Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much ballast needed to surf on 2005 21 foot V-ride

Bahamashead

Hi there,

I am new to the group.  Just picked up a used malibu and wondering how much ballast is needed for surfing.  It has 500 stock in the center and looking to add lockers and bow 

has anybody recently done this? 

thanks! 

new member here.  Just bought a 2005 Vride (21 ft.)  How much ballast is needed in rear lockers to add to the stock 500 in the center? 300 lbs in bow?

Anyone recently done this? 

thanks so much  

I have a 2006 21 Vride;

Rear: 750lbs each (need to be very full, you will want to re-enforce the panels (or c channels) in the rear.)
Bow: 500lb bag in bow walkway (rarely, this is not plumbed in and not required for a decent pocket)
Center MLS: Full.
Crew: 220lb minimum, ~600lb normal
Wakeshaper; Cheap Ebay Suckgate.
Me: 220lb surfer, on a 5'4 broadcast. 

Others suggest more lead or weight in the bow, but as you see from above, I rarely run the bow walkway full

Going up to a 5'4 board was most important The 4'10 I could go ropeless much less.

Edited by smileysteve