Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 23lsv start issue

I have recently bought a 12 lsv that has had the mtc screen replaced about 18 months ago and the start does not work. I have tried multiple times enter code, engine start button changes press and hold and nothing. Put the key in and it starts right up. Only problem is if I typed the code in then the boat will stay running if I turn the key off and remove it but the screen won't shut it off either, I have to pull the kill switch to kill it. Again screen has been replaced and all features work but that button, no delanination either. Screen does have an issue where when I first put power to it it will turn white and have vertical lines, so what I have found is if I turn power on then back off right away and back on its boots up fine blower kicks on just won't start boat. I have unplugged everything and re seated it. Boat is in neutral as I can use the key and start it

in my case it was caused by warn out magnets on the shifter  have livorsi rebuild it.  the magnets are important to let the computer know the boat is in neutral .   

You may want to confirm that the VIPER and MTC software version is correct for your ECM type.  The MTC should be version v01429 3 and the VIPER version for MEFI6 is MY2012v8 and for Econtrol is MY2012 Econtrol v2.  Otherwise, you may have an issue with the CAN Buss wiring or one of the components on the CAN Buss that is preventing the auto-crank from working when using the MTC.

5 hours ago, csleaver said:

You may want to confirm that the VIPER and MTC software version is correct for your ECM type.  The MTC should be version v01429 3 and the VIPER version for MEFI6 is MY2012v8 and for Econtrol is MY2012 Econtrol v2.  Otherwise, you may have an issue with the CAN Buss wiring or one of the components on the CAN Buss that is preventing the auto-crank from working when using the MTC.

If they are different what steps need to be taken. Sometimes when I just turn power on and it sits there not running just playing music I get a loss of can buss warning but a cycle of power fixes it. 

If the CAN bus is corrupted the faulty connection or components must be repaired or replaced.  Check the connections and pins on the main engine and helm harness for corrosion or damage.  A faulty component like the depth transducer, paddlewheel, stereo module, viper, or MTC can corrupt the data.  Turn off the ignition power, unplug a component, turn the power back on and see if the MTC auto crank feature is working.  If the CAN is corrupted you should not be able to read data using Rinda Diacom and a laptop.

When diagnosing a CAN problem, it is common to separate the engine harness from the boat harness, power the ignition by jumping the red and purple connector at the alternator to power the ignition, then connecting Diacom to see if it can read engine data.  That will tell you if the CAN issue is on the engine harness side or the boat harness side.  Using CAN jumper wires to the helm can then tell if the problem is in the boat harness or helm harness.

An intermittent issue can sometimes be found with a wiggle test.  Basically, shaking the wires near the connectors to see if a connection will change when testing.

Edited by csleaver