Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04 Wakesetter 23 LSV - Medallion Gauge Failure

Hi all, 

I've got a problem with my 2004 Malibu. The Medallion computer is totally fried. Part # is 7018-00002-01 (Medallion). I understand that this can be a relatively common problem. My question to you all is, what are the different options for gauges on our boats? Ideally, I'm looking for the best value. This is what I'm thinking so far:

1) Analog Gauge Swap - This seems to be a relatively easy swap (at least on the mastercraft forums), where you effectively remove the wiring harness, and connect the correct wires to the correct gauge. As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), the Medallion computer takes an analog engine signal, transmits it to digital, and then send to the gauges. As such, it could be a "simple" plug and play with the analog gauges. A knew dashboard would have to be fabricated as well, but I believe this is a much more reliable route. Estimated cost to do work myself ~ $5-600 in parts (new dash/new gauges) 

2) Medallion EDC Replacement - part is ~$850, and will require calibration after the fact. Will be able to retain the stock gauges, but have concerns on longevity. Time to calibrate with a mechanic would cost ~? (maybe $4-600?)

3) Is there bluetooth system that connects to the OBDII port on the engine, and will transmit the information to screen that I could install on the gauges?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on what I've listed, as well as if there are any other options you've discovered. Also, let me know if you've run through an issue with your medallion computer, and what your solution was. 

Thank you,

Pick Door Number 1!  https://skiboatpartsonline.com/Medallion-Conversion-Kit-Malibu-TRD-1201-MAL?search=conversion kit (Sadly, prices have gone up a bit, but I guess...)  Many people have done this and it gets the MDC right out of the picture.  Options for PerfectPass, too. 

For option 2, the box is Plug'n'pray (that it lasts) so no mechanic needed.

AFAIK no Option three exists.  Oh, as for #1, you can roll your own.  There are instructions on the web.  Would likely cost under $400, depending on gauges.

Before you buy anything, it might be worth taking your old box apart and resoldering all of the connections you see, even if they look OK.  A little time spent that might be fun, and might bring the unit back to life.

Also, how did you confirm the box was dead?  did you test for voltage going into the medallion box, but nothing coming out?  I have replaced bad boxes on two different previous boats.  On my current boat, I was able to confirm it wasn't the box, just an issue with the connection on the input wiring.

Is every gauge ran off the medallion box? Oil, temp, how about the depth gauge ? I have an 01 SS.      I’d rather roll my own gauge package I think. Actually on second thought, the conversation with the ski boat Trd kit is nice and easy.

Edited by williemon
10 minutes ago, williemon said:

Is every gauge ran off the medallion box? Oil, temp, how about the depth gauge ? I have an 01 SS.      I’d rather roll my own gauge package I think. Actually on second thought, the conversation with the skidim kit is nice and easy.

The depth gauge on your boat is separate; most likely Lowrance.

16 minutes ago, williemon said:

I’d rather roll my own gauge package I think.

If you decide to go this route  - I was thinking the same as you, but figured I would rather ski than solder :) - here's a great write-up on TeamMC (gasp! )  https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=61353&t=61353  Ron Tanis is a pretty good guy and his stuff just works.  Although I do not know much about his new stuff. 

Oh, I forgot to mention.  Since my Lowrance LDT-3000 (air and water temp) is dead and NLA, I had Ron sub in a faria clock.  One of these days I will get around to adding  a water temp gauge in the pitot slection spot on my dash. Or not.

gary_tenison
On 3/16/2021 at 1:33 PM, justgary said:

Before you buy anything, it might be worth taking your old box apart and resoldering all of the connections you see, even if they look OK.  A little time spent that might be fun, and might bring the unit back to life.

Yep...my vote goes here...I did it and it fixed my gauge issues.