Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

using 2020 22lsv ballast tank to rinse off boat??

EricLsv

Can i fill a front ballast tank on my 2020 22lsv with fresh water at home and use it to rinse my boat off after using it in salt water? I'm wondering if this is possible/practical id much rather rinse off my boat at the ramp than after driving it home.

I don't think you'll want to trailer with the ballast full, it could mess with the trailer balance and tongue weight. On top of the weight issue, you're going to have a challenge with filling and emptying the tank. You'll need to come up with some creative fittings in order to attach a hose for rinsing, and the pressure is going to be low compared to a tap.

If you really want to go down this path I'd have to suggest replacing the aerator pumps with an impeller pump, and then possibly use the aerator output as a fresh inlet, keeping the existing vent line. I'm starting to sketch this out on a notepad on my desk, but I need to get back to the presentation I'm supposed to be paying attention to. You might want to check out wakegarage.com to see if anyone has done something similar.

@EricLsv the tanks do exchange water with the lake/ocean the way they are plumbed.  

As @mikeo was pointing out, it will take some actual replumbing to make it possible, and depending what you tow with, really may nit like how it would affect the trailer balance. Just not sure it's worth the trouble if you were going to fill the tank before you left home.

I would recomended against it, much less work to rinse off at the ramp, and flush the engine at home.

Rather than messing with the boats ballast and if you really want to wash down at the ramp I would just put a small portable bag in the back of your truck with an extended hose. Or just the rinse kit mentioned above. 

thank you everyone for you input! i agree, re plumbing the ballast tank would be too much work, ect. i'm going to continue to try to find a suitable solution, looking high and low for something with enough water/ power to get the job done 100%. if im not able to really wash the boat down 100% and flush the motor so it is in a totally g2g state when i go home i dont think its worth it. i will reply again with my findings or lack thereof 

Brandonloos21

If I were you I’d throw a small water Buffalo in the back of your truck (if that’s what you tow with) 

1 hour ago, Brandonloos21 said:

If I were you I’d throw a small water Buffalo in the back of your truck (if that’s what you tow with) 

im kinda limited with the boot of my Q8 BUT i have a plan, i have found several ~25gallon tanks with 12V sprayers attached for use in agriculture. i would love to stow it in the boat in some storage area and repipe the engine flush line from the transom to instead right into this water tank. then just keep it full before departing, when i finish up i can flush the engine and wash down the boat. I have to wait until i pick the boat up in a month or so before ill know the exact dimensions so i can attempt this

• Like 1
23 hours ago, asnowman said:

Did you order it with the salt water package?

i dont think so, i bought it new but its last years model. i havent seen anything on the papers about salt water package. do you have any suggestions for upgrading the grounding system or zinc?

1 hour ago, EricLsv said:

i dont think so, i bought it new but its last years model. i havent seen anything on the papers about salt water package. do you have any suggestions for upgrading the grounding system or zinc?

Sorry, i don't have any guidance for you there.  What i do know is you will need to clean the trailer as much/ more than the boat (except the cooling system flush). The salt stays inside the trailer frame and eats it from inside within a couple years.  Last boat i had in the ocean we changed the zincs 2x a year, but did not take that boat out of the water except for annual bottom painting.