Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Problem

I have an 89 skier that we recently revived. Rebuilt carb, new points and condenser. Problem is it starts great cold and runs solid. For about 30 min. Then it will not idle. And if it dies it will only restart at near full throttle. It won’t idle slow enough to get it back into gear. Considering going to EFI, electronic fuel pump and electronic ignition. I know that’s extreme but I’m tired of getting stuck. Any thoughts on what to try?

Once warm & won't run, do you feel it's a fuel (running to rich vs starving) or electrical problem (not firing, missing).  Have you replaced the coil? I  have seen more than one motor run well till hot,then electrical gremlins show up - coil, ICM etc

I feel like it is running rich. Smells like fuel. I don’t think it is a spark issue as it will start after warm but it has to stay at high rpms. But I’m no expert and I guess maybe it stops firing at low rpms. Also, a couple of time we were running full throttle and it feels like it runs out of fuel. Frustrating. 

I would take a guess that it is running rich.  After you start and run the boat, turn off the engine, remove the flame arrestor and see if there is fuel dripping down into the throttle plates.  A faulty float needle or a poorly adjusted float can cause excessive fuel at idle and make a warm engine hard to start.