Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Too much oil put into Monsoon 409 (L96) - is an extra 2 quarts harmful??


Recommended Posts

Hey Crew.  First post on a while.  Just had my 2015 22VLX serviced (same place I have always had it done - every 50 hours) - and yes, I know I should check the dipstick more often (!!) - but according to the paperwork they drained 8.5 litres (8.98 US Quarts) from the motor and put back in 6.5 litres (6.34 US Quarts).  Spec sheet says the capacity should be 6.0 US Quarts.  My question is:  would having an extra 2.1 Quarts have done any damage to the motor??  Any help will be appreciated.

Link to post

I’m going to go with yes. I don’t truly know for sure, but two extra quarts is a lot. I’d be refraining the like and refilling. Especially if you haven’t run the boat yet.

Edit: re-reading your post it sounds like you are concerned with how much they drained. I can’t say if it did any damage or not. Was the boat running ok? Maybe it was a typo by the service tech?

  • Like 2
Link to post

Too much oil can result in damage.  The reason - if the oil level is high enough the crank can whip the oil and aerate it, similar to whipping eggs or milk.  Aerated oil offers much less protection against scuffing bearings and pistons.  It also results in higher running oil temps.  Interesting the dealer did not mention it if they did actually drain an extra 2 qts rather than a typo.

  • Like 2
Link to post

Take it for a bomb around the lake or two, check the vitals, if all appears normal there is realistically nothing else to do but assume it was a typo.  

If it were an airplane engine you would tear it all down and inspect for damage as airplane people just have to know. But on a boat absent some other alarming symptom that needs to be addressed, declare victory and keep going.

Link to post
12 hours ago, PeteOOXXOO said:

Hey Crew.  First post on a while.  Just had my 2015 22VLX serviced (same place I have always had it done - every 50 hours) - and yes, I know I should check the dipstick more often (!!) - but according to the paperwork they drained 8.5 litres (8.98 US Quarts) from the motor and put back in 6.5 litres (6.34 US Quarts).  Spec sheet says the capacity should be 6.0 US Quarts.  My question is:  would having an extra 2.1 Quarts have done any damage to the motor??  Any help will be appreciated.

8.98 - 6.0 = ~3 quarts high, not 2.1. 

Low oil starves the top end; high oil starves the bottom end.  That said, I talked to a car dealer during the "Cash for Clunkers" rebate program here who told me that they drained all of the oil out of a car, put it on the lift, cranked it, and put a brick on the gas pedal.  They expected it to run about 30 minutes and die, but they let it run wide open for hours and eventually turned it off because they were all tired of the noise.  Your engine is tougher than you think, and you probably haven't run it for years with that oil level.

Also, during the heavy listing surf years wasn't the cure for low oil warnings to just add an extra quart of oil?

Afterthought:  It might be worth your time to make sure that it wasn't gas in the oil.  Maybe you did have the correct amount of oil, and something else is wrong.

  • Like 3
Link to post

I have the same condition in my 22VLX with 409. I perform my own changes. Oil drain thru hull for a few days to insure pan is empty. I fill oil filter before installing. Has always needed around 7 quarts to get oil level on dip stick to required levels. That is with boat on trailer setting level and after fake a lake warm up, go figure .

Link to post
19 hours ago, Woodski said:

Too much oil can result in damage.  The reason - if the oil level is high enough the crank can whip the oil and aerate it, similar to whipping eggs or milk.  Aerated oil offers much less protection against scuffing bearings and pistons.  It also results in higher running oil temps.  Interesting the dealer did not mention it if they did actually drain an extra 2 qts rather than a typo.

Thanks mate.  The dealer went through the paperwork with me after the service - not sure they meant to include the last page - has a formal table with "Engine Oil Levels" as the heading, then "Eng Oil QTY Out" and Eng Oil QTY In" - with 8.5 and 6.5 respectively (litres).  She saw that and glossed over it.  

Link to post
17 hours ago, justgary said:

8.98 - 6.0 = ~3 quarts high, not 2.1. 

Low oil starves the top end; high oil starves the bottom end.  That said, I talked to a car dealer during the "Cash for Clunkers" rebate program here who told me that they drained all of the oil out of a car, put it on the lift, cranked it, and put a brick on the gas pedal.  They expected it to run about 30 minutes and die, but they let it run wide open for hours and eventually turned it off because they were all tired of the noise.  Your engine is tougher than you think, and you probably haven't run it for years with that oil level.

Also, during the heavy listing surf years wasn't the cure for low oil warnings to just add an extra quart of oil?

Afterthought:  It might be worth your time to make sure that it wasn't gas in the oil.  Maybe you did have the correct amount of oil, and something else is wrong.

Thanks mate - good point.  I am yet to chat with the techs at the dealer - wanted to see what you all though first :)

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...