Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sportster LX Gearbox whine?

andybarefoot

Hi folks, 

Hopefully you can help. 
My mechanic has noticed a whine in my engine which seems to be at the drive shaft between the engine and the gearbox. 
It's a 5.7l Indmar with a ZF box I believe. 

I'm probably being stupid but the whine you can hear is when the boat is out of gear and when it is revving. 
So would that be from the gearbox or potentially something else? If it wasn't in gear and there was a whine, then is it gearbox related at all? Or could it be? 

I've only tested on the trailer in the workshop and not on the water. 

Before I press the button on a new / rebuilt gearbox, it'd be good to make sure I've tried everything else. 

When I say I whine, I mean when at idle you can hear friction, the more you rev the louder the whine. 
When you turn the boat off you can hear it rubbing until it winds down and stops. 

Hope this helps! 

Thanks in advance,

Andy 

I recommend taking a good tech on a water test. 

Bring tools to remove engine cover completely, but test with it on first  

boat make all sorts of noises you don’t notice in the water, that are totally normal. 

another big block boat I have sounded awful when I had my head down in the engine compartment. 

that all being said, good tech will help

you pinpoint the noise if it is real. 

good luck!

4 minutes ago, dhcomp said:

I recommend taking a good tech on a water test. 

Bring tools to remove engine cover completely, but test with it on first  

boat make all sorts of noises you don’t notice in the water, that are totally normal. 

another big block boat I have sounded awful when I had my head down in the engine compartment. 

that all being said, good tech will help

you pinpoint the noise if it is real. 

good luck!

Thanks a mill! I think before I do anything I will do a water test. 
The gear oil is on a lower side of OK but it' a good colour. 

I've been reading and folks are saying that it could actually be the fuel pump. 

gear oil?

Trans fluid is super hard to check.  Each one has it's own procedure, but most say you need to check warm, immediately following shutdown, before it drains back to the cooler or something.

I've VERY rarely checked this level successfully, and with confidence.  I tend to measure what i remove during changes, and put the same back in.

I think I know what noise you are talking about. I would describe it as less of a whine and more of a metallic friction rubbing noise. Mine makes this noise in faintly in neutral ( I think it goes away when you put it in gear) before it warms up to temp and then it goes away. The prop will also spin in neutral when when the fluid is cold so I assume it's the fluid moving those clutches and steels inside of the transmission due to higher viscosity. 

Before you do anything I would change the fluid and be sure the level is full. You should check the level with the trans up to temp right after you shut off the engine. The level should be checked with the dip stick threads resting on the fill port, not screwed in. Then do a water test. 

How many hours are on the boat?

1 hour ago, drh said:

I think I know what noise you are talking about. I would describe it as less of a whine and more of a metallic friction rubbing noise. Mine makes this noise in faintly in neutral ( I think it goes away when you put it in gear) before it warms up to temp and then it goes away. The prop will also spin in neutral when when the fluid is cold so I assume it's the fluid moving those clutches and steels inside of the transmission due to higher viscosity. 

Before you do anything I would change the fluid and be sure the level is full. You should check the level with the trans up to temp right after you shut off the engine. The level should be checked with the dip stick threads resting on the fill port, not screwed in. Then do a water test. 

How many hours are on the boat?

Thanks so much. 
That's exactly what we're gonna do and see how that goes. 
Fingers crossed. I'm not sure on the engine hours - but I'd say there is plenty. 

Andy