Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat turning over broken ignition switch

Recently the ignition/key was twisted past normal starting position by the kids and it broke. I was able to get it start another time and get back to the dock. 

I got the boat to shut off but the ignition was shot (21 year old boat). While testing the key the boat was attempting to turn over when the key was free spinning. The older battery was dying and I shut off the battery switch since the key wouldn’t stop the starter was trying to turn over.  

I replaced the key/ignition switch and batteries are charged. If I turn the perko switch to either battery or all the starter starts to turn over. The new ignition doesn’t make a difference.  

Any thoughts?

Boat: 2000 Sunsetter VLX with 325 motor. 

7 minutes ago, formulaben said:

My guess is the new switch was wired incorrectly.

Ignition-Switch-Terminal.jpg

I was thinking that could be a possibility but since was trying to start when the old switch was still in there so it’s turning over with both the old and new one. And I matched the same wiring taking one wire at a time. But will double check in the morning. But it may not be the cause. 

Edited by MalibuV7
3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Could just be a starter solenoid that failed closed if the old switch and new switch are doing same thing.

I know starter solenoid needs replacing. It was starting to go over the winter but was still working. This was one area I thinking have been at issue from the old key trying to turn it over with the broken ignition? 

I have done much work with starter solenoids yet so I wasn’t sure if this could be the cause. 

After doing some reading looks like it may be the solenoid being stuck in the closed position from the starting issues and low battery. The solenoid was original I believe and needed replacing anyways so it’s a good start. 

Anyone have the part number or link for starter solenoid - 2000 indmar motor?

3 minutes ago, MalibuV7 said:

After doing some reading looks like it may be the solenoid being stuck in the closed position from the starting issues and low battery. The solenoid was original I believe and needed replacing anyways so it’s a good start. 

Anyone have the part number or link for starter solenoid - 2000 indmar motor?

Just replace the whole starter. 

https://www.dbelectrical.com/search-results/?search_query_adv=Marine+starter+gm+5.7

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close the loop on this one. I replaced the starter and it is good to go. The solenoid was stuck causing the starter to turn over whenever it had power (regardless of the key position). New starter in place and it turns over correctly now. 

Edited by MalibuV7
  • Like 3

I just had the exact same situation with my boat last weekend, so I'll explain to help anyone that might have these symptoms.

At the end of last season it seemed like my batteries didn't have enough power and the engine would struggle to turn over, but it always started.  I figured I needed new batteries for this spring which was on my list.

Last weekend, I tried to start my boat for the first time and it wouldn't turn over, not even a click.  The batteries were on trickle chargers all winter, so I assumed I should have enough juice to start for the first time.

I came back to diagnose, this time when I turned on my battery switch, the starter engaged even though the key was off.  I was hopeful as I thought it was just a bad ignition switch and those are cheap.  I replace the ignition and still the same issue with the starter engaging when I turned on the battery switch.  Looking back I should have tested the connections with a multimeter, but I was too excited by the quick and easy fix.

Now I realized the starter was bad and replaced it.  Luckily the local shop had the marine starter I needed in stock and I was able to replace it.   

Everything now starts up as it should and I realized my batteries are fine and don't need replaced.