Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

When will Malibu go electric?

I see Nautique now has the GS22E, totally electric Super Air. Is Malibu getting into this game.

14 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

I see Nautique now has the GS22E, totally electric Super Air. Is Malibu getting into this game.

At some point, I think they will produce an electric boat.  I think they're going to have to.  

6 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

One source says MSRP* Starting at US$ 292,711  Wow.  Just Wow...

Crazy? Heh? But what does a gas GS22 cost? Oh, the price to be first.

According to Nautique's website the conventionally powered GS22 starts around $130,000. So unless I am missing something there is about $163,000 premium for the electric powered boat. Three hours average run time between battery charges and just a five year warranty on the electric propulsion system. The videos on their site did not mention how long it takes to charge the battery. I'd love to ride in and behind one but do not envision these boats being practical anytime soon. 

33 minutes ago, Murphys said:

do not envision these boats being practical anytime soon. 

I could see their practicality at a waterski school when you could rotate boats and have shore power to recharge them.  But at 300K a pop...

48 minutes ago, Murphys said:

According to Nautique's website the conventionally powered GS22 starts around $130,000. So unless I am missing something there is about $163,000 premium for the electric powered boat. Three hours average run time between battery charges and just a five year warranty on the electric propulsion system. The videos on their site did not mention how long it takes to charge the battery. I'd love to ride in and behind one but do not envision these boats being practical anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

For a guy in his mid 40's, well, he's like the Tom Brady of wakesports.  

What’s the time to charge?  Ski schools will afford this how?  Makes little sense to me.

• Like 2

It's just a matter of time. Multi motor, multi prop. Instant power. Almost no noise, no exhaust gas. Just like Tesla, autopilot. They will sell. Just a matter of time.

Steve B.

• Like 3

Guessing all the manufacturers have 2035 penciled in as their current deadline for more mass market options, at least if they want to sell new boats on the west coast. I don't believe the current CA mandate includes non-vehicular engines, but would bet those get added in as electrification takes off in the next few years.   

4 minutes ago, surfdude said:

3B6CEF3A-6163-4614-A2A6-713A67F80F2E.png

Then there’s this little inconvenience right now... frozen wind turbines in Texas when the power is desperately needed. Bad things happen when there’s no reliable generation to cover base load.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/02/14/historic-winter-storm-freezes-texas-wind-turbines-hampering-electric-generation/4483230001/

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Then there’s this little inconvenience right now... frozen wind turbines in Texas when the power is desperately needed. Bad things happen when there’s no reliable generation to cover base load.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/02/14/historic-winter-storm-freezes-texas-wind-turbines-hampering-electric-generation/4483230001/

Reminds me of when the local school district bought a windmill from somewhere down south (CA I guess) to put up at one of the middle schools.  Apparently there is such a thing as a cold weather package, and they wound up having to buy one to get it retrofitted after the first winter when it stopped working.

https://www.startribune.com/california-turbines-frozen-in-minnesota-wind/83506647/

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

Personally i would love an electric ski tug. Just a few hours run time is really all we need for that purpose. Nautique did an electric ski tug a while back.... with this company

http://www.ltsmarine.com/english/boats/

https://www.boatingmag.com/amazing-electric-ski-boat/

We have near us a bunch of small lakes that you could in theory use an all electric boat on, that right now are open to non-gas powered boats and swimming only

• Like 1

GM has recently found improvements in battery life so as these technologies mature in the automotive arena, the marine market will follow as the price point becomes acceptable to the market.  Thus, not imminent and also the tunnel does have a light at the end.  Correct Craft does appear to be the industry leader on this technology path.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

This thread will not turn into a climate change/political/renewable energy debate. Please keep it to discussion of electric boats. 

Unfortunately, the two are not mutually exclusive.  Politics has a lot to do with this discussion.  I'm not attempting to combat the TOU here, but you honestly can't deny the political influence on this initiative.  

While I'm not suggesting we go down that rabbit hole of one side vs. the other, there is zero doubt that the political environment does have a lot to do with adoption of electric vehicles and certainly has an impact on the watersports that all on this forum happen to enjoy.  Adoption of electrification in the marine market is going to be extremely costly for some time, much like the automotive market.  

28 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Personally i would love an electric ski tug. Just a few hours run time is really all we need for that purpose. Nautique did an electric ski tug a while back.... with this company

http://www.ltsmarine.com/english/boats/

https://www.boatingmag.com/amazing-electric-ski-boat/

We have near us a bunch of small lakes that you could in theory use an all electric boat on, that right now are open to non-gas powered boats and swimming only

The lake on which I live has a large neighborhood on one side that's only allowed to have electric boats.  The rest of us can have whatever we want.  It was part of the developers agreement with the City when they developed that area which was a former boy scout camp for many decades.  I know at least one family that has a mid-2000's SAN 210 that they drop in the water from time to time, but they can't leave it at their dock due to the HOA and City requirements.  I can see the viability for people in that situation, however those boats are still cost prohibitive for most.  

13 minutes ago, Woodski said:

GM has recently found improvements in battery life so as these technologies mature in the automotive arena, the marine market will follow as the price point becomes acceptable to the market.  Thus, not imminent and also the tunnel does have a light at the end.  Correct Craft does appear to be the industry leader on this technology path.

I agree.  It's going to be interesting over time to see this develop, just as it has been and will continue to be, in the auto industry.  Until 2035 at a minimum, I'm planning on running petrol powered boats.  

There will be some political outcry at some point with the push to electrification in the marine market.  I'm not sure how viable it is in larger ocean going vessels, nor what the fiscal impact will be to the tourism industry, etc.  Lots to consider and unfortunately, it does all come down to the regulatory environment.  

• Like 2

I was only wondering if Malibu has any plans on an all electric boat when I started this thread. Windmills??? Texas??? Come on folks.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

I was only wondering if Malibu has any plans on an all electric boat when I started this thread. Windmills??? Texas??? Come on folks.

OTOH, an electric boat does not need to be winterized.  Even in Texas.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Unfortunately, the two are not mutually exclusive.  Politics has a lot to do with this discussion.  I'm not attempting to combat the TOU here, but you honestly can't deny the political influence on this initiative.  

While I'm not suggesting we go down that rabbit hole of one side vs. the other, there is zero doubt that the political environment does have a lot to do with adoption of electric vehicles and certainly has an impact on the watersports that all on this forum happen to enjoy.  Adoption of electrification in the marine market is going to be extremely costly for some time, much like the automotive market.  

I don’t disagree. However the way the posts above that lead to my statement were not just discussing what maybe or may not be required or how the adaptation will be handled. It was clearly directed shots to oppose electric energy that have nothing to do with electric boats. That can quickly lead to political debate which is what we will not allow. Saying the government is going to require something by 2035 or whatever is not what we are going to be cracking down on. At the end of the day this thread was started to discuss electric boats and that is how it will stay. Not how the energy is is made or the differing views on it.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

OTOH, an electric boat does not need to be winterized.  Even in Texas.  :)

High power brushless electric motors get hot and require liquid cooling.  You better drain the cooling pump and coils.  I'd also be surprised if the VFD's they run aren't water cooled.  Ours are.

• Like 2

The sheer power required to plow a wakeboat hull through the water would crush any of the current battery technology run times down to where I don't think the current consumers would bite.  I wouldn't buy a boat with a 2-3 hour runtime.  When we hit the lake we come to play.  As Woodski said, as battery technology (energy density) increases it will trickle down the to the boat industry. 

IMO cars will have stupid range before there is enough power in the battery to make a wakeboat able to play all day.  Think about it this way, with the current wake boat fuel tanks being 60+ gallons, how far could you run your current tow rig on that?  Is there an electric tow rig that will go even close to the same distance?  Not right now....maybe soon but I still think we're a way off.  :dontknow:

• Like 2