Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle swap on LSA engine caused loss of power

We have a 2012 247 LSV with a 2015 LSA engine in it. The original throttle in the boat had a problem shifting into reverse, so we replaced it with a newer model. Since installing the new throttle we have had a significant loss of power. Does anyone know who I could talk to to get this resolved? Is there a map in the throttle assembly itself that sends the amperage to the computer? Any help or insight into this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

Why not try to use the original Livorsi? I have one that needs to be rebuilt by them. Livorsi charges $125 to rebuild it and it takes 2 weeks. Just a thought. 

Edited by rakr
8 minutes ago, rakr said:

Why not try to use the original Livorsi? I have one that needs to be rebuilt by them. Livorsi charges $125 to rebuild it and it takes 2 weeks. Just a thought. 

I did not know they offered that service. That would be the way to go. However it would be nice to get the new throttle working properly and sending the correct voltage to the motor. 

The boat used to plane out no problem when wakeboarding with 17 people in the boat slammed full of ballast, now not so much. 

Using a laptop with Rinda Diacom software, cable, and CAN adaptor will allow you to see what the pedal position and electric throttle position are to determine if there is a problem.  A cylinder drop test using diacom to turn off individual fuel injectors can quickly tell if each cylinder is making power or not.
Connecting a mechanical fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail test port will help tell if there is a fuel pressure issue.  Most supercharged engines use a special high flow fuel pump assembly and if one of the two pumps fail you may notice a reduction in power.

It may also be a good idea to perform a compression test to verify that the engine can produce power if everything else seems to be working correctly.

1 hour ago, csleaver said:

Using a laptop with Rinda Diacom software, cable, and CAN adaptor will allow you to see what the pedal position and electric throttle position are to determine if there is a problem.  A cylinder drop test using diacom to turn off individual fuel injectors can quickly tell if each cylinder is making power or not.
Connecting a mechanical fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail test port will help tell if there is a fuel pressure issue.  Most supercharged engines use a special high flow fuel pump assembly and if one of the two pumps fail you may notice a reduction in power.

It may also be a good idea to perform a compression test to verify that the engine can produce power if everything else seems to be working correctly.

Thank you, that helps tremendously. When we put the original throttle on the boat it accelerates like normal however the switch on the chip that initiates it into reverse is no longer operational hence the replacement. That is why we came to the conclusion that it was just a throttle response issue without checking if the cylinders are holding pressure and all firing properly, checking the fuel pumps, etc. 

6 hours ago, Wasadler said:

I did not know they offered that service. That would be the way to go. However it would be nice to get the new throttle working properly and sending the correct voltage to the motor. 

The boat used to plane out no problem when wakeboarding with 17 people in the boat slammed full of ballast, now not so much. 

Sorry. I could have clarified a bit. I have a throttle that should work. I’ll make you a good deal on it, but you’ll still have to send it to Livorsi for service. Otherwise it looks like there are other good options. 

that “booboo” cost me $1200 at the dealership and more than a month vs $125 and less than 2 weeks. 

good luck!!!