Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 Wakesetter 23 LSV - Medallion Gauge Failure

Hi all, 

I've got a problem with my 2004 Malibu. The Medallion computer is totally fried. Part # is 7018-00002-01 (Medallion). I understand that this can be a relatively common problem. My question to you all is, what are the different options for gauges on our boats? Ideally, I'm looking for the best value. This is what I'm thinking so far:

1) Analog Gauge Swap - This seems to be a relatively easy swap (at least on the mastercraft forums), where you effectively remove the wiring harness, and connect the correct wires to the correct gauge. As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the Medallion computer takes an analog engine signal, transmits it to digital, and then send to the gauges. As such, it could be a "simple" plug and play with the analog gauges. A knew dashboard would have to be fabricated as well, but I believe this is a much more reliable route. Estimated cost to do work myself ~ $5-600 in parts (new dash/new gauges) 

2) Medallion EDC Replacement - part is ~$850, and will require calibration after the fact. Will be able to retain the stock gauges, but have concerns on longevity. Time to calibrate with a mechanic would cost ~? (maybe $4-600?)

3) Is there bluetooth system that connects to the OBDII port on the engine, and will transmit the information to screen that I could install on the gauges?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on what I've listed, as well as if there are any other options you've discovered. Also, let me know if you've run through an issue with your medallion computer, and what your solution was. 

Thank you,

Pick Door Number 1!  https://skiboatpartsonline.com/Medallion-Conversion-Kit-Malibu-TRD-1201-MAL?search=conversion kit (Sadly, prices have gone up a bit, but I guess...)  Many people have done this and it gets the MDC right out of the picture.  Options for PerfectPass, too. 

For option 2, the box is Plug'n'pray (that it lasts) so no mechanic needed.

AFAIK no Option three exists.  Oh, as for #1, you can roll your own.  There are instructions on the web.  Would likely cost under $400, depending on gauges.

Before you buy anything, it might be worth taking your old box apart and resoldering all of the connections you see, even if they look OK.  A little time spent that might be fun, and might bring the unit back to life.

Also, how did you confirm the box was dead?  did you test for voltage going into the medallion box, but nothing coming out?  I have replaced bad boxes on two different previous boats.  On my current boat, I was able to confirm it wasn't the box, just an issue with the connection on the input wiring.

Is every gauge ran off the medallion box? Oil, temp, how about the depth gauge ? I have an 01 SS.      I’d rather roll my own gauge package I think. Actually on second thought, the conversation with the ski boat Trd kit is nice and easy.

Edited by williemon
10 minutes ago, williemon said:

Is every gauge ran off the medallion box? Oil, temp, how about the depth gauge ? I have an 01 SS.      I’d rather roll my own gauge package I think. Actually on second thought, the conversation with the skidim kit is nice and easy.

The depth gauge on your boat is separate; most likely Lowrance.

16 minutes ago, williemon said:

I’d rather roll my own gauge package I think.

If you decide to go this route  - I was thinking the same as you, but figured I would rather ski than solder :) - here's a great write-up on TeamMC (gasp! )  https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=61353&t=61353  Ron Tanis is a pretty good guy and his stuff just works.  Although I do not know much about his new stuff. 

Oh, I forgot to mention.  Since my Lowrance LDT-3000 (air and water temp) is dead and NLA, I had Ron sub in a faria clock.  One of these days I will get around to adding  a water temp gauge in the pitot slection spot on my dash. Or not.

On 3/16/2021 at 1:33 PM, justgary said:

Before you buy anything, it might be worth taking your old box apart and resoldering all of the connections you see, even if they look OK.  A little time spent that might be fun, and might bring the unit back to life.

Yep...my vote goes here...I did it and it fixed my gauge issues.

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2021 at 7:25 AM, cowwboy said:

There is an option #3. 

Mefi interface. https://fox-marine.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=81

I realize this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone knows what is available signal wise on the NMEA.  I have a newer perfect pass already so MPH/RPM are taken care of, but I'd like Fuel, Engine Temp, Oil Pressure, Voltage and Depth.  If those are on the NMEA I am contemplating just embedding a Lowrance Depth finder in the dash.

44 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I realize this is an old thread, but wondering if anyone knows what is available signal wise on the NMEA.  I have a newer perfect pass already so MPH/RPM are taken care of, but I'd like Fuel, Engine Temp, Oil Pressure, Voltage and Depth.  If those are on the NMEA I am contemplating just embedding a Lowrance Depth finder in the dash.

The list of data is shown on the Fox Marine site.  Choose the version that is correct for your ECM.

• 1 year later...

Finally moving forward with my conversion.  I assume in 04 I have a mefi 4 but would like to confirm.  A quick look under the hood and I didn't see the ecm.  Where is it hiding so I can verify?

3 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Finally moving forward with my conversion.  I assume in 04 I have a mefi 4 but would like to confirm.  A quick look under the hood and I didn't see the ecm.  Where is it hiding so I can verify?

In the engine compartment there is a plastic cover over it. Mine sits right on top of the trans. It has a cheesy fake carbon fiber print on it. 

Looking at the parameters you are wanting to monitor. I don't believe the fuel tank level is routed through the ECM. 

Unless you are wanting it for more diagnostic info you may be better off with the TRD quad gauge. 

I am in the same boat having PP taking care of the tach and speed. 

When / if my mmdc dies I'll either run TRD gauge or modify my dash to use a modern chart plotter and run everything into nmea2k.

Try to make it like a modern boat with ballast screens and everything.

But just the modern chart plotters are expensive. 

Fuel isn't but you can get an NMEA converter for the analog gauge.  The other parameters are and I already own the Lowrance screen so that was a cheaper option than gauges...or at least cooler.  Plus having the depths color coded for surfing so the wife can keep the boat in the right depths won't suck either!

16 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Fuel isn't but you can get an NMEA converter for the analog gauge.  The other parameters are and I already own the Lowrance screen so that was a cheaper option than gauges...or at least cooler.  Plus having the depths color coded for surfing so the wife can keep the boat in the right depths won't suck either!

Have any pics of how you have it installed in the dash? 
After seeing this project it has me wanting to upgrade my dash. 

https://www.wakegarage.com/forums/topic/1054-07-malibu-rlxi-dashboard-overhaul/

• Like 1

It's not installed yet.  Worked on the gauge panel a bit today, but haven't ordered up the converter yet.  Wanted to make sure I had cable clearance and such.  The install you linked is WAY more involved than I am going to do.  Trying to do this as simply as possibly.  I will start a thread and post pics as I get to it and finalize my plans and design.

The ECM is a serious pain to get to.  Didn't pull it today when I was down there, but pulled the serial numbers and will call Indmar tomorrow to verify.  The box sure looks like a MEFI 4, but I don't want to pay for something that doesn't work.

Considering I am really mostly interested in Fuel level, water temp and oil pressure I found a cheaper solution than the Fox Marine.  Not sure on the quality of a device like this, but it is interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/MarineNow-Analog-NMEA-signal-converter/dp/B09XLQ5LDV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ECZG0BW1VX6C&keywords=pressure+fuel+to+nmea&qid=1692723564&sprefix=pressure+fuel+to+nmea%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

As an aside, they are available from Aliexpress for $15 as well so it seems a bit like a no brainer.  RPM & MPH I already have.  Any reason to make this more complicated than that?

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for the converter, but the dash is in.

TJSZW5e.jpg

That was my temp to mock it up.  I'd like to find a nicer piece of wood I can just stain, but it has to be flexible and 1/4" ply is easy to bend.  

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Still waiting for the converter, but the dash is in.

TJSZW5e.jpg

That was my temp to mock it up.  I'd like to find a nicer piece of wood I can just stain, but it has to be flexible and 1/4" ply is easy to bend.  

That looks stunning!  Once you have it all up and running would you post a list of all the parts and supplies that you used?  I'm sure I'll have to do this sooner than later as well.  Thanks

On 9/5/2023 at 11:10 AM, blk93jeepzj said:

That looks stunning!  Once you have it all up and running would you post a list of all the parts and supplies that you used?  I'm sure I'll have to do this sooner than later as well.  Thanks

Thanks.  I will.  So far it is just a Lowrance graph...but it's already another marriage saver.  Have 1 ' contour maps so red is under 5' deep, blue from 5'-20' and green for surfing (>20')