Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extended warranty on 2017 21 VLX...Yea or Nay?

Just took delivery on our 2017 VLX with 209 hours.  No issues so far but we have the option of purchasing a three year warranty through the dealer for $3200.  Thoughts from the group on if it’s worth it?   Versus just dealing with any possible issues when they come up.  Thanks. 

Everything seems to be mint.   No issues that I know of.  Touchscreens all in great shape and work as advertised.  That is my fear though.  Having to replace one of those at some point.  

27 minutes ago, TinmanF16 said:

Just took delivery on our 2017 VLX with 209 hours.  No issues so far but we have the option of purchasing a three year warranty through the dealer for $3200.  Thoughts from the group on if it’s worth it?   Versus just dealing with any possible issues when they come up.  Thanks. 

Have you seen any service records on the boat.  Catalytic converters are known to have had issues in 2017.  I had mine changed under warranty.  I have also had a couple of minor things done as well (blower, a couple different sensors and a new boat cover).  All covered under warranty.  Definitely look to see what has been done.  The sensors and cats were definitely a common problem in that year.  Other than that, that boat has a solid engine in it and I haven't heard of any major screen issues out of the newer boats yet.

• Like 2

How long do you plan on keeping the boat?  IIWM and I planned on keeping the boat for the term of the warranty, I would consider it.  If you're only going to keep it for a season or 2, then I likely wouldn't.  

EDIT:  Like @Hemmy check to see if the cats were ever dealt with.  I had the same issue as he did and mine were replaced under warranty as well.  I echo his comments though.  It's a great boat and a very solid performer.  You will want a few hundred pounds of lead in the bow if you surf.  

Edited by Slayer
  • Like 2

Ok thanks for the input.  I might not be able to get all the maintenance records since it wasn’t bought and serviced at the dealer where I bought it.   Not sure about catalytic converter.