Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1988 Restored/Modified Sunsetter, what is it worth?

KCChief

I have a 1988 Sunsetter that was restored and upgraded over the course of three years.  All work completed by professionals.  This setup has less than 100 hours (boat in storage or else I'd go check).  Here are some highlights:

• All new floor, stringers, everything gel coated top and bottom, cost over $5k. 
  • All new seating and upholstery, cost over $5k. 
  • Original 350 Merc, with 4 barrel car. Top end engine and carb rebuilt, added HEI. 
  • Direct drive rebuilt. 
  • New steering cable. 
  • New gauges. 
  • New Bluetooth radio. 
  • New Steering Wheel
  • Big Air tower with racks, speakers, and optional large bimini. 
  • Marideck floor.  
  • New custom cover, $1.4k
  • Completed rebuilt trailer, including new winch, paint, bunks, carpet
  • lots more, as nothing was left untouched.

Always kept in heated storage or my garage.  Excellent shape.  Unfortunately I've only used this a couple times each of the last 2 seasons, so I'm considering selling it.  No expense spared.  If I add up all the receipts, I'm sure it's over $30k.  I built it to be my forever boat, but given it's limited use and the crazy boat market, I'm considering letting it go.  I'd like some opinions on what it's worth.  Here are some pics for reference.  Thanks!

RYmqDWZG_o.jpg

IPt6KEHh_o.jpg

NMalcDzR_o.jpg

reGepQ4w_o.jpg

YbRzORCU_o.jpg

rtcDcb8r_o.jpg

Boat look killer, but even in today's crazy market, there is a limit to it's value.

Once you get in to the $20-30k range, you can get into a 2004-2008 Response LXI.  Hard to justify buying a "classic" like this for that high of value, unless you find that 1 in a million buyer.

In today's market, listing it in the high teens with goal of selling around $15k feels right to me.

I know this is way under your cost, but given you built it with "no expense spared", it's not surprising you are going to lose some money.

Just my 2 cents.  Restoration looks killer, never seen one of those in that good of shape!

• Like 1

Thanks man, I'm not offended at all, I'm looking for honesty here.  I've seen a couple sell at $30k, but to your point, it takes the right buyer.  The benefits of the classic are, they hopefully won't depreciate as fast, and frankly it's more reliable as it's not overly complex, and has minimal electronics.