Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 Wakesetter 247 LSV Impeller Change

peterbarnhart

2nd season to have this and was going to replace the impeller this weekend but when I went to get in there I was shocked at how hard it was to get to.   Looks like I have to remove exhaust pipes to get to it, is that correct?  Any videos on that specific impeller change.   I searched but couldnt find it.

Peter

No reason to remove exhaust.  I'd assume it is laid out like my VTX - where you have to reach past the muffler to get at it.  It's a little easier to go from the side while sitting in one of the side compartments.  I'm right handed so I do it from the left side compartment.  Make sure you rotate the engine a little before getting started to help break the impeller loose from the pump if it has been sitting all winter.  I like to remove the impeller cover, squirt a little dish soap in and then use a wrench on one of the crank pulley bolts to turn the engine a little.  After that they come out pretty easy with a right angle needle nose

i was in the port locker the other day putting hoses back on after cold weather is gone.   You definitely get a better look at it from there but removing bolts for cover and removing impeller itself will be almost all by feel.  Is this the same for yours?  On mine you wont be able to see the inside of the compartment at all.   I had a Centurion enzo for 10 years and thought that one was tough but this looks much more difficult. 

If you have a minute to maybe talk me through it, might save some time.   Thinking I will do a video and post to the forum.

Edited by peterbarnhart
48 minutes ago, peterbarnhart said:

i was in the port locker the other day putting hoses back on after cold weather is gone.   You definitely get a better look at it from there but removing bolts for cover and removing impeller itself will be almost all by feel.  Is this the same for yours?  On mine you wont be able to see the inside of the compartment at all.   I had a Centurion enzo for 10 years and thought that one was tough but this looks much more difficult. 

If you have a minute to maybe talk me through it, might save some time.   Thinking I will do a video and post to the forum.

Peter - xxxxxxxxxx

Yup, removing the bolts is mostly by feel - and make sure you don't drop them.  I dropped one during my first impeller change and never found it - so now I have a bag with a few spares in it.

I would immediately remove your phone number from the forum so you don't wind up on a million robo call lists

Edited by oldjeep

Would you reccomend the puller so many talk about on Bakes.   FOr $50 if it makes it super simple I am game.

1 minute ago, peterbarnhart said:

Would you reccomend the puller so many talk about on Bakes.   FOr $50 if it makes it super simple I am game.

I've never used one, but a lot of people swear by them.  I haven't ever had an issue just pulling them out with a pliers - I never reuse one after I pull it out so I don't care what the pliers does to it.

Kojak,  on the 2015 247 when you pull the trays you cant see the pump at all.   Think there is a bit more room on the 23LSV.    Love my malibu but wow this is a horrilbe design!.

Didn’t I read that there isn’t enough room for the puller on some boats? I know on my vlx it would be super tight. I use the old two paint can opener method to get mine out. Works well, and free. 👍

22 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I like to remove the impeller cover, squirt a little dish soap in and then use a wrench on one of the crank pulley bolts to turn the engine a little.  After that they come out pretty easy with a right angle needle nose

You can also remove the safety lanyard and bump the starter a few times to get the impeller to walk out just a bit before you grab it with pliers.

Just now, justgary said:

You can also remove the safety lanyard and bump the starter a few times to get the impeller to walk out just a bit before you grab it with pliers.

I don't know if that works or not with the touch screen start boats - never tried it.

Just now, oldjeep said:

I don't know if that works or not with the touch screen start boats - never tried it.

Good point.  Something for in interested party to experiment with, I suppose. 

26 minutes ago, justgary said:

Good point.  Something for in interested party to experiment with, I suppose. 

Maybe I'll give it a try if I remember.  Planning to replace my impeller before spring since it has been in there for 3 seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 9:45 AM, oldjeep said:

Maybe I'll give it a try if I remember.  Planning to replace my impeller before spring since it has been in there for 3 seasons.

Fwiw, the start button on the touchscreen doesn't work when the lanyard switch is off.  The 3 season old impeller looked fine, but there is a new one in there now.

I have a 2012 247. With the rear trays out I can just see about half of the pump. The rest is done by feel. No issues getting my impeller out with pliers. Hardest part was finding the brass bolt I dropped in the bilge.