Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for advice

ralett

Hi all.  I'm new to this forum but not new to boating.  I owned a Malibu Sunsetter LXi "back in the day" that I bought new and owned for 10 years.  My current boat is a 2005 Formula 260 (also bought new, darn nice boat but low tech, and you can't surf behind it).

I currently have money down on a used 2020 23 MXZ but this is a "3rd owner, no warranty transfer" boat.

https://www.actionwatersportsaz.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=10212062&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

I am doing a lake test on Monday and I have my "check list" of things to test/confirm on the boat.  That said, I am nervous as crap about spending $130K on a used boat with no warranty and lots of technology/software that could potentially fail.

Any advice from those who have own recent Malibu boats?  Other than the obvious stuff (it starts, shifts, runs, lights work, ballast tanks fill and empty, etc.) is there anything in particular you would be diving into to confirm this isn't a "lemon" that someone dumped due to endless problems/issues?

I am considering asking if the "local Malibu dealer" can do an inspection before I buy, but I have no idea if they would do that or how much it might cost.  I think that local dealer sold the boat originally.

If this one doesn't work out I also have money down on a new A24 but I really like the 23 MXZ. Either way I am getting a surf boat!

Thanks!

Well, not to be that guy... but $130k is a decent amount of cash. Surely that amount could get you a boat with at least a warranty. I know the market is tight, but I’d keep looking. A 3 owner boat in 130 hours seems a little excessive. And that doesn’t seem like a good enough of a deal to take on the risk. You will eventually be trying to sell a 4 owner boat if you buy it. Just an opinion tho. 

• Like 1

@BlindSquirrelI was probably not clear in my original post but I would be owner #3. That said, your point is well taken and I appreciate the perspective.  The market is real tight and there are not many used 23 MXZ boats around since they just came out in 2020. Best quote I can get on a new one is $152K which is over my budget and why we may "settle for" the A24.  They are both nice boats. The A24 is new, and significantly less  expensive, but without some of the design features that we like on the 23 MXZ.

I would not buy a no warranty 2020.  Our 2020 LSV had a bunch of warranty work done including software updates to numerous modules.  It could be fine but third owner on a 2020 sounds bad.  It has the bad impeller/pump, who will pay for that when it is generally available?

• Like 1

Add me to the list of people that would not buy a 2020 without a warranty. Especially with the pump issues they’ve been having. You lose an impeller and do serious damage to the engine you will be out a whole lot of money!

Edited by vaporbluebu

I bought a brand new 2020 23 MXZ. It’s had several small issues like stated above and I have had the impeller issue. 3 in 130 hours. I couldn’t imagine not having a warranty. I say pass and look at another boat. 

@ralett - You might want to pursue the reason it is a non warranty boat, a quick look at the Malibu website indicates most of the systems have a 5 year warranty.  I did not dig enough to see if that only applies to initial buyer, so that would need follow up.  The dealer carries Cobalt, which is within the Malibu family so there should be some relationship there that may allow a warranty to be attached.  I does seem a bit risky to drop that level of $ on a 2 year old boat that doesn't carry the warranty to the potential buyer.  Good luck.

2 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@ralett - You might want to pursue the reason it is a non warranty boat, a quick look at the Malibu website indicates most of the systems have a 5 year warranty.  I did not dig enough to see if that only applies to initial buyer, so that would need follow up.  The dealer carries Cobalt, which is within the Malibu family so there should be some relationship there that may allow a warranty to be attached.  I does seem a bit risky to drop that level of $ on a 2 year old boat that doesn't carry the warranty to the potential buyer.  Good luck.

Hey guys,

Malibu offers 2 warranty slots that are equal to each other. 5 years on everything and I think 10 years on the hull. Should the boat go to a 3rd buyer, they would need to find and buy an extended warranty. I did some quick looking around on inboards only and found some nice, low hour 2020 23 MXZ's so perhaps do a bit more shopping? 

Best,

Chris

@Woodskithanks for chiming in.  I do have to give the dealer credit they were straight up with me when I talked to them that they could not transfer the warranty.  This is a Malibu policy, the warranty can only transfer once, so 2nd owners can get the remaining warranty (if they pay the transfer fee).  3rd owner and beyond is out of luck.  Many people are unaware (I certainly was) but there are other threads on this forum about the warranty transfer topic.  I can buy a third party warranty, but they are thousands of dollars (like, $4-5K for a 3 year warranty).

I'm going to lake test it and I may be able to talk to the original owner.  We'll see...I am on the fence but 2020 23 MXZs are few, and they typically want $140K and up for them used, if you can find one.

Not saying that I "nickel and dimed" them on the warranty, but screws fell out of plastic housings, plastic housings broke and many, many other minor details that would have been a cost or a hassle for me. I also had larger issues like a problem in the fiberglass, I had the small screen (brain) replaced, some issues with the SeaDeck type product they used on mine. Most of this warranty work happened after the 15-18 month timeframe.

They cost too much to be responsible for the little crappy stuff that you shouldn't have to cover when you pay that much for a product. It would have to be a smokin' deal to buy any high end boat (made by any manufacturer) without the warranty coverage, cuz there will be costs that fall on you. 

Like the great John Bender said, "Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place."

I don't look forward to the date where they start becoming my problem. 

• Like 2