Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Plug and Play

Kentuckyfan6

I’m fairly new to wake boats.  Have ordered a new Malibu 23 LSV.  Was asked today if I wanted to add the plug and play bags for my boat when it arrives.  What would be the benefit of the plug and play vs what comes factory.  Sorry if this is a common knowledge question.  Just not familiar with this type of system 

The factory hard tanks are below the floor of the boat.  The Plug and Play are bags that are added onto the onboard system.  Depending on what bags you add in, you can easily add 1500 lbs or more to the back of the boat.

The upside is a bigger wake.  The downside is less storage in the back compartments when the bags are filled.  The way it works is a gravity system, so with the bags attached, water fills into the hard tanks under the floor and the "spills over" into the bags that are added in.  Draining is the same way, meaning it drains from the hard tanks "first" and the water from the bags drains down into the hard tanks to be emptied out.

Depending on what you are doing with your boat, you might get good benefits adding the PNP bags.

Plug and play bags will give a little better wave for surfing or a wake board. The 4 factory ballast tanks will easily allow for surfing either side of the boat and give a good wb wake for all but the most demanding surfer or wake boarder. My wife particularly likes a little taller wave than the stock ballast system will provide so we ordered the pnp option. We got the 570 bags from the dealership w/ 20% discount after delivery so as not to finance plastic bags. The stock pnp option will be delivered plumbed with closing caps installed so as to be able to be used w/o the bags until installed by the owner or dealership. Unscrew the caps and install the bags is all it takes. Save the caps and I keep mine on the boat just in case of a bag leak so it won’t ruin a boat day. IMO the up front cost from the factory will be cheaper in the long run than ordered from the dealership later on through labor costs and normal price increases. When you go to sell  the second question right after the engine size will be about the pnp bags. JM2C

No problem - By the way, you can always add the bags after you use it on the water....it doesn't have to be right away, and they are pretty easy to hook up.

I'm going to much more strongly recommend these PNP bags as a must have item if you plan to surf. Without PNP you're spending 6 figures on a pretty lousy surf boat. Your dealer should be making that clear, but every year we see folks come on here without PNP and rant about how awful their surf wave is, so I realize not every dealer is educating about PNP.

If you only want to wakeboard, then whether you use them or not will vary based on skill level. 

Congrats on the new boat and welcome here!

BTW, it's a great surf boat with PNP, in case you're worried that adding PNP only takes it from being lousy to mediocre.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, NWBU said:

I'm going to much more strongly recommend these PNP bags as a must have item if you plan to surf. Without PNP you're spending 6 figures on a pretty lousy surf boat. Your dealer should be making that clear, but every year we see folks come on here without PNP and rant about how awful their surf wave is, so I realize not every dealer is educating about PNP.

If you only want to wakeboard, then whether you use them or not will vary based on skill level. 

Congrats on the new boat and welcome here!

BTW, it's a great surf boat with PNP, in case you're worried that adding PNP only takes it from being lousy to mediocre.

:plus1:

Also, don't go with the biggest bag you can fit in there. Go with the factory recommended (450 or 550 IIRC) size and you will be just fine. Gone are the days of having to slam these boats to the absolute max to get the best surf wave. You can actually hinder the wave more than help it will too much weight with the advancements in the hull, gates and wedge over the years.

Congratulations on the new boat and post pictures!

Kentuckyfan6

I just got off the phone with my dealer.  1100 pds extra for 700.00. I told them to add them

Edited by Kentuckyfan6
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Kentuckyfan6 said:

I just got off the phone with my dealer.  1100 pds extra for 700.00. I told them to add them

Like @ahopkinsVTXsaid, it’s easy to overload the rear with the larger bags and everyone is piled in back to watch the surfing, so I’d start off filling the rears to 75%. You’ll get a cleaner wave that way, and then you can adjust as you get used to the boat.

You can tell there’s too much weight in the rear/not enough in the bow if the water spilling over the surfgates is washing out or messing up the face of the wave.

43 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

i think he means two 550’s 

Right, that’s what I was responding to. 475’s can generally be run full but you’d better put the heavy friend in the bow if the 550s are full.

Good edit though for when this thread gets googled and others need the context.

Edited by NWBU
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Kentuckyfan6 said:

Good call, and graduations.

Your dealer not having them standard on the build is a bit concerning.  There could be other options he left out or failed to discuss at the time of ordering.

Here's a good thread of other crew members must have options you may want to add, if its not too late.

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/77029-new-boat-options/&tab=comments#comment-1157383