford will take a high flow nozzle also. If you live in the Pacific Northwest you can get a Pacific Pride card for just diesel. You do not need to have a business. 

The downside to using the truck pumps is that many times they spill diesel on the ground at the pump. If you step in it , put your shoes in the bed of the truck. Smell won't go away until you clean the floormats.

Just now, MLBurns said:

The downside to using the truck pumps is that many times they spill diesel on the ground at the pump. If you step in it , put your shoes in the bed of the truck. Smell won't go away until you clean the floormats.

That's interesting.  Now I know who does that at the urinals at truck stops....

25 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

That and the handles seemed to always be full of fuel.  

On 3/31/2021 at 7:17 AM, IXFE said:

I was at a Loves towing the boat recently. I went through the truck lane but only because I needed DEF too. Normally I’d just use the car pumps so as not to bother the “pros.” 

For what it’s worth, my 2019 Ford F-250 had no issue taking the larger, high flow, diesel nozzle. 

55ABC8E1-6B02-4C1C-A294-4D20FF59DBA6.jpeg

Same, and I'd swear that's my truck...  same color, wheels, and tires....  (but I don't need DEF :) )

I always keep a pair of work gloves to use when fueling. Don't worry too much about stepping in diesel on the ground. I try to avoid it but whatever....am in construction so am used to it.  Got my wife a new high country dmax. Try harder not to step in DF for her truck. 

• 1 year later...

I mostly use, carpool lanes because it's very convenient, and you can always pay with a credit card. The only thing I don't like is the long queue. However, in the district where I live, it is very rarely, so I don't go to the truck stop. I recently learned on the informative website https://zumroad.com/automotive that the gas stations at the truck stop have very large nozzles and hoses that do not fit the car. However, if you need to fill canisters, a truck stop is perfect because they have a DEF pump available. Either way, it's up to you to choose what you're more comfortable with.

Edited by PattyFalcon

Depends on the vehicle.  My tdi’s and my e350 didn’t like the big nozzles, so I would go for car pumps as much as possible. Also carried disposable gloves to wear while filling.  Diesel doesn’t evaporate as fast as gas, so any spills hang around longer.  Means the pump handles get nastier and the smell of raw diesel is unpleasant.