Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery - Option 3 Question

I just picked up my 2021 23 LSV and have a question about Battery setup Option 3.  My last LSV had that option, but the battery switch had another setting.  This one just has Off, On, and Combine.  So I'm just wanting to make sure that this is the same as Option 3 that will not drain the engine start battery if you just sitting listening to music for a while.

So is this the right battery switch?

spacer.png

Battery option one is a single battery on/off switch.

Battery option two is off/batt1/batt2/1+2. 

Battery option three, what you have pictured here, is off/batt1/1+2(combined). Its a good option as you can only run down one battery. 

Edited by COOP
1 hour ago, COOP said:

Battery option one is a single battery on/off switch.

Battery option two is off/batt1/batt2/1+2. 

Battery option three, what you have pictured here, is off/batt1/1+2(combined). Its a good option as you can only run down one battery. 

Great.  I was hoping to hear that.  I must have had Option 2 (not 3) on my old LSV.

3 hours ago, COOP said:

is off/batt1/1+2(combined)

This is not 100% correct and may lead to confusion. 

The pictured switch does not have a "batt-1" position. Its "ON" and connect both banks to their perspective loads. Its a dual pole switch one "turns on" both "batteries" at the same time. This is why its labeled as ON and not "1"

And both batteries can be run down if the switch is in the COMBINE position, just an FYI

This makes more sense based on what I was told about this option if you are saying what I think you are.  I looked this up in the manual and it does not seem to be documented there.

When in the "ON" position battery 1 is dedicated to the engine starting and battery 2 is connected to the radio and other non starting loads.  When the engine is running it charges either or both batteries as needed.  In this position the stereo can not run down the cranking battery.  If there is a problem with the cranking battery then you can "combine" them for more cranking amps.  And if you want to live dangerously you can use the combine position all the time and risk not cranking after a long floating jam session.

With the off/1/1+2/2 switch you can keep from running down but one of the batteries at a time but only the selected battery charges which can make keeping both batteries at full change a little tricky and requires changing the battery switch position as you change activities.  I would think that changing the battery selector switch on a running motor would be a bit risky unless the switch was designed so that there was always a battery connected during switching which may be the case.

I ordered battery option 3 on our boat understanding how it worked but never thought about how the switch would be labeled.

That's exactly why I always order Option 3. The only time I ever have to touch that switch is turning it to Off when puttiing the boat away and connecting the onboard charger. The relay will always insure I have a full starting battery if left on 1 (the way it was designed to work)

• 2 years later...

Hey all!  I just bought my used 2021 24 MXZ and it also has battery option 3.  My first fun experience as a boat owner has been low battery voltage.  I believe the current batteries were from the factory and made in 2020.  2x Optima Blue Top 34m 8006-006.  I've got a few questions before I buy some new batteries.

1.  I read that this note from the a website selling this battery - "Note: 34M is for starting only, and is not suited for running heavy DC loads; it provides high cranking capacity in a group 24/34 size case".  Based on this note, I'm lead to believe I don't want two of these batteries as replacements.  I want this one as the cranking battery and then maybe a D34m as the other to run electrical needs with the engine off.  I think the D in D34m is for dual purpose? Is my line of thinking correct??

2. If I buy 2 different batteries I'll need to figure out which set of battery wires in the battery compartment are for the cranking battery and which for the other.  What's the easiest way to figure this out?  The wires for the forward most battery had another electrical tie in (delphi) on them.

3.  Do all malibu's come with a battery charger? I've looked inside the carpeted battery wiring compartment and don't see a battery charger, but I've been told this may be on the wall with my stereo amps?

I've got pics I can post if that helps.

Thanks in advance for the help.  First time boat owner so I'm feeling like a complete newb here, but I absolutely love all the help in this forum.

Jason

I recommend a battery charger for all boats that you plug in at the end of the day. Most don't understand that when you go out and jam all day you have pulled the batteries down and they usually do not get topped off before you get back to the dock. Next time you start the boat you begin even lower, etc until you start getting low voltage alarms, random codes, etc.

• Like 3

If you are going to stay with an AGM battery, there are FAR better brands for the money. AGM's typically work as a cranking and house loads. What makes the 34m not work well for for hi loads? Its basically because that particular size and brand has a low Ah to group size v's other AGM and even wet cell lead acid. This is true across all their group sizes when compared to other brand's group sizes.

if your goal is to play the stereo for a long time at anchor, a group 34 or 24 may be too small in Ah for the job, regardless of brand or chemistry.  

If your low battery warning is with engine running, I suspect the ACR is not operating. This is a common issue and is usually due to the ground control wire not being connected to one of the batteries.  

if you want to be able to actually play you stereo with the key off for a long time you need to goto a 6 volt setup,i love to party and surf i surf all week party on the weekends have a 12000 watt stereo with 8 rev 10s 4 b2 audio 12s and 8 revo 8s ill tell u right mow 12 volt batterys will not hang no matter how many u have no matter if there group 24 or the group 31 big boys 12 volt batterys just cant handle voltage drops like a 6volt and 6volt float voltage is higher so you have more volts to play with i had 8 oddyesey 12 volt group 31s they would barley play 1 hour i took those out and got 4 full river group 27s 6 volt batteries wired in series and they can play for 6 hours no issues.i have been doing car audio for 20 years boats are a whole diffrent animal.

Screenshot_20231006_094828_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231006_094850_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231006_094930_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230322_140717_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Afastmotorider
1 hour ago, Afastmotorider said:

party on the weekends have a 120000 watt stereo with 8 rev 10s 4 b2 audio 12s and 8 revo 8s

:fingerwag:I think you have an extra 0 there on the watts :)

58 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

:fingerwag:I think you have an extra 0 there on the watts :)

HAHAH!!!very correct i was over compensating like always i fixed it thanks you

• Haha 1
On 10/6/2023 at 12:52 PM, Afastmotorider said:

if you want to be able to actually play you stereo with the key off for a long time you need to goto a 6 volt setup,i love to party and surf i surf all week party on the weekends have a 12000 watt stereo with 8 rev 10s 4 b2 audio 12s and 8 revo 8s ill tell u right mow 12 volt batterys will not hang no matter how many u have no matter if there group 24 or the group 31 big boys 12 volt batterys just cant handle voltage drops like a 6volt and 6volt float voltage is higher so you have more volts to play with i had 8 oddyesey 12 volt group 31s they would barley play 1 hour i took those out and got 4 full river group 27s 6 volt batteries wired in series and they can play for 6 hours no issues.i have been doing car audio for 20 years boats are a whole diffrent animal.

Screenshot_20231006_094828_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231006_094850_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231006_094930_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230322_140717_Gallery.jpg

Nice setup. Personally I'd go with LiFePo4 batteries now. Price has came down and they are GREAT!

Good deal on 100AH batteries now:

Single, highly rated

214.99 after you click the coupon:

https://amzn.to/3Q7WC6n

Multi packs even cheaper, 212.85 for 2, 212.84 for 3:

https://amzn.to/3QamUoS

Calculate the AH you currently have and you can cut it with lithiums by1/3.

Depending on your max amp dray you might want to go with the larger batteries which have 200amps or more of continuous draw.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
16 minutes ago, MLA said:

Not if he's running BOSS or Rockville amps :rofl:

TRUTH!!!  HAAAA.  What is really funny about that is the fact they will have a "2,000 Watt Rockville or Boss amp" with 30 amp inline fuse :lol: