Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu - why are there no replacement parts?

I have a 2015 Axis/Malibu

my surf gate was messing up so I attempted to remove the surf gate relay (or whatever it’s called) and in the process managed to break it. I got mad at my self and ended up throwing it away. I could kick myself for many reasons...

Now my issue is with Malibu... I have reviewed the manual multiple times and have found no mention of the surf gate. How the hell am I supposed to order a part for something that’s not even referenced in the manual? 

I’ve contacted Malibu to the point that they will no longer respond back to me. So now, I’m making waves. According to Malibu they don’t make a replacement part for the surf gate relay... insert angry face. So now I have this massive paperweight sitting in my driveway.

Does anyone have a way of finding out more info about the surf gate system or how I could find a part number?

Typically you would order a part from your dealer.  Where does a "surfgate relay" live in the boat, and what prompted you to remove and throw it away?

And what boat exactly do you have?

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

the relay housing is a part of and wired to the surfgate harness that plugs into the surfgate control box,  the guts of that relay  housing, the actual relay , can be found at any dealer who sells electric or hydraulic tab actuators from lenco,  they also can be found at some automotive parts places but i found mine at  a marine boat dealer that did not sell inboards 

take a picture of your relay housing snd maybe its the same as mine snd post it

Edited by granddaddy55

I agree, contact your dealer or is this it?

https://inboardpartshq.com/products/4-pack-module-surf-gate-relay-rev1-2016-axis

Malibu doesn’t make the relays. They will source them from another supplier. I’m sure they supply replacement parts to the dealers but you don’t buy through Malibu, it would be through your local dealer. Also with covid... there are shortages on all materials. Electronics being a major one. Just to keep in mind. 

On 2/24/2021 at 5:52 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

I agree, contact your dealer or is this it?

https://inboardpartshq.com/products/4-pack-module-surf-gate-relay-rev1-2016-axis

Malibu doesn’t make the relays. They will source them from another supplier. I’m sure they supply replacement parts to the dealers but you don’t buy through Malibu, it would be through your local dealer. Also with covid... there are shortages on all materials. Electronics being a major one. Just to keep in mind. 

I should have stated, I have obviously attempted contacting the dealer and Malibu first and have just hit dead ends. Malibu has no way of getting the part. No, that is for a 2016 and my boat is a T22 2015 and my part looks more chrome.

10 hours ago, WtdhMalibu said:

I should have stated, I have obviously attempted contacting the dealer and Malibu first and have just hit dead ends. Malibu has no way of getting the part. No, that is for a 2016 and my boat is a T22 2015 and my part looks more chrome.

There is a major global chip shortage that is impacting nearly every electronic in the world. Did they give you a reason why they can’t get it? Are you trying to just buy a small portion of the wiring harness? You maybe have to buy the whole wiring harness as Gary linked above but it’s had to say with the detail you’ve given. Can you post pictures of the other surf gate relay?

On 2/25/2021 at 7:20 PM, justgary said:

thats it with relay housing integrated to harness , he didnt throw away the housing,  that relay is easy to get at any boat dealer that sellsvor services boats with actuators on it , @WtdhMalibu this is not a big problem, just go get it!!!! 

Edited by granddaddy55
42 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

thats it with relay housing integrated to harness , he didnt throw away the housing,  that relay is easy to get at any boat dealer that sellsvor services boats with actuators on it , @WtdhMalibu this is not a big problem, just go get it!!!! 

Indeed.  If you want to have some real fun while scratching that surplus electronics itch, browse the whole catalog at All Electronics in Van Nuys, CA and get a whole crate of stuff sent to you.  I wind up buying too much whenever I start browsing.

Or just get the relay for $2.25 without all the dangerous browsing:

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/rly-351/12vdc-spdt-40a-automotive-relay/1.html

Heck, get a few sockets too for $2.25:

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/srly-2/socket-for-automotive-relay/1.html

And of course, you could obviously just walk into your local auto parts store and buy one (just like you said).