Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power for WetSounds Recon 6.5's

Cam12

Hi all, 

I recently picked up a set of 4 WetSounds Recon 6.5's to be used in my 2007 vRide as interior speakers. They have a power rating of 60 watts RMS/ 120 watts peak. I'm looking for suggestions on how/what to power these with. 

I'd prefer not to add another amp as the boat is already set up with a WetSounds Syn 4 powering two Rev 10's. 

Any suggestions on high power output single DIN headunits that could be used to power these 4 Recon 6.5's.  

Thanks!

You need an amp.

Head unit power is minimal in a car, not nearly enough in a boat.  Will it work and make noise, yes.  Will it sound good, and will you be happy with it's performance?  No.  

Some of the higher power head units are rated 50w/channel PEAK, but only see 15-20 rms.

Not nearly enough.  You need all the power you can get in a boat, so you'd want to find an amp putting out at least 50 rms/channel.  

Do you have plans to run a subwoofer?  If so, i recommend a 5 channel.  If not, you can get by with a 4.

I'm a big fan of the alpine PDX amps, but there are tons of options out there. Ive also had good success with refurb or used options.  

Good luck.  

Edited by dhcomp

Your source for equipment can and should always be a resource for these types of questions, as they should have product and marine audio knowledge, if they are an authorized and reputable dealer. 

Most typical head units are going to be in the sub 20W rms range to a 4 ohm speaker. Not ideal if you want to get the best a speaker has to offer, but certainly of for general listening. They are also typically limited on cross over settings. Most are just wide open full range, which is partly how they get away with low wattage. 

There are a couple single DIN units to hit the market in the past couple years that are boasting in the 40-50 watt RMS @ 4 ohm range. Better wattage for sure, but I still want to have some cross-over flexibility, not just full range.  

If you do not want fade, there are some 2 chnl marine amps that have a great dollar to wattage value and can deliver up to 100W rms to each speaker. Other wise, a solid marine 4 chnl would give you solid wattage and some better tuning flexibility. 

4 hours ago, MLA said:

Your source for equipment can and should always be a resource for these types of questions, as they should have product and marine audio knowledge, if they are an authorized and reputable dealer. 

Most typical head units are going to be in the sub 20W rms range to a 4 ohm speaker. Not ideal if you want to get the best a speaker has to offer, but certainly of for general listening. They are also typically limited on cross over settings. Most are just wide open full range, which is partly how they get away with low wattage. 

There are a couple single DIN units to hit the market in the past couple years that are boasting in the 40-50 watt RMS @ 4 ohm range. Better wattage for sure, but I still want to have some cross-over flexibility, not just full range.  

If you do not want fade, there are some 2 chnl marine amps that have a great dollar to wattage value and can deliver up to 100W rms to each speaker. Other wise, a solid marine 4 chnl would give you solid wattage and some better tuning flexibility. 

2 channel is a great idea.  Never used faders for interior speakers, especially with only 4.  

Thanks for the input guys. Did some more research and asking around. I ended up going with a Sony DSX-M80 high-output single DIN headunit. Its rated at 45 watts RMS x 4 channels. I'll let you know how it works/sounds once installed.