Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Salt water bad?

SeanWeathers3

SeanWeathers3

I am looking to buy a VLX that was run in mostly brackish water a handful of times mostly fresh water ...can someone help me understand the risk of buying a boat that has been run in anything other than fresh water? 

this boat also happened to have the “saltwater engine system “ 

help!

As I have one; salt air and water accelerates the wear on the metals (the emblems, the racks, the dash, the motor mounts). You'll also want to look more closely at the strut.

By the salt water package, it most likely means a closed loop cooling system; this makes it less likely the salt has corroded the engine internals.

Mine has been fine, it was in Tampa from 2006 to 2015, I bought in middle Al in 2018. I've taken off or eplaced the emblems and dash, new racks, spray treated rust on motor mounts, and replaced the anodes.

The due diligence I took was a compression test and a mechanic lookover (and tune-up).  Along with 2 test drives.

My '70 Winner has spent the last 51 years in salt water. Other than the two emblems on the rear gunnel coming off and replacing the original flimsy trailer axle, I can honestly say that salt water has had no effect on the boat, motor, or trailer. I do wash, rinse, and flush after every salt use. The boat also vacationed every summer for at least 2 weeks in fresh water till 2002, and from 2011 till today spends the spring and fall in a lake. There is a  "pic of my boat on the water" in the general discussion section, posted on Feb 28, 2016. Well over 4000 hrs on boat now. Winner was the first 100% fiberglass boat.

23 hours ago, SeanWeathers3 said:

I am looking to buy a VLX that was run in mostly brackish water a handful of times mostly fresh water ...can someone help me understand the risk of buying a boat that has been run in anything other than fresh water? 

this boat also happened to have the “saltwater engine system “ 

help!

run in mostly brackish water a handful of times  - translation: used almost exclusively in salt water

Otherwise, why purchase the saltwater package?

As others have written, even if it is a sw boat, proper preventive maintenance could mitigate the effects.    

I agree that maintenance is everything.  Here is my 1999 Monsoon that I bought in 2013 from someone who had run it in "brackish water a handful of times."  I have used the boat since then about 99% of the time in salt (well, only brackish, of course) water.  I added a closed cooling kit and keep spray oil on all parts of the engine and mounts (except the belts and pulleys).  Everything gets flushed and washed with a salt-away type product after every use, and it then gets air dried under a fan in the garage.  I am due for new manifolds, which are salt water cooled; I'm looking for stainless that won't break the bank and is 100% stainless.

This salt engine looks a lot better than about 95% of the fresh water boats I see.

spacer.png

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, John I. said:

run in mostly brackish water a handful of times  - translation: used almost exclusively in salt water

Otherwise, why purchase the saltwater package?

As others have written, even if it is a sw boat, proper preventive maintenance could mitigate the effects.    

i purchased a painted galvanized tandem boatmate with my ordered boat which is your biggest concern in our brack estuary 

actually what that can mean is your estuary was  mostly fresh the vast majority of the time .  in Louisiana our rivers and their associated tidal  basin lakes are mostly fresh( though classified as brack because of a lack of significant tropical storms made even more so by the consistent recent openings of our Mississippi river Bonnet Carre Spillway) 

when i wipe down the boat with water we are in there is no film on interior or hull 

last year changed that (but really only significantly from the October storm, the last of 6) as our coast got our much needed infusion of salt which cleans our dark water to pretty green.  only my November and December outings left a film on hull after wipe down necessitating some fresh water rinse at home

This year early spring before all the fresh water flows/melts down the mississippi  basin i plan to bring a garden sprayer to spray the boat before  i wipe it down.  after the melt snd any spillway  opening occur we will be mostly fresh again 

my friend tested the spillway we ride in before and after the recent openings and got almost pure fresh, the spillway when closed is the same water as our main lake

we def do not have salty coastal air as well because of the effect of river on the Gulf surrounding our estuary

therefore “i run in brack but I’m in fresh water mostly”.  just like the seller

Edited by granddaddy55