Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Paint on the engine, Factory?

rakr

As I was pulling of the wiring and rails to service the fuel injectors, it seemed like there was some paint sprayed around the area where the injectors were located. Could this be from the factory? 

I didn’t see a ton of overspray,  it it was definitely on the injectors, wires/connectors and was peeing off in some places, but was adhered pretty well in others. 

also, I am at least the 3rd owner of this boat. 2004 LSV. 

8A0B70D7-EB6B-4A05-9482-78A963477CE1.jpeg

4822E114-DA9C-432C-BB9B-AB9FE9629830.jpeg

I would presume that it is from a previous owner dolling it up for sale.  I occasionally touch up my exhaust manifolds just to stay on top of rust that really likes to happen in our salt air.

It is OK to wash a modern engine with a strong stream of water to keep it looking nice.  All of the connectors are water resistant, so as long as you respect the air intake you should be good to go.  I usually crank the engine and spray it with a garden hose while it is still cool, then let it warm up to help shed the water.  Spraying it while running helps keep water out of the alternator, and it also allows you to make sure you don't have a bad plug wire.

• 2 weeks later...

I just talked to Jim at Injector Repair (on another topic) and I mentioned the paint. He said most of the manufacturers then sprayed the engines with epoxy paint.