Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which would you choose?

vaporbluebu

I'm in the market for a new truck and am stuck between two. Which would you choose?

2020 New F-150 XLT FX4 with the Sport Appearance package

or

2018 F-150 Lariat Sport with 20k miles

Both are priced almost exactly the same, both have the 3.5 eco boost, and 3.55 rear end so towing capacity is the same. The 2020 is about $9k off of sticker price and 2018 is about $15k off its sticker price. Would go used with more luxury option but with the miles (still has about 6 months left of the 3/36 warranty and of course the 5/60 powertrain) or take a new one that you know the history of. Still nicely equipped but it's no Lariat.  Thanks (and please don't turn this into a "you need a diesel" thread...it's not going to happen.)

Is the 2018 a 4x4?  Is one of them more appealing to you (color, etc.)?

I had a temporary itch a few months ago when I drove past the used truck dealer and a 2019 F150 caught my eye.  I started looking at new and used prices, then decided that the 2019 was priced to move.  I called the guy two days after I saw it and he had sold it.  I looked at prices for a few more weeks, then decided that my 2005 model is still fine. 

6 minutes ago, justgary said:

Is the 2018 a 4x4?  Is one of them more appealing to you (color, etc.)?

I had a temporary itch a few months ago when I drove past the used truck dealer and a 2019 F150 caught my eye.  I started looking at new and used prices, then decided that the 2019 was priced to move.  I called the guy two days after I saw it and he had sold it.  I looked at prices for a few more weeks, then decided that my 2005 model is still fine. 

Both are 4x4, both are Silver. Yeah, they move fast. I need to make a decision tonight. I’ve been in the market for almost a year, hoping prices would come down, but no luck and I have to replace my car. It’s on its last leg!

Does the Xlt have the 302A with sync 3 and all the goodies, I'm guessing just maybe not leather? They both have the same rear end but do they both have heavy duty payload and max tow? 

Personally for the same price I would go with the new one just for warranty and 2 years newer. Not sure how you are paying but traditionally new gets better finance and lease rates. 

Or another way to look at it if you don't plan on keeping it long the used one has already had initial hit in value. 

I think both still had the 10 speed as it was introduced in late 2017 (I think).  That's a huge upgrade.  Personally I'd go new, but there are lots of options differences so you would have to see what you like/want .. push button start, heated/vented seats, pano roof, etc..  Ecoboost is a great engine but you will most like encounter IWE issues and phasers so warranty is the way to go for the same money.  Either way .. buy an extended at https://www.floodfordesp.com/  crazy cheap.  You can even get it on the used one up until 3y/36k.

8 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Does the Xlt have the 302A with sync 3 and all the goodies, I'm guessing just maybe not leather? They both have the same rear end but do they both have heavy duty payload and max tow? 

Personally for the same price I would go with the new one just for warranty and 2 years newer. Not sure how you are paying but traditionally new gets better finance and lease rates. 

Or another way to look at it if you don't plan on keeping it long the used one has already had initial hit in value. 

Yes, 302A, and both have Max Tow package/heavy duty

Will they put the f250 mirrors on either one for free?  I am considering a 250 just to get the mirrors.  Just kidding on that, but I have them on my F150 and they are really great. 

2 hours ago, justgary said:

Will they put the f250 mirrors on either one for free?  I am considering a 250 just to get the mirrors.  Just kidding on that, but I have them on my F150 and they are really great. 

You can get the f150 with tow mirrors. Thats what I have, wouldn't have it any other way. 

11 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

You can get the f150 with tow mirrors. Thats what I have, wouldn't have it any other way. 

I put the chinese tow mirrors on my 14 and they've been pretty good.  Once you get used to the wide angle lens it's hard to go back.

4 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I put the chinese tow mirrors on my 14 and they've been pretty good.  Once you get used to the wide angle lens it's hard to go back.

I bought OEM mirrors online from a Ford dealer who figured out that they could boost sales by discounting online.  As I recall, it was less than $250 for the pair, shipped.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

Ended up going with the Lariat. Found a great deal on a different one. It was $3k less than other Lariat and XLT I had been looking at with more options. It had the 502A, FX4, without a scratch and a $1k tonneau cover already installed. The salesman said he was the one who took it in on trade and it came from a single older gentleman and he didn’t think the back seat had ever been sat in. It is immaculate. I still looked at the XLT and while it was nice, it just didn’t compare.

Had to fly to OKC to get it and are a little more than halfway home with it now. It’s been a fun road trip with my son who is a freshman in college.

Nice.  Our Expedition is the first vehicle I have purchased that wasn't one of the highest trim levels.  It is my wife's DD, and she doesn't use the features it has.  That said, I don't think I would buy that trim again.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vaporbluebu said:

Got it home Sunday night. 18 hours 37 minutes and 1201 miles. Averaged exactly 18.0 mpg which I was happy with considering the first day we were pushing a 40 mph head wind and we started at 1100’ ended at 5500’ with 2-3 8000’ mountain passes to get through.

0DBF3B7D-0196-4F89-B47F-8E16C798C2D1.jpeg

Nice truck!  Do yourself a favor and replace the shocks.  I put Bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear and ride height adjustable struts in the front.  The ride height adjustable struts use your stock spring, but replace the damper.  It really improved the handling tremendously.  The truck is more planted, has less body roll, and is overall more confident.  This change does make the typical F-150 ride a little less plush, but it's a serious improvement over factory.  I replaced my factory shocks at 5,000 miles and was surprised at how weak they are.  Another added benefit to that is you can raise the front end a bit and make it a little more level if that's your thing.  Otherwise, it's worth the improvement.  

• Like 1
On 2/25/2021 at 2:57 PM, Slayer said:

Nice truck!  Do yourself a favor and replace the shocks.  I put Bilstein 5100 shocks in the rear and ride height adjustable struts in the front.  The ride height adjustable struts use your stock spring, but replace the damper.  It really improved the handling tremendously.  The truck is more planted, has less body roll, and is overall more confident.  This change does make the typical F-150 ride a little less plush, but it's a serious improvement over factory.  I replaced my factory shocks at 5,000 miles and was surprised at how weak they are.  Another added benefit to that is you can raise the front end a bit and make it a little more level if that's your thing.  Otherwise, it's worth the improvement.  

Agree with this^^^. My truck came leveled with Fox 2.0 on all 4 corners. Makes a big difference. I’ve since added air bags to gain back rake for towing. Does nothing for proper weight distribution but does help the ride quality a lot. 

On 2/27/2021 at 8:46 PM, german88 said:

Agree with this^^^. My truck came leveled with Fox 2.0 on all 4 corners. Makes a big difference. I’ve since added air bags to gain back rake for towing. Does nothing for proper weight distribution but does help the ride quality a lot. 

Another huge benefit with the fox's are they a rebuildable.

I rebuilt mine at 60k and was shocked at how nasty the fluid was by then, 

On 2/27/2021 at 9:46 PM, german88 said:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for towing, if anything.  I have the Bilsein set to 2" in the front and I sill have nearly an inch of rake.  But, I have a 6.5' box and @vaporbluebu has the 5.5' box.  There is a difference in rake from my experience having all 5.5' beds on all my last F150's.  I'm waiting to see what happens when we hook up to the new boat.  Our '17 22VLX caused the back side to sag a bit, but I have Timbren SES on it and that's a tremendous benefit.

11 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

I considered the Fox shocks for that very reason.  I opted not to spend that money as I usually don't keep my trucks past 60k miles.  

49 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

Exactly!  Just did one of my rears last month due to a leak at 70K miles.  Fluid came out pretty dirty and quite aerated.   I rebuild motorcycle shocks on a regular basis so I have a nitro recharge setup.  The rebuild kits are cheap and it takes me longer to uninstall & reinstall than it does to rebuild one. 

On a side note my factory shocks had less than 5K miles and 2 out of 3 were useless.  Shaft would only rebound 1/2 way... 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, german88 said:

Exactly!  Just did one of my rears last month due to a leak at 70K miles.  Fluid came out pretty dirty and quite aerated.   I rebuild motorcycle shocks on a regular basis so I have a nitro recharge setup.  The rebuild kits are cheap and it takes me longer to uninstall & reinstall than it does to rebuild one. 

On a side note my factory shocks had less than 5K miles and 2 out of 3 were useless.  Shaft would only rebound 1/2 way... 

Same here!  I thought it was amazing how crappy they are.  And, they just seem super cheap and flimsy.  Such a joke. 

• Like 1