Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skiing Behind 04 Wakesetter 21 VLX?

mcm29

I'm looking at purchasing a 2004 Wakesetter 21 VLX as the family's first boat. We plan on using it as a cross-over as I slalom and the family is getting into watersports. As I understand, this is primarily a wake boat. How is it it to ski behind? I don't expect to run courses. 

7 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Some comments there.  Depending on line length and skiing speed it is slalomable.  Don't expect Response or even VTX wakes.  

Eagleboy99 is on the money. Its not a ski boat!  The big thing you can do is play with speed and line length.  I think you will find a short line could be the best.  If you can ski a higher speed I think this will help.  Run the speed you hope to ski. Put your ski rope out and let the line out until you see the handle in the best crossing wake.

I slalom behind our 2004 VLX. 34-36 mph, 15 and 22 off. Fairly decent wake at those speeds and line lengths. Keep your ski on edge and pull hard across the wake. Boat does not track or handle well through the ski course. 

That was the last year of the smaller Wakesetter, and some of those were actually built with diamond hulls.  Either way, it should be an OK ski boat if on the wake hull and a very good ski boat if it's on the diamond (Sunscape 21 LSV in Wakesetter clothing i.e. a Fakesetter)

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@mcm29 - I recommend you ski it during your test drive, first hand experience is priceless.  Given your comment on usage, which compromise (ski v wake) is a key factor in what boat you choose.

:plus1: on Woodski's comment.  We all look for different levels of what we except for our level of skiing.  For me getting back to a DD ski tug was :woot::yahoo:.

The 04 wakesetter has a decent recreational wake but if your really trying to make great improvements in your technique you will struggle. I was never able to cut through the wake without backing off my edge. the good news is that the 04 is one of the best boats to transition into other wakesports. vary good wake board wake, a decent surf wave with an excellent layout. What I discovered with our 04 was that what it lacked in skiability it more than made up for in other areas. I don't think I could recommend a better all around first boat.

Thanks all for the feedback - I'm going to hold out hope for a decent priced Sunscape or DD that I can test out. Seems like I could make this work, but I don't think it'll be easy to get this one on a lake for a test for a bit. 

2 hours ago, mcm29 said:

Thanks all for the feedback - I'm going to hold out hope for a decent priced Sunscape or DD that I can test out. Seems like I could make this work, but I don't think it'll be easy to get this one on a lake for a test for a bit. 

I’d find out if it has the diamond hull. @UWSkieris right. That is definitely skiable.

6 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

ANYTHING is skiable.

Not in my book. My sister has the equivalent sunscape. It’s not as good as my SSLxi or my ResponseTxi, but I’ve skied at 15-28 off and would say it’s better than any other V-drive or I/O I’ve skied behind. Definitely doable unless you are skiing the course.

I wouldn’t ski behind it if it’s a wake hull. I’ve skied that as well...not good.

Edited by braindamage
1 minute ago, braindamage said:

Not in my book. My sister has the equivalent sunscape. It’s not as good as my SSLxi or my ResponseTxi, but I’ve skied at 15-28 off and would say it’s better than any other V-drive or I/O I’ve skied behind. Definitely doable unless you are skiing the course.

I've run the orange loop behind that hull in the course.  Bit of a handful for the driver with my big arse back there but that's also doable.

Just now, UWSkier said:

I've run the orange loop behind that hull in the course.  Bit of a handful for the driver with my big arse back there but that's also doable.

I’m sure that’s more you pulling the stern around than the wake. You put a lot of pressure on the line for sure!