Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me pick out a new boat

yotaisgame

New or a few years old...

What's the scoop on boat prices? It use to seem like Malibu was a bargain compared to other companies. But now I'm seeing 2021 models in the 160k range. Bought our current boat 2013 23lsv one year old for around $97k. I'm not even seeing 2019 models in that range. 

I've kept up to date on new innovations for all boats and really since integrated surf systems came out, which is why we bought a 2013, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the newest model and the 2013. 

Is it worth the upgrade? Should I look at other brands? 2018 Super Air Nautique g23's look pretty nice for the money. Mastercraft in the 2018 range? 

Hi yotaisgame,

As others will certainly post, it is not a good time to be buying a boat - definitely a sellers market. There are many threads that discuss boat shortages \ the boat market place but suffice it to say; unprecedented demand combined with (some) supply chain challenges equals sellers market. A few Bu' dealers near me are out of inventory or stock boats. Other dealerships have a few boats left but not too many. This in turn drives up the used boat market place. I am not an expert by any means but I have been told by those in the industry that the boat market place will remain this way for another year. So, you may want to wait. And, be uber glad you still have your boat. 

Chris

If prices are high all around does it make a difference? Sell high buy high. Kinda like the housing market here right now. The value of my house has gone way up. But big deal if I sell it right now. ill just end up buying high as well. 

Wrong?

We could wait but here's the thing. We are all getting older. Makes much more sense to buy now and enjoy the last years of what we have going then to wait and possibly never buy another boat. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, yotaisgame said:

We could wait but here's the thing. We are all getting older. Makes much more sense to buy now and enjoy the last years of what we have going then to wait and possibly never buy another boat. 

What don't you like about your current boat that makes a new one worth 50-100K more?

You'll get top $ for your 2013 too, so agree there's no arbitrage there. You might even find a dealer that will pay you retail for the 2013 these days, just so they have a boat on hand when people stop by the shop. 

The post-2013 price increases get you larger and deeper boats, better surf system actuators, wedge, screens, and towers, some hull tweaks and generally larger motors. There's a bunch of other misc options that add onto the price too. Whether they're worth the extra $ is up to the individual buyer. My old 2008 23 LSV put out a wave almost as good as the new boats but it took a lot more effort and setup to get there, and I hated sitting on a slope, so I'm in the newer boat camp.

The real issue is availability of a boat you want (colors, options, etc.), regardless of brand loyalty. If you find something good on the used market, it's going to move quickly. I think we're only a few weeks away from panic buying, where concerns about spending an extra $5-10K start to go out the window, just to make sure there's a boat secured for the summer.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, yotaisgame said:

If prices are high all around does it make a difference? Sell high buy high. Kinda like the housing market here right now. The value of my house has gone way up. But big deal if I sell it right now. ill just end up buying high as well. 

Wrong?

Well, I guess sell high easily and buy much higher with more difficulty.  But I am in a different boat ;). Selling my perfectly good  2012 for high 50s so that I could buy a 2020 for high 80s would not be a good deal.

54 minutes ago, yotaisgame said:

Wrong?

You know, you are right. If you and your family want a new boat and have the means to buy a new or newer boat, go for it. We see the world thru our own goggles so yea, I get it. And, at least interest rates are down if you choose to finance. Last piece of unsolicited advice. Buy soon. NWBU is right. As Spring arrives and the weather is improving, while boats are selling like hot-cakes, I would start surfing inboardsonly, boat trader, etc. 

Good luck and have fun,

Chris

Yes I'm pondering new next year but 25lsv has no walkthrough so unless there is a 27lsv the wave isn't worth another$80k For 90-95% same(actually smaller-less roomy) 25ft boat.  I want BIGGER 27lsv already! Centurion and MC , Paviti are all basically there. 

Doubt there will be much innovation or updates due to mfgs trying to simply catch up and so many 21s that will technically become 22s from delays and demand.. 

Edited by The Hulk

whats funny about it is i see guys who sold their perfectly good running boats to capitalize on covid pricing.  now you see them complaining that they cant find a deal in a used boat!!!😂😇

16 hours ago, NWBU said:

You'll get top $ for your 2013 too, so agree there's no arbitrage there. You might even find a dealer that will pay you retail for the 2013 these days, just so they have a boat on hand when people stop by the shop. 

The post-2013 price increases get you larger and deeper boats, better surf system actuators, wedge, screens, and towers, some hull tweaks and generally larger motors. There's a bunch of other misc options that add onto the price too. Whether they're worth the extra $ is up to the individual buyer. My old 2008 23 LSV put out a wave almost as good as the new boats but it took a lot more effort and setup to get there, and I hated sitting on a slope, so I'm in the newer boat camp.

The real issue is availability of a boat you want (colors, options, etc.), regardless of brand loyalty. If you find something good on the used market, it's going to move quickly. I think we're only a few weeks away from panic buying, where concerns about spending an extra $5-10K start to go out the window, just to make sure there's a boat secured for the summer.

There's a low hour 2018 g23 out of Lake O right now. Very tempting. Most the stuff you mentioned are minor tweaks. Biggest complaints about the 2013. Lack of engine power/gearing is wrong for this boat. They changed that in 2014. No alerts for transfers and transfer speed. No surf band. The hinged lower seats and all around storage layout of the 2021 and maybe 2020? Seem awesome. Would be nice to be able to wakeboard with more weight in the boat. Very fine line there between getting on plain or not.