Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1993-1996 Malibu Echelon Starter Relay Part number?

Hey guys, Im having some issues with my '94, Im getting the notorious "Clicking" but no crank on the starter. Theres enough forums out there going into detail about this issue, so i'm not going to explain it here.

I what to start by replace my starter relay located on the top driver side of the motor (by the 50Amp breaker) There is no part number on this and bakes has multiple relays that look similar. Can some someone point me in the direction to where I can find one of these starter relays? 

I also have another question, If I were to buy a new starter, can I buy a generic starter for this motor or does it have to be a special marine starter? The motor is the 350 small block.

Thanks guys!

8 hours ago, JDoidge92 said:

Hey guys, Im having some issues with my '94, Im getting the notorious "Clicking" but no crank on the starter. Theres enough forums out there going into detail about this issue, so i'm not going to explain it here.

I what to start by replace my starter relay located on the top driver side of the motor (by the 50Amp breaker) There is no part number on this and bakes has multiple relays that look similar. Can some someone point me in the direction to where I can find one of these starter relays? 

I also have another question, If I were to buy a new starter, can I buy a generic starter for this motor or does it have to be a special marine starter? The motor is the 350 small block.

Thanks guys!

Yes, it must be a marine version.  Do not put a generic starter in your boat.

I strongly suspect that your starter is simply full of carbon.  You can clean it pretty easily and recut the grooves in the commutator so that it works fine again.

• Like 3

Based on your question relative to the marine version starter, I highly recommend understanding all the componentry that is marine specific.  Basically it boils down to anything that sparks or routes / contains fuel needs to have the marine anti spark / spill configuration.

If you are getting the clicking sound from the starter, that means the 50A relay is doing it's job and supplying power to the starter, doesn't it?  Since the power is at the starter I'd focus on those connections and/or like @justgary said too.  You've probably already done this, but I'd start with a new battery, charge it fully, and make sure all of your connections at the battery and at the starter are shiny clean and tight

There have been lots of vids out there with boat explosions from non-marine components creating a spark too, so I agree with the others...don't go with anything that is electrical and not marine rated.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

Yes, it must be a marine version.  Do not put a generic starter in your boat.

I strongly suspect that your starter is simply full of carbon.  You can clean it pretty easily and recut the grooves in the commutator so that it works fine again.

Great that’s what I suspected but I had a few people tell me I could just get a starter from summit racing and it will work. I will most definitely be going marine! 

Aswell thanks for that input, I will be looking into that on my starter. 

1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

If you are getting the clicking sound from the starter, that means the 50A relay is doing it's job and supplying power to the starter, doesn't it?  Since the power is at the starter I'd focus on those connections and/or like @justgary said too.  You've probably already done this, but I'd start with a new battery, charge it fully, and make sure all of your connections at the battery and at the starter are shiny clean and tight

There have been lots of vids out there with boat explosions from non-marine components creating a spark too, so I agree with the others...don't go with anything that is electrical and not marine rated.

This is my situation, when I go to start the boat, I will just hear a click which sounds like it’s coming from that starter relay I described (the starter dose not turn over and no noice comes from it) after about 5-10 turns of the key it will start cranking and fire up (all at random). 
I have 2 brand new optima blue tops in the boat. Iv checked over the grounds and connections, they are all good.

Iv been reading the issue could be that starter relay so I want to start there as it’s only a 20-30$ part. 

any more suggestions around that I would love to hear! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JDoidge92 said:

Iv been reading the issue could be that starter relay so I want to start there as it’s only a 20-30$ part. 

Yes, with those symptoms I would start with the relay.  They are cheap.  If you are like me, though, you'll pop the plastic top off of it and then file and burnish the contacts.