Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Repair rear seat skin

I have a rear Seat skin on my 01 vlx that is starting to pull thin and apart where the vinyl Sections are sewn to the piping. I used to sew on a previous boat In the area where two color vinyl was sewn together with thick thread or fishing line. There wasn’t any piping in that area though. Has anyone ever re sewn that area with piping on their boat in order to keep from re skinning the seat? How did it go? What thread do you use? 

• 2 months later...

willieon I am actually approaching this tonight. I had found some results through research online for a process to repair seams that is the following, which all my products are coming in today. The gentlemen I saw who followed this process has had the seats hold up for a few seasons & you cant see the busted seams. 

If all is good and not a complete fail, I'll have a video and write-up posted on this. 

1. Undo staples on skin and peel it back to the busted seam near piping.
  2. Use HH-66 and some same colored vinyl pieces underneath the skin to bring the busted seam together. 
  3. repull skin back over seat and use SS staples to reapply skin. 
  4. use HH-66 with very thin amount and apply to top part of the seam to help reinforce the fix. 

The foam being soft is the killer here. My goal is to help stiffen that up when i have the skin pulled back already, so the seam doesn't just get torn apart again. II know that I will need all 3 new skins on my rear seats and probably do a full boat job, just trying to get by after last weekend a few of my "ballast friends" took a small separation into a large gash. Wave was sick though! :surfing: