Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Handling issue

I have a 2108 25lsv.   At the start of last summer I noticed a handling issue I had not noticed before but could be wrong.  However when I hit speeds over 30mph the boat does not track well.  The steering feels loose or the tail end seems to sway back and forth if that makes sense.  If I put the boat into a slight turn it seems to track fine.   I have discussed with the dealer and they claim that with some of the surf props the boat can be squirrely at high speed.

Anyone else having this issue?

Your rudder tab could be loose or out of adjustment.  The tab should be adjusted so that the wheel pulls to the right slightly.  If you have it set to track straight, the rudder will "hunt" at higher speeds.

• Like 3

I will check that out.  Being in MN my boat is in storage right now.  But if I remember correctly I think it is set to track straight because I don't recall it pulling in one direction.

Also check to see if there is any slop in the steering.  Have someone climb into the rear compartment with the wall removed - hold onto the rudder arm and have someone move the wheel back and forth a little.  If the clamp that holds the end of the rudder cable jacket to the bottom of the boat has come loose that could cause some slop too.

You may find that if the through bolts that hold the steering tube bracket to the stringer on the starboard side are loose that it will allow excessive movement in the steering and cause poor handling.  A loose steering cable nut and loose or worn fasteners on the rudder or helm could cause similar problems.

Edited by csleaver
  • 2 weeks later...

So just got my boat out of storage.  The rudder tab is in fact loose.  So swings freely.  I am going to tighten it down and will see if that improves the handling

Thanks

• Like 3