Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Patiently waiting...,

zhuskers1

I ordered a new 23 LSV on November 13th and was told by my dealer today that my build date is now May 12th.   I understand and appreciate the production issues caused by circumstance outside of Malibu's control.

Edited by zhuskers1
Updated perspective

Since when is life fair?  And there is more to spray dates than dealer size.  Heck, Malibu has unceremoniously dumped some of its best dealers so size does not matter (that's what she said! ;)  ).  Lots of factors go into the spray date.  Frankly, given the situation you should be happy you are getting a boat in May.  I suspect some will not see theirs until July.  Or later.

17 minutes ago, zhuskers1 said:

The CUSTOMER is the BOAT OWNER and not the dealer.

It may seem like it should be that, but the dealer is ultimately malibu's customer.  Ordering several truck loads of boats going to the same place is logistically easier to satisfy than dropping a boat here, then another one 300 miles away, then another one, etc.

And it could be worse.  You could be talking about health care, where the patient is definitely not the customer. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
ahopkins22LSV

It does depend on dealer for build slots. And greatly. A big volume dealer is going to have more build slots than a small volume dealer. Also build slots have essentially been sold out since last summer so orders are more and more in the future as demand sores. Even in a normal year dealers only have so many build slots and it depends on the dealer. It may just not be as evident to the customer because the dealer may just swap one of their stock orders to get the customer built sooner. This year there is no option for that. They are all customer orders. Because of this you really can’t judge based on others people’s statuses and orders. I might be able to go order a Repsonse right now and get a 2-3 month turn around but a 23 lsv will probably be 5-7 months. Or more. It doesn’t sound like your original estimate has slipped so stay true tot he dealer and keep asking for updates. 

Id bet the people you are seeing get 3-4 month turn arounds, the dealer is putting first not Malibu. Meaning somehow the dealer had a stock build slot left and swapped their stock boat for a customer order. If that isn’t an option that’s when you are seeing the longer lead times. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It does depend on dealer for build slots. And greatly. A big volume dealer is going to have more build slots than a small volume dealer. Also build slots have essentially been sold out since last summer so orders are more and more in the future as demand sores. Even in a normal year dealers only have so many build slots and it depends on the dealer. It may just not be as evident to the customer because the dealer may just swap one of their stock orders to get the customer built sooner. This year there is no option for that. They are all customer orders. Because of this you really can’t judge based on others people’s statuses and orders. I might be able to go order a Repsonse right now and get a 2-3 month turn around but a 23 lsv will probably be 5-7 months. Or more. It doesn’t sound like your original estimate has slipped so stay true tot he dealer and keep asking for updates. 

Id bet the people you are seeing get 3-4 month turn arounds, the dealer is putting first not Malibu. Meaning somehow the dealer had a stock build slot left and swapped their stock boat for a customer order. If that isn’t an option that’s when you are seeing the longer lead times. 

Thank you for your thoughtful response.  I was also told by my dealer today that Malibu is no longer building dealer allocations (slots) - only custom orders Thanks again!

Edited by zhuskers1
27 minutes ago, justgary said:

Ordering several truck loads of boats going to the same place is logistically easier to satisfy than dropping a boat here, then another one 300 miles away, then another one, etc.

Since dealers, and ultimately the boat buyer, pay for the freight, how is this a build slot issue? 

15 minutes ago, zhuskers1 said:

Thank you for your thoughtful response.  I was also told by my dealer today that Malibu is no longer building dealer allocations (slots) - only custom orders.....which is fueling part of my dismay....since I ordered in November.  Thanks again!

I feel for you folks that are waiting. I'm sure Malibu and the dealers would like nothing more than to get you out on the water. 

Steve B.

ahopkins22LSV
16 minutes ago, zhuskers1 said:

Thank you for your thoughtful response.  I was also told by my dealer today that Malibu is no longer building dealer allocations (slots) - only custom orders.....which is fueling part of my dismay....since I ordered in November.  Thanks again!

From what you’ve said, it sounds like your dealer has been upfront and honest with you with timing so I’d honestly be thankful. Some sound like they over sold and are now back pedaling. Just like comparing prices, someone always got a better deal than you when comparing online. 

21 minutes ago, MLA said:

Since dealers, and ultimately the boat buyer, pay for the freight, how is this a build slot issue? 

If I could send a truck full of boats to one dealer and get the truck back promptly, I would do it first before I sent a truck to drop boats one at a time.  Each time they skip to another dealer they lose a day, since the driver generally has to wait for the dealer to open and everybody rig to unload the truck. 

Which is better to clear backlog: turn a truckload and get the truck back in a few days, or two weeks?  I'm not saying they for sure do this, but it is worth their while to attempt to optimize every part of build and delivery. 

10 minutes ago, MLA said:

I know my dealer told me that once the boat was built it could sit at the factory for a week or two until there were enough boats coming to them for a delivery.  Pilling up inventory like that takes space and presumably hurts the factory cash flow.  If they did not pay any attention to where the boats were going they could end up with elevated shipping and/or finished inventory costs.  I know a couple of people who are involved in logistics planning.  The number of variables that are tracked and managed in a well managed supply chain are staggering, the idea that they would try to manage builds to match shipping would be low hanging fruit in that world.  My first reaction to things like this is that the manufacturer is just making more money at my expense (making me wait for delivery to reduce shipping costs) but in truth is they are going to make theirs or raise the price so they do as long as the market will support it.  So in the long term I as a customer do benefit from this kind of cost management.  

• Like 2

There is a lot more that go into build slots and production dates than the chronological time the order is placed.   Each model has a different set of molds and things run down a line in the most efficient way they can structure it.  If five of the same models get ordered in a row chronologically, they don't build five of the same model in a row just because the orders came in that way chronologically and leave a bunch of other empty molds sitting around idle.   It just does not work like that at any manufacturer I am aware of.  And because the world is upside down and crazy there could be any number of different supplier forces at work that also impact build dates.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, zhuskers1 said:

I have been a life long loyal advocate of Malibu Boats.   If true, what is happening now saddens me.   I have had many Malibu Boats and have always been treated with dignity and respect.   It looks like things have changed.....  

I ordered a new 23 LSV on November 13th and was told by my dealer today that my build date is now May 12th.   I understand and appreciate the production issues caused by circumstance outside of Malibu's control - that's not the issue.  The issue is that Malibu appears to value certain customers more than others.   Based on posts on this forum and on Malibu Owners FB page, there are many other clients who ordered their boats after my order date and their boats are sprayed or scheduled.  When I asked my dealer (by the way who is an amazing person and business person) about this, he said that could happen based on dealer size.   In a normal year when production capacity is equal to or greater than demand...who cares.   But when you get into a situation like we are in today.....that system does not work...   The CUSTOMER is the BOAT OWNER and not the dealer.   I ordered early so I could avoid this situation....I guess my order fell into the "less important" customer bucket.

Certainly sympathize with your frustration.  I think that what is going on is a more complicated mix than any of us have a full grasp of since what is know is driven by what what Dealers share which is a mix of fact and self serving narrative. From what I have read in the last few weeks GM is looking at a production drop across its lines estimated at 212k units this year due to computer chip shortages.  I don't think we should take personally the delivery date issues from Malibu given that GM logistics is missing its marks.  The combination of volume and supply issues both being atypical is showing weaknesses that got covered up in more normal times.  Chin up and good luck!

6 minutes ago, Surf4FamFun said:

From what I have read in the last few weeks GM is looking at a production drop across its lines estimated at 212k units this year due to computer chip shortages.  

Even worse.  Your Brand-New 2021 GM Pickup Lost 1 MPG Due to the Global Computer Chip Shortage. If you buy a new Chevy or GMC pickup truck this year, it could end up costing you a bit extra at the gas pump. Certain 2021 model-year GM pickup trucks are being built and sold without a computer module that increases fuel economy.

You and I have the same dealer. I ordered an A22 in early December, my second boat with Seth. He has been very transparent throughout the whole process about what is going on, I would expect he is giving you the same treatment. I ordered early December and still have no spray date. I am doing my best to be patient and let the chips fall as they do. Do I have my days where I get a little frustrated not knowing what is going on, HELL YES, but I am trying to be as patient as possible. My BIGGEST concern is getting a QUALITY boat. If I do not see my boat till late May but it comes out of the factory well put together with few issues, I'll be the loudest Malibu supporter even after waiting 6 months for a boat. Last thing I want is a boat that is rushed out of the factory, built by people working 16 hour days that are exhausted,  just to meet a date, and then having lingering issues that cause disruptions in my summer.

@IXFE Makes some GREAT points about supply and demand. I work in the aviation industry and what we are seeing with parts that are normally EASILY obtainable is mind boggling. I have been in the industry for over 16 years and have never seen delays or pricing like what we are seeing right now.

One thing you have to keep in mind, you ordered a 23LSV, Malibu's highest selling boat, during a re-fresh year, during demand like no one has seen. One thing I have learned from this site is the number of molds Malibu uses to build boats. I do not remember the actual number off the top of my head but its small, like 7 or 8 I believe, so that is all they can build at one time. Say you ordered a 25LSV or another model I would expect you may of gotten your boat a LITTLE sooner. I would expect dealer volume plays a big factor, as well as well as shipping arrangements and probably more things that we even realize.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, IXFE said:

the Bronco forum

By the way, I did see a new Bronco on the road two days ago, so I guess they are actually delivering some.  It looked great!

11 minutes ago, justgary said:

By the way, I did see a new Bronco on the road two days ago, so I guess they are actually delivering some.  It looked great!

What you saw was a Bronco Sport (small suv based off the Escape). They’ve been out for months. The Sport isn’t even remotely similar to the actual Bronco (based off the Ranger) which isn’t in production yet. The Sport isn’t a trim level; it’s a completely different model built in a different plant. There are over 190k reservations for the actual Bronco. Walk into a Ford dealer today and not only will you not see one, but you can’t even place an order (unless you have one of those 190k reservations). Ford will build all the customer reserves Broncos before building ONE for dealer stock. General public won’t be able to get one until late in 2022, at best. Unless dealers manage to scoop up some cancelled orders... and they will do what dealers do... mark it way up. Perhaps then we’ll see a thread: “Very disappointed in Ford.”

9C02F298-9280-402B-9610-97A72686BCA9.jpeg

i had a small dealer, i dont see the issue, when SG was intro’d to axis and second year for Sg in malibu i waited 3.5 almost 4 months so 6 or 7 with the supply issues snd demand is not out of line

2 minutes ago, IXFE said:

What you saw was a Bronco Sport (small suv based off the Escape). They’ve been out for months. The Sport isn’t even remotely similar to the actual Bronco (based off the Ranger) which isn’t in production yet. The Sport isn’t a trim level; it’s a completely different model built in a different plant. There are over 190k reservations for the actual Bronco. Walk into a Ford dealer today and not only will you not see one, but you can’t even place an order (unless you have one of those 190k reservations). Ford will build all the customer reserves Broncos before building ONE for dealer stock. General public won’t be able to get one until late in 2022, at best. Unless dealers manage to scoop up some cancelled orders... and they will do what dealers do... mark it way up. Perhaps then we’ll see a thread: “Very disappointed in Ford.”

9C02F298-9280-402B-9610-97A72686BCA9.jpeg

Yup, that's what I saw.  And my subtle effort to taunt you about not having yours yet failed miserably....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, justgary said:

Yup, that's what I saw.  And my subtle effort to taunt you about not having yours yet failed miserably....

Actually, there is a very remote chance you saw a real one (especially if you live in Michigan)... there are a few pre-production units floating around. 

As far as taunting... I certainly deserve it, but @Txstoj wins that trophy today. 

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1