Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depth alarm - What do you set it to?

uk_exile

Depends on the lake you are on.  For me I set it at 6 feet.  Keeps me out of trouble as we idle in to fingers for resting.  We usually anchor in at least 12 feet of water.  There are some shallow spots in the impoundments we boat on.

If we set it deeper it will make a racket at the ramps.

Edited by dlb

6 feet sounds quite sensible as we're only really at risk when coming into edge when not skiing. Looking underneath it appears like the depth transducer is alongside the tracking fins.

It's a natural lake with mostly 5 to 20 degree slopes at edge. Quite small, 0.5km x 1.5km in size. Away from edge it's 6 to 15m deep (20-60 feet).

Because edges are shallow the other direct drives using lake bang a steel post in at rear and tie bow rope to a tree. The outboards and I/O's just trim up and beach. 

We intially thought it was reading very wrong until realised it's display feet and not metres. Wish it was possible to change depth and temperature to metric.

Also check water depth vs actual prop/rudder clearance as the depth is not necessary set up as clearance and each boat varries. Depending how much shallow or hard shallow bottoms are on your lake and how you might want to set it up/adjust best for your understanding.