Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 LSV tow point

ScottBot

On our old 2015 LSV, the ski pylon was pretty substantial and worked well for towing a disabled boat.  However, our new 2021 has a much smaller ski pylon and the manual stats that that you shouldn't tow another boat from that point and any damage wouldn't be covered under warranty.

So my question is, where is the best point to tow another boat?

We just did a walk through on our new 23 LSV and the dealer told us to tow other boats from the rear rings and tubes from the rear grab handle. Only skis, wakeboards, and surfers from the pylon or tower.

• Like 2

Personally I tow from a side cleat, with the rope just wrapped in such a way that I can let go of the end and set them free if I have to.  I don't like being tied to another boat.

Not sure it matters a whole lot if you are just plodding along at a slow speed

Edited by oldjeep
25 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Personally I tow from a side cleat, with the rope just wrapped in such a way that I can let go of the end and set them free if I have to.  I don't like being tied to another boat.

Your intent to be able to release is good, but the lifting eyes on the back are far stronger than the cleats.  

I always vote for towing heavy things from lifting eyes.  

While we've all towed a tube from the tower, all is well until something happens.  if you've ever had a tube submarine, you know how much load it puts on the boat.  This is when you can break pylons, towers, etc.

So, their guidance isn't bad.  

24 minutes ago, dhcomp said:

Your intent to be able to release is good, but the lifting eyes on the back are far stronger than the cleats.  

I always vote for towing heavy things from lifting eyes.  

While we've all towed a tube from the tower, all is well until something happens.  if you've ever had a tube submarine, you know how much load it puts on the boat.  This is when you can break pylons, towers, etc.

So, their guidance isn't bad.  

Only issue with using the lifting eyes is that it is pretty tough to be able to release from there unless you are sitting on the sun deck holding the rope.

59 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just curious what you are worried about happening.   I have never pulled a boat at more than 5 MPH, and on a flat lake, so I don't see me getting pulled under, but I also am typically pulling with a big surf barge, not a VTX.  Even if the boat behind me explodes into flames, I see myself being pretty safe.  

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Just curious what you are worried about happening.   I have never pulled a boat at more than 5 MPH, and on a flat lake, so I don't see me getting pulled under, but I also am typically pulling with a big surf barge, not a VTX.  Even if the boat behind me explodes into flames, I see myself being pretty safe.  

If someone comes by with a swamping surf/cruiser wake, I want to be able to cut it loose so the boats don't hit.  Also when pulling into the dock it is a lot easier if you can just dump them next to the dock as the tow boat does a U-turn.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

If someone comes by with a swamping surf/cruiser wake, I want to be able to cut it loose so the boats don't hit.  Also when pulling into the dock it is a lot easier if you can just dump them next to the dock as the tow boat does a U-turn.

Exactly

Thinks go wrong.  If you are towing someone else, you always need to be in control of being able to cut them loose.  Even if that backup plan is being being ready with a knife.  

I tend to only pull with a LONG line, so potential for colliding boats is low, but crazy things can happen.  Someone tries to drive between the boats, narrow channels, needing to disconnect and walk the rope in a different direction near a dock, etc.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Also when pulling into the dock it is a lot easier if you can just dump them next to the dock as the tow boat does a U-turn.

If towing someone into a dock, I always tow from the back ring, and then when we get close to the dock, someone on the boat will just hold onto the rope.  At that point I am going slow enough that it isn't that hard.

I don't want to be attached to the boat I'm towing as I get close to the dock.  Last time I towed someone it was a busy weekend, and I just motored by the dock and threw someone on the dock the rope and let them pull the boat in.  I'm always willing to help those in need.  But I don't want to damage my boat doing my good deed either.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

If towing someone into a dock, I always tow from the back ring, and then when we get close to the dock, someone on the boat will just hold onto the rope.  At that point I am going slow enough that it isn't that hard.

I don't want to be attached to the boat I'm towing as I get close to the dock.  Last time I towed someone it was a busy weekend, and I just motored by the dock and threw someone on the dock the rope and let them pull the boat in.  I'm always willing to help those in need.  But I don't want to damage my boat doing my good deed either.

Exactly how i handle it.  I'll get them as close as i can without personal damage.  Lots of time, this is to hand off rope to dock, but sometimes they need to paddle the last bit in.  

I've always used a heavy duty carabiner on the rear lifting rings. If you need to unhook just put it in neutral and the boat being towed will continue moving and give ample slack to unhook. 

• Like 2
On 3/30/2021 at 10:05 AM, oldjeep said:

^^^^^ this, OMG.  long tube tow rope and slow slow slow speed, talk about over thinking something .  i use my rear deck ski pylon on my Axis, maybe the pull up ones are week?? 

this is the simple stuff!!

5 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

i use my rear deck ski pylon on my Axis, maybe the pull up ones are week?? 

The one on my 2021 seems considerably less robust than the one on my 2015.  That's what got me thinking.  Generally, I tow very very slowly anyway, but wanted to see if anybody had a better understanding of how strong/weak the new popup pylons really are.

• Like 1